Friday July 3rd

rod

Retired 22 years
You get there about the same time everyday, and they close before that time, they forfeit their delivery that day.

A lot depended on how they treated me on a normal day. If they were a-holes the got skipped. If they treated me like a human I went out of my way to get their stuff to them before they closed.

40 and out

In the Central, the top 90% of drivers put to work on Monday of the week are guaranteed 40 hours straight time.

They can only lay off 10% with no guarantee of 8 hours for the day.

Almost every driver on the road getting paid for 8 hours and each only has about 3 hours of work to do...you do the math.
That rule doesn't apply weeks of Christmas, New Years and JULY 4th so no guarantee of 40 hrs that week.

OPTION3

The GOOD news.....Christmas falls on a Friday....New Years/New years eve...on a Thursday,friday......3 day weekend followed by a 4 day weekend

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
The government is shut down July 3.

http://www.archives.gov/news/federal-holidays.html

And it officially observed on July 3.

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/independence-day

We are working Friday and getting paid for Saturday. Most businesses will be closed Friday and get paid for that day for the holiday.

There are a lot of businesses that really cannot afford to pay their employees an extra day like UPS is going to do.

I stand by my 99%.

Most white collar (and some blue collar, as noted above) businesses are closed the entire first week of July. The number of businesses normally open on July 3, but closed this year in observance of the Holiday, will be very small -- and comprised mostly of small businesses (like that 3 person State Farm office you deliver to). That's especially true with more retail increasingly open 364 days (and in some instances ,365) days a year.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Most white collar (and some blue collar, as noted above) businesses are closed the entire first week of July. The number of businesses normally open on July 3, but closed this year in observance of the Holiday, will be very small -- and comprised mostly of small businesses (like that 3 person State Farm office you deliver to). That's especially true with more retail increasingly open 364 days (and in some instances ,365) days a year.
Don't know about you, but on my route, I had 60 business and 40 residential. Of those 60 business, 55 were the small 3 person State Farm type offices you are referring to.

Yes, the retail will be open. But close to 3/4 of our business stops, not packages, are the small State Farm, Dr's office, tool shop, etc.

I still say 1/2 to 3/4 of the businesses will be closed. The businesses that are normally opened Saturday may work Friday and take Saturday for the holiday, but this is very few.

Government is closed, banks are closed, schools are closed, we'll see as the closures come in.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Mugarolla said:
Because it is a poor business decision to be open. 99% of the businesses will be closed celebrating the holiday.

UPS will have their list of closures and more than half the drivers won't be working anyway.

A few businesses open in each center and the residential. Either everyone will work 4 hours or half the drivers won't be needed.

If every driver requested their 8 hour guarantee, UPS will loose countless millions of dollars and will never do that again.

It won't happen though. Most of the drivers will volunteer to take the day off seeing as they are getting paid for Saturday.

Hate to bring up an old post, and I don't like to say I told you so, but for all the centers cutting half of their routes, night sorts running with a skeleton crew and feeder jobs cut out the wazoo, well....

I told you so.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
All of my retails are open and surprisingly so is the college warehouse.

2/3 of the early part of my route is closed.

All of the residentials are open.
I am not and never was worried about it.
I answered the inquiries attached to my pickup log and will attempt every stop they load on my truck today.
Whatever is closed will be sheeted as such and reattempted on Monday.

It is what it is.
Why would I expect anything else from a company that required me to work for double time plus holiday pay on the Friday after Thanksgiving last year?

Easy money

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Double time plus holiday pay on Black Friday will end in 2018.

Our center manager threatened discipline for any driver who failed to submit a closed list ahead of the holiday.

I am on vaca and did not want to screw my cover driver so I submitted a detailed list before I left.