From a part timer to all the full timers:

rellek

So I have been reading in the contract threads that some full timers say we should stop complaining, that we only work a few hours a day while they slave over 12 hours a day.
I work for an accounting firm as a CPA starting at 5am, go right to UPS afterwords until about 10pm, and work both Saturday and Sunday. I just want you guys to know that I am a slave as well; not all part timers only work 3 hours a day. I only make 60k at a mid size CPA firm, NOT getting paid for my OT, I would love the chance for a full time driving position and make more than I do at my day job. I have been at UPS for 8 years now. We are one and the same guys & gals!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
If your current job as a CPA is paying only 60K, it's time to look for a new job elsewhere. I live in one of the most depressed job markets in the country, and with a four-year accounting degree you could land an entry-level, no experience accounting job for $60K.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
So I have been reading in the contract threads that some full timers say we should stop complaining, that we only work a few hours a day while they slave over 12 hours a day.
I work for an accounting firm as a CPA starting at 5am, go right to UPS afterwords until about 10pm, and work both Saturday and Sunday. I just want you guys to know that I am a slave as well; not all part timers only work 3 hours a day. I only make 60k at a mid size CPA firm, NOT getting paid for my OT, I would love the chance for a full time driving position and make more than I do at my day job. I have been at UPS for 8 years now. We are one and the same guys & gals!

Your post should be an inspiration to all part-timers. Myself, and a of lot of people did the same thing.

The one thing to keep in mind.... the principal of "delayed gratification". You will get there.

Most of the negative "slamming" of the part-timers.... comes as a result of "certain" people that are not motivated to be anything but part-time.

But, they expect to be able to reap unreasonable rewards. All part-timers are not created equal....

I know a lot.... that do other things. Own a side business, supplement their spouses income, take care of family.... thats what the job is for.

-Bug-

rellek

Entry level jobs for mid size accounting firms in the South Jersey/Philadelphia area average 49k. I have been there 3 years, obtained CPA the second year and received a 1 time bonus. Different areas pay different salaries ( I am not moving to NYC)

GameCockFan

Really don't see what this has to do with UPS. I don't think your CPA work is quite as physically demanding as a package car driver. It's what you chose to do. Good luck landing a drivers job, but be careful what you wish for. Also you went to school for 4 years to become a CPA. You are doing the same at UPS in a way, paying your dues.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Why?
Why do u work two jobs?
Why do u want to be a driver?
If your a CPA why not just do that?

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm a full time driver. I have always sympathized with the part timer. I was one. Comparibly (hour for hour) most of you do more work than most of us drivers. You guys have every right to complain. Driving is the easiest labor job I've ever had. And Ive had plenty.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Your post should be an inspiration to all part-timers. Myself, and a of lot of people did the same thing.

The one thing to keep in mind.... the principal of "delayed gratification". You will get there.

Most of the negative "slamming" of the part-timers.... comes as a result of "certain" people that are not motivated to be anything but part-time.

But, they expect to be able to reap unreasonable rewards. All part-timers are not created equal....

I know a lot.... that do other things. Own a side business, supplement their spouses income, take care of family.... thats what the job is for.

-Bug-

I am inclined to agree up to a point.

I started working at UPS a month before I graduated from high school. I originally wanted to be a high school history teacher but they don't take care of public school teachers in my state; I worked my entire way through school and took about six years to get my bachelor's. I might go back and get a masters in the next year or two because it's something I want to do even if I don't "use" my degree. Being part-time at UPS let me accomplish this while being able to support myself and have good benefits.

However, if I ever decide to bang out a couple of kids with my current girlfriend and start a family, it's going to be a different story. I have eight years in and don't expect to be able to support a family with a PT job -- but it shouldn't take me another eight years to land a FT gig, either.

Yea but it is a part time job. There are no partime jobs with benifits as good as the central states benifits. Maybe you should ask your other employer where you have a career if they can give you as good of benifits.

UPSGUY72

Yea but it is a part time job. There are no partime jobs with benifits as good as the central states benifits. Maybe you should ask your other employer where you have a career if they can give you as good of benifits.

Better yet try to find another PT job that gives you any benefits.

wilberforce15

Better yet try to find another
PT job that gives you any benefits.

So, you can point to other PT jobs to tell us why we shouldn't be taken care of like previous part-timers have been?

But we can't point to other FT blue-collar jobs to make a case against your compensation?

It's easy to sit on that high horse when you've got full-time work, and had much better paying part-time work.

rellek

Why?

I work 2 jobs because my wife can't work. She is slowly withering away, and I have 2 kids and her to support. I want to be a driver because she became ill after I graduated college, I am tired of my day boss only wanting me to work 1 job and giving me problems when I have to leave for UPS. My firm would take 13k off the top of my salary for 1 year of benefits. Those are my reasons. I am not complaining..... this is the card we were dealt. I am simply saying that not every part timer is a lazy bum who wants everything for only 3 hours of work a day.

stink219

I work at the top shipping company in the world. This next contract I will make over 100k a year. What are you guys talking about

gotbrown

And I worked about 40% of your hours for 13% of your pay.

Average driver 10hrs average pt 3hrs thats more like 30% your responsibilty minamal..show unload/sort/preload..go home
driver shows up and is respobsible for everything as soon as he clocks in..and has to drive and think for everyone else all day...

just not comparing apples to apples..

wilberforce15

Average driver 10hrs average
pt 3hrs thats more like 30% your responsibilty minamal..show unload/sort/preload..go home
driver shows up and is respobsible for everything as soon as he clocks in..and has to drive and think for everyone else all day...

just not comparing apples to apples..

I didn't say average driver and average part-timer. I said him and me. He worked 55ish hours a week to make six-figures, and I worked 22-24 hours on average to earn 13k. My numbers are right.

His job does come with a lot more responsibility and dedication required. That's why he deserves a higher wage than mine.

However, he does not deserve $90,000 more than me.

UPSGUY72

And I worked about 40% of your hours for 13% of your pay.

You have a PT job at UPS. PT jobs are not met to live off they are to make extra money.
As I said find another PT job that give you any benefits. You won't. As a PT at UPS you get a pension and free health care to name a few bennys.

If your here to eventually get a FT position you have to wait your turn that the way the union works. When I work PT at I also had a 40 hr job, 4 10 hr days to go with it....