Freight contract is a JOKE !!!!!!!!

jdog

:angry: If the union thinks this is such a great contract they must be smoking crack !!! I will vote no till we get equal to package (1 company 1 contract) . We gave them 5 years allready now it is our turn. Please urge all freight employees to vote no till we get an equal contract.

makempheen

Im with ya on this TA.....its total BS. The language in this thing is still clear as mud. We need to vote: NO! Has anyone noticed that it doesnt specify how many BID positons a terminal has to have? All it says is that 90% of "bidded" positions are guaranteed. The terminal manager could only bid one position and put everyone else "on Call". Im tired of sitting around all day waiting on a phone call, only to hear "6 o'clock for OB dock". Ive been hanging on for 7 years. 10 or so people have left or retired since I came on. I havent advanced any. Hell, Ive went backwards!
At my terminal, they put the minimal amount of drivers out as possible, then dispatched is ****ed because our pick-ups out number our deliveries. Then u get a phone call, "how soon can u be here?" If you dont say "on my way" they will ****n pass you and go to the next guy. So I always say "on my way" and show up when I can. I'd rather take the write-up for being late then be passed up for work. Cause there is no-telling when they will call you again. (the difference in making $300 and $100). I expected alot more specific language in this contract. :dissapointed:

Last edited:
$2.50 4yrs to top out now insurnce going up union dues going up wtf did the teamsters even fight for us friend* that at LAX-450 where voting NO. Lets see if r brothers back us up

big boy

SGN is voting no $200.00 to $400.00 dollar deductible $65.00 mo. dues and $135.00 mo. ins. .50 cents per year rise what a joke :not_fair:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
:angry: If the union thinks this is such a great contract they must be smoking crack !!! I will vote no till we get equal to package (1 company 1 contract) . We gave them 5 years allready now it is our turn. Please urge all freight employees to vote no till we get an equal contract.

​It seems UPS delivered (pun intended) on their acquisition "promises". UPS Freight drivers are the highest paid in the LTL and TL industry.

Freight is treated as a different company within UPS and the Teamsters ... they are two separate business entities and have two different contracts.

Freight has the ability to tell UPS Corporate "NO" when it comes to proposed changes in their operations and systems.
​The reason for that is that UPS Freight is a separate cost center and operating unit and they have to be profitable.
​It is in the LTL and TL business and is already a higher cost provider.
I don't see how UPS Freight drivers total compensation can be increased without UPS Small Package transferring money to UPS Freight to prop them up.
I can almost guarantee you that will not happen.

JMO based on my observations from the sidelines and the "real" financial relationship between UPS and UPS Freight.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
​It seems UPS delivered (pun intended) on their acquisition "promises". UPS Freight drivers are the highest paid in the LTL and TL industry.

Freight is treated as a different company within UPS and the Teamsters ... they are two separate business entities and have two different contracts.

Freight has the ability to tell UPS Corporate "NO" when it comes to proposed changes in their operations and systems.
​The reason for that is that UPS Freight is a separate cost center and operating unit and they have to be profitable.
​It is in the LTL and TL business and is already a higher cost provider.
I don't see how UPS Freight drivers total compensation can be increased without UPS Small Package transferring money to UPS Freight to prop them up.
I can almost guarantee you that will not happen.

JMO based on my observations from the sidelines and the "real" financial relationship between UPS and UPS Freight.

I hate agreeing with a former UPS corporate employee, but Hoaxster is right. There simply isn't the same amount of revenue in freight as there is in small package and the industry has been living through a real "race to the bottom" (in regards to wages and total compensation) over the last 30 years. It will take time to build on the UPS Freight contract, it won't happen OverNite.

you are the highest paid in the freight industry period. You want to make 32buck an hour quit and get hired par time and wait ten to twelve years and you can have the 32buck an hour after a four year progression. On top of this you can be a swing driver which sucks real bad for ten more years.

renegade313

you are the highest paid in the freight industry period. You want to make 32buck an hour quit and get hired par time and wait ten to twelve years and you can have the 32buck an hour after a four year progression. On top of this you can be a swing driver which sucks real bad for ten more years.

..ONE COMPANY ONE UNION..
..still waiting on that...........

Catatonic

Nine Lives

​That has not been relevant since the contract in 1982 when the Teamsters sold the part-timers out.

Also, there are two separate contracts -one for Small Package and one for Freight.
There are implications in that separation.

sppollock

We would be the highest paid in the freight industry if we didnt have to pay for our medical...remember we are not even giving the basic respect of the...not 90 dollars, not 9 dollars, not 9 cents part of that speech, for us it was, we are not going to be paying anymore than we already have to pay for our medical...So we maybe paid more per hour, than take out the cost of medical insurance which I pay 150.00 a month and I am paid less per hour than others in the teamsters freight industry. I dont want 32/hr I want the same respect that other teamsters in our industry and other industries fought to get and we need to fight for that as well....

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
What should have happened at UPS Freight and UPS Cartage Service - all those jobs should have been open to package car drivers to bid when each unit was acquired. Each bidder would have had the benefit of Feeder Driver school to qualify and those drivers displaced by Package drivers would be humping cardboard in a package car.

Then you could talk equalizing wages.

I would guess, 1 of 10 drivers would have lasted the brutal beating the package car driver endures.

Last edited:
We would be the highest paid in the freight industry if we didnt have to pay for our medical...remember we are not even giving the basic respect of the...not 90 dollars, not 9 dollars, not 9 cents part of that speech, for us it was, we are not going to be paying anymore than we already have to pay for our medical...So we maybe paid more per hour, than take out the cost of medical insurance which I pay 150.00 a month and I am paid less per hour than others in the teamsters freight industry. I dont want 32/hr I want the same respect that other teamsters in our industry and other industries fought to get and we need to fight for that as well....
Did you really expect to not pay for benifits when you always have?? It never goes back. You will always pay. Your industry just doesn't make the money ours does. If you were to strike I would strike also but as far as your apples too oranges to mine it's never going to be the same. It is what it is and yiu have a pretty good gig we have just been embedded a whole lot longer.

If yiu don't like our union yiu should talk to R&L Carriers or Estes. Those jobs really really really suck. Trust me brother you think you aren't living the dream but it would be a dream for those guys. Pay yourself on the back you've already arrived.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
If yiu don't like our union yiu should talk to R&L Carriers or Estes. Those jobs really really really suck. Trust me brother you think you aren't living the dream but it would be a dream for those guys. Pay yourself on the back you've already arrived.

Maybe UPS should have made a play for Conway.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

UPS Freight drivers are paid at the top of the industry as far as others are saying on here.
Your insurance premium is pre-tax and is less than $1 per hour.
Many small package employees pay up to $350 or more per month.
BTW - Respect is earned, not granted ... and as you stated, you need to fight for that.

From the TA
Single = $45/month, Husband/Wife =$90/month, Family = $135/month

Perhaps if you could provide sources that document other Teamster jobs in the TL/LTL industry that are compensated more than you, it would provide more credibility to your claim as a second-citizen in the TL/LTL Teamster family.

Here is one for you Hoaxster, Freight drivers are more qualified with the hazmat endorsment that Package drivers do not possess. That alone makes them eligible for the same compensation.