Front Door Demonstrations

BurntOut88

So I've been working for UPS for almost 2 years now and now I'm working in the office as a Co-Chair of CHSP. Part of my job is to create the Front Door Demos, where I greet the employees as the day sort starts and try to educate them on safety tips, reminders, or general health and wellness. I used to have a Sup who took the time and effort to plan ahead so I knew what to talk about each day, but she moved on and now I just have a folder of daily Safety Blitz'. Now all the responsibility falls to me as well as taking pictures to show to other districts of our efforts. But I'm starting to burnout; especially with COVID, the physical interactive and engaging demonstrations are limited. Not only that, most come in with no interest to acknowledge me or so late that they have no time to even stop. I really want people to be safe on the job, not just for the company, but for themselves and so I don't feel like some Front Door Clown that's taking up space or like a human pop-up ad. What can I do to give some helpful advice and add some levity during these times of general ennui?

ManInBrown

So I've been working for UPS for almost 2 years now and now I'm working in the office as a Co-Chair of CHSP. Part of my job is to create the Front Door Demos, where I greet the employees as the day sort starts and try to educate them on safety tips, reminders, or general health and wellness. I used to have a Sup who took the time and effort to plan ahead so I knew what to talk about each day, but she moved on and now I just have a folder of daily Safety Blitz'. Now all the responsibility falls to me as well as taking pictures to show to other districts of our efforts. But I'm starting to burnout; especially with COVID, the physical interactive and engaging demonstrations are limited. Not only that, most come in with no interest to acknowledge me or so late that they have no time to even stop. I really want people to be safe on the job, not just for the company, but for themselves and so I don't feel like some Front Door Clown that's taking up space or like a human pop-up ad. What can I do to give some helpful advice and add some levity during these times of general ennui?
You heroed up. That’s your fault. Should have never started doing it in the first place. There’s only one thing heroes at UPS get. More work.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You volunteered for a thankless job, I wouldn't do it. The company doesn't really care about safety, UPS only cares about what accidents and injuries cost.

Scuderia

They’re eliminating HR ppl but keeping this crap around? Smh

We don’t need a show. Just have plenty of masks, gloves, and sanitizing supplies. And maybe plenty of individually wrapped donuts lol

JJinVA

UPS doesnt care nearly as much about safety as they do about covering their own asses from lawsuits. "Were you following the methods that we taught you?! Welp, you woudnt have gotten hurt otherwise", knowing damn well about 2% of the company follows the methods as they are written to the T.

Package Stick

"Send it."
I chill at the door and tell people to be safe as well lmao.

No one gives a :censored2:. I would 100% ignore me if I was walking by me, might need to get a hot chick next to me.

I do it for the $$$ baby.

I get some solid hours doing safety stuff (I also spread pro-union sentiment, wear my Teamster shirts not UPS shirts, etc).

GenericUsername

Don't feel bad. I don't pay attention to the guy at ours either. He just sits there and talks to whoever wants to BS with him and hands out masks to those people who don't have one. He doesn't give a single friend about it either - he's getting paid.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
The real safety folk here will only focus on the big killer accidents: Powered Equipment and the most common time-loss injuries such as ankle sprains. They will clearly cut through the company culture to explain that focusing on safety will slow you down and slowing down will reduce wear on your body.

It's hard to coach people without actually seeing how they work.

Package Stick

"Send it."
I'm not "working".

I get a couple of hours a week to chill out at work and talk to people.

I 100% do it for the $$$. People don't really care about safety tbh.

BurntOut88

I may not take the 'position' seriously, but I act like an adult and take responsibility for it. I can't say the same for most that drag themselves away from their bong pipes in the morning and still manage to come in late despite the start time being after noon and expect things just to 'go their way' because 'they deserve it'.

Seriously? You chose this job same as I did: because you didn't want to be just another paper hatted trainee standing behind a greasy table with a fake smile on your face all day long. But even when it's just stacking boxes, you still somehow manage to screw that up too. Because you refuse to grow a pair, jam a rod into your spine and grow up!

You are here because you fell down so many times and expected someone else to foot the bill while you smoke up and play Fortnite.

I started out just like everyone else did; in the trailers, hauling heavy ass packages just so I can put them back in to other trailers. It was hard and painful and I nearly passed out covering multiple trailers because so many similar smart-mouthed thick skulled punks just up and left because they never realized they had to work when they come to work. But it was better than being that same old pathetic whiner who kept making the same excuses. So to those of you who think they are so hilarious and mocking others for putting general effort into ANYTHING, you are like "Where's Waldo": you blend in with the crowd despite your 'style and flair'.

So if anyone has some actual mature responses, I'm willing to hear.

Those of you who just want someone to notice you for once, leave your comments in the toilet along with your dreams for greatness that have become pathetic memories...

"And welcome to Walmart." :teethy:

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Most people care about not getting hurt at work. They just don’t like being talked down to or being expected to participate in stuff off the clock. The one good thing about being a package handler is that you don’t have to show any fake enthusiasm, you just have to do it.

UPSER1987

Most people care about not getting hurt at work. They just don’t like being talked down to or being expected to participate in stuff off the clock. The one good thing about being a package handler is that you don’t have to show any fake enthusiasm, you just have to do it.
And they really don’t like a peer talking down to them like a know it all. In our building, when you had an accident, you were required to join the safety committee. So drivers with the most accidents were trying to give advice and demos...and the other drivers just tuned them out. It began to be about making money, not making safety.

BurntOut88

For the record, I do avoid sounding like I'm talking down. It's just frustrating that so many still don't use their loadstands and toss packages around or behind very loose, half finished walls. Or throw down packages that read FRAGILE. They put glassware underneath heavy loads. And just 2 weeks ago, I had TWO walls fall on me because they didn't build them right. I was screaming until my throat was sore for help, but the part-time sups were no where. I still have gashes on my back from having to pull myself out.

And I'm not just the Co-Chair, I also mentor 3 other departments because no one wants to step up. Areas I don't work in so I'm always second guessing if I missed something, which I do, because I'm not there on the floor in the thick with everyone to know the day to day grind. So like my username, I'm burnt out and spread thin.

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
And I'm not just the Co-Chair, I also mentor 3 other departments because no one wants to step up.

Ask yourself, if management doesn’t actually give a :censored2:, why should you? It’s the same as driving and why I don’t bother anymore, I’m not going to care more than the people that can actually changes things do, it’s futile.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
For the record, I do avoid sounding like I'm talking down. It's just frustrating that so many still don't use their loadstands and toss packages around or behind very loose, half finished walls. Or throw down packages that read FRAGILE. They put glassware underneath heavy loads. And just 2 weeks ago, I had TWO walls fall on me because they didn't build them right. I was screaming until my throat was sore for help, but the part-time sups were no where. I still have gashes on my back from having to pull myself out.

And I'm not just the Co-Chair, I also mentor 3 other departments because no one wants to step up. Areas I don't work in so I'm always second guessing if I missed something, which I do, because I'm not there on the floor in the thick with everyone to know the day to day grind. So like my username, I'm burnt out and spread thin.

Here's an idea, trust that people can make decisions to be safe on their own without being treated like children. The only reason anyone works unsafely is because their sups are breathing down their necks about production. Focus on getting sups to stop being idiots, that will be the most effective way to use your time to actually improve safety. Not that getting sups to stop being idiots is possible, but it would still be a better use of time.