Frustrated!!!

Doddsy08

I've been working for UPS for 2.5 years now and I've accomplished so much. I started off as a loader and still am, in a way. I've worked in small sort for awhile and was asked to take the sort test and I'm currently on the safety committee. And right now for peak season, I started off as a driver helper, but was offered my own route. I don't drive a package car, but someone drops of a trailer for me and I deliver the packages by myself downtown using a push cart. I'm essentially doing what the delivery drivers do, but I don't drive. Kinda neat I think, especially since I've only been working there for 2.5 years. Anyways, I was pretty big (fat) when I first started there so it was rough for me. I still remember one of the supervisors telling me to go faster or I wouldn't reach seniority. But after 2.5 years, I'm confident to say that I'm the best loader on my shift. It's a given that if I load the whole night, I'll have the most scans out of all the loaders. There was a Friday a couple weeks back that I was miserably sick, coughing like crazy and felt extremely dizzy. Funny thing is, I still had the highest scans out of all the loaders that night, and I personally took an extended break. Its frustrating. I always check my scans at break to see where I'm at, and that number will still be higher than what some kids scan the entire night. Simply enough, I could go home at break and still post higher numbers than majority of the loaders. I work the hub at my location, roughly 11 pm to 3 am. Managing that work schedule with school has been difficult, but I've managed. After 2.5 years, I know all of the trailers and feel comfortable loading in them, approximately 35 different trailers. I have a friend that has been working there about 2 years now, and only knows about 7 trailers. He has the blue belt split because he is good friends with our supervisor. Funny thing is I'm better at splitting than he is. Its frustrating that people with less seniority than me and have a terrible work ethic have a position that I want. And it's incredibly frustrating that I'm stuck loading because essentially I'm the fastest loader. Loading anywhere between 1,400 and 1,800 packages in 3.5 hours is a lot of work and mentally and physically fatiguing, especially night after night. The only reason that I continue to do this is in hopes of it getting me to where I want to be, preferably a supervisor position. My supervisor and I get a long pretty well. He says that he would have me pull if he could, but that it would cause "drama." The supervisor that I have right now has been the most fair to me out of the other ones that I've had in the past, so part me doesn't want to cause problems. But I'm getting to the point where I don't even want to go into work and ever night seems to test my temper even further. I've loaded, split, pulled, sorted, unloaded, worked in smalls, do safety observations, mentor new hires, some computer work as well as paper work, and I'm still stuck loading! What do I have to do? Nights that I end up loading, if there is nothing to load on my belt, I'll hope over to the other belts and load for a while. I believe the other night I was in 19 different loads, and some kids only know 7 trailers after 2 years. Come on. I set my belt up, get it ready for the night by putting load stands in the trailers and placing rollers in each trailer as well. And I close the trailers up at the end of the night. So I pretty much get there as early as I can and stay as late as I possibly can. I'm confident in calling my self a hard worker. It was a couple days ago that a supervisor referred to me as a safety hazard, because I work too hard. I'm always moving around, keeping myself busy, and I see other kids standing around. A couple nights ago I was up on the sort aisle and my belt was getting a lot of volume (I work on the blue/green belt. It's two different belts but they are connected. Essentially one long belt, just divided into two) The amount of volume that causes egress problems and puller throwing packages into trailers. So I get sent off the sort aisle by the supervisor to go help my belt out. I get up there and there are kids standing around. Its irritating and frustrating because I'm constantly busy at work. Anyways, Iim playing the waiting game for a supervisor position to open up. I feel confident that I'll get one and the hub supervisor told me that I was looking good as a candidate. Sorry for ranting, but it felt good. I'm aware that my thoughts might be a little jumbled, but writing it all out sure helps to sooth the situation--- for now.

nystripe96

I'm a rookie loader, but I notice my supervisors are sooo stressed out because the incompetent work of their understudies falls directly on there plate. As soon as I have a missort that becomes a misload my supe turns green. Poor load quality....big walls he has to hear about it from management. Low pph, its his fault not ours. It's gotta be hard having no control of other peoples screw ups & having to take the blame every time. It sounds like you're boasting a bit much, don't fault others for knowing less than you. That being said, if you become a supe, I have no doubt you'll be a great mentor & teacher, so best of luck.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
You need to work smarter, not harder. Sure, it may seem hard, but your only making it harder on yourself. Supervisor is only a way out, but be far warned. Just because its a way out of real work doesnt mean you'll not be doing the same thing regardless, with even more expectation on your part.

Doddsy08

Haha, I hear what you're saying. Your comment made me think of my supervisor. He was a hard worker before being promoted. Though I get along with him and he's understanding of my position, falling asleep in trailers I believe falls in the category of a bad sup. But with my situation, I'm a relatable guy that knows what needs to be done. Thanks for the response CaliforniaPaul, and I understand your point of view.

bumped

Smaller paragraphs would make this read a lot better. I read the first 4 lines and then jumped down to the last sentance.

Southwestern

UPS rewards its hardest workers with... more work. Seriously. You need to recognize that part-time management is a club, and they get to decide who joins. Unfortunately, rarely is it the most qualified or deserving candidates.

Doddsy08

I'd like to say that my hub is a little more laid back than what I read online, especially about sups getting yelled at. Though I hear about it, I like to believe that the sups are not doing their jobs correctly. I understand it would be frustrating to have to take the blame for poor load quality and miss loads, but I believe that the if the sups are nice to their workers, then the workers will respond in an appreciative manner. If you piss one of your loaders off, it would be no surprise for the loader to load packages without scanning them. Retaliation. I feel like I have the right to boast about how much I've achieved. I took the initiative to learn the other positions my hub offers. I'm proud of what I've achieved, shouldn't I be? I'm not putting others at fault for knowing less than I do, I'm simply frustrated that people with poor work ethic have a position that I want and can perform much better and efficiently. Thank your Nystripe96 for listening and responding, I appreciate it. Note that I don't mean anything I say with a harsh tone. I'm proud of what I've achieved for this company, but just frustrated with the position I'm in. And thank you for your last comment about me having the potential to be a great mentor/teacher. It's really reassuring. Thank you Nystripe96. I mean it.

Doddsy08

Bumped- Sorry about that, I just really needed to vent! But thanks though for giving an effort, I appreciate it. Must likely I wont post a vent again, but I was hoping that someone would be able to relate. Thanks Bumped.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Vent away. Better and more productive to do it here. Instead of to your family and friends who have no clue.

Doddsy08

Southwestern- Thanks for the comment. I'm feeling better after venting. Yeah I understand that if you have a worker that knows what he/she is doing and knows how to get stuff done, they're gonna be your trump card during difficult times. I agree with you on some of the sups that have been promoted weren't the most qualified or deserving. I feel I stand out from the rest, this I'm confident about, and I get along with pretty much everyone at work and i'm in good standings with the supervisors. I just have to have patience. I like to refer to myself as the type of guy thats easy to love and hard to hate. But I'm sure there are a couple people out there that could disagree. Thanks again for your comment Southwestern, I'm very appreciative of your time to read my vent and comment.

UPSGUY72

Understand your in the union working harder then then the guy next to you isn't going to get you a raise or better position it's only going to get you more work. Everything comes down to seniority a lazy bum working next to you will get a drivers job before you if you and he bids on it.

Also becoming a PT SUP might make your job less physical at times but the mental stress that you're going to be put through day in and day out isn't worth it.

I try to leave work at the door when I go home at night and start fresh the next morning when I get to work. You can't change the past or the future you only can change the present so stop worrying about what you can't change.

Doddsy08

ORLY!?!- I understand what you're saying. If you're not smart about how you work, you may end up making it more difficult on yourself. I feel l incorporate both. When I pull for the night, I understand that the loaders are essentially working for me. If I do what I can to make it easier on them, by placing labels up and pushing boxes down to them and help clean up the sides of the trailer, they're gonna be appreciative and be able to clean up trailers faster, in turn making it easier for me. Its a symbiotic relationship. I depend on the loaders, as well as they depend on me. I know what it's like to load for a puller that do what they can to make it easier for themselves. I'm ready for the responsibility and the leadership role of running my own belt. I know that with becoming a supervisor, they're gonna expect more from me. I feel capable, ready, and confident.

Doddsy08

UPSGUY72- I don't mean anything with disrespect, but I disagree with the majority of what you said. A year ago roughly, the hub supervisor addressed me and asked me to take the sort test. He choose me over everyone else and I got a dollar raise. Working harder than the guy next to me has gotten me a raise and a filler position up on the sort aisle. By doing what I can and working hard, the present, will eventually get me the position I seek, the future. I choose to work hard so I stand out. And those that stand out will be recognized. It may be difficult to stay positive, but I haven't given up yet. There is aways in exception, and I was that when the hub sup choose me to take the sort test over those with higher seniority. I agree with you that work life and home life should stay separated! It can't be healthy to have work effect your home life. I'm trying my best. I would like to thank you for your time, but it's clear we disagree. Thank you.

JonFrum

Doddsy08, you need to read your Union Contract.

Article 22 gives you the right to bid a job you want as one opens up. (Though not during Peak, unfortunately.)
- - -
You say, "And right now for peak season, I started off as a driver helper, but was offered my own route. I don't drive a package car, but someone drops of a trailer for me and I deliver the packages by myself downtown using a push cart. I'm essentially doing what the delivery drivers do, but I don't drive."

Are you getting $16.10 or more an hour as a delivery person instead of Driver's Helper Pay? You aren't a Driver's Helper if there is no driver around to help.
- - -
" . . . the hub sup choose me to take the sort test over those with higher seniority."
This sure sounds like a violation of Seniority to me.

Doddsy08

JonFrum- I'm getting paid 12.88 for the seasonal position. Maybe its just regional because I've read that some people were only making roughly 9.50 for their season position. But it is something I will look into. How did you find out about this? Is it it the Union Contract? I should talk to my union rep about this or give HR a call. The whole seniority deal with the sort test, I wasn't directly asked by my hub sup to take it, another sup told me that my hub sup wanted me to take it. I remember when I first started we had a group PCM and my hub sup told everyone that they were looking for someone to become sort certified and that there was a dollar raise. I don't know if other people showed an interest in taking the test with higher seniority than me. I was just told that my hub sup wanted me to take it. Thanks a lot JonFrum for giving me your insight.

Southwestern

Are you getting $16.10 or more an hour as a delivery person instead of Driver's Helper Pay? You aren't a Driver's Helper if there is no driver around to help.

While I agree with you, the union doesn't (yay for Hoffa). Much has been written about UPS dumping loads at helpers' homes (or a neutral location) and having the helpers deliver the packages through bicycle (peddling as much as 200 lbs. at once -- for $8.50/hour!), golf cart or foot. At my center, UPS dumped two 48' trailers at a local mall and heaps of helpers deliver from them; the practice ended only because the mall wasn't happy the trailers were parked there all day and demanded extortion-rate rent.

One thing I've pondered about helpers: as an employee in the Central States region, I always earned $11.66 (later $12.88) when I worked as a helper, even though my inside wage had swelled beyond $20. For those inside employees living outside the Central States, do you earn your inside wage when you help? Or is it just $8.50/hour?

I've been working for UPS for 2.5 years now and I've accomplished so much. I started off as a loader and still am, in a way. I've worked in small sort for awhile and was asked to take the sort test and I'm currently on the safety committee. And right now for peak season, I started off as a driver helper, but was offered my own route. I don't drive a package car, but someone drops of a trailer for me and I deliver the packages by myself downtown using a push cart. I'm essentially doing what the delivery drivers do, but I don't drive. Kinda neat I think, especially since I've only been working there for 2.5 years. Anyways, I was pretty big (fat) when I first started there so it was rough for me. I still remember one of the supervisors telling me to go faster or I wouldn't reach seniority. But after 2.5 years, I'm confident to say that I'm the best loader on my shift. It's a given that if I load the whole night, I'll have the most scans out of all the loaders. There was a Friday a couple weeks back that I was miserably sick, coughing like crazy and felt extremely dizzy. Funny thing is, I still had the highest scans out of all the loaders that night, and I personally took an extended break. Its frustrating. I always check my scans at break to see where I'm at, and that number will still be higher than what some kids scan the entire night. Simply enough, I could go home at break and still post higher numbers than majority of the loaders. I work the hub at my location, roughly 11 pm to 3 am. Managing that work schedule with school has been difficult, but I've managed. After 2.5 years, I know all of the trailers and feel comfortable loading in them, approximately 35 different trailers. I have a friend that has been working there about 2 years now, and only knows about 7 trailers. He has the blue belt split because he is good friends with our supervisor. Funny thing is I'm better at splitting than he is. Its frustrating that people with less seniority than me and have a terrible work ethic have a position that I want. And it's incredibly frustrating that I'm stuck loading because essentially I'm the fastest loader. Loading anywhere between 1,400 and 1,800 packages in 3.5 hours is a lot of work and mentally and physically fatiguing, especially night after night. The only reason that I continue to do this is in hopes of it getting me to where I want to be, preferably a supervisor position. My supervisor and I get a long pretty well. He says that he would have me pull if he could, but that it would cause "drama." The supervisor that I have right now has been the most fair to me out of the other ones that I've had in the past, so part me doesn't want to cause problems. But I'm getting to the point where I don't even want to go into work and ever night seems to test my temper even further. I've loaded, split, pulled, sorted, unloaded, worked in smalls, do safety observations, mentor new hires, some computer work as well as paper work, and I'm still stuck loading! What do I have to do? Nights that I end up loading, if there is nothing to load on my belt, I'll hope over to the other belts and load for a while. I believe the other night I was in 19 different loads, and some kids only know 7 trailers after 2 years. Come on. I set my belt up, get it ready for the night by putting load stands in the trailers and placing rollers in each trailer as well. And I close the trailers up at the end of the night. So I pretty much get there as early as I can and stay as late as I possibly can. I'm confident in calling my self a hard worker. It was a couple days ago that a supervisor referred to me as a safety hazard, because I work too hard. I'm always moving around, keeping myself busy, and I see other kids standing around. A couple nights ago I was up on the sort aisle and my belt was getting a lot of volume (I work on the blue/green belt. It's two different belts but they are connected. Essentially one long belt, just divided into two) The amount of volume that causes egress problems and puller throwing packages into trailers. So I get sent off the sort aisle by the supervisor to go help my belt out. I get up there and there are kids standing around. Its irritating and frustrating because I'm constantly busy at work. Anyways, Iim playing the waiting game for a supervisor position to open up. I feel confident that I'll get one and the hub supervisor told me that I was looking good as a candidate. Sorry for ranting, but it felt good. I'm aware that my thoughts might be a little jumbled, but writing it all out sure helps to sooth the situation--- for now.
You are a HERO

satellitedriver

Smaller paragraphs would make this read a lot better. I read the first 4 lines and then jumped down to the last sentance.
You must have been taught that trick in college.:student:
I had a wonderful professor teach me that trick, on reading long reports.
Read the first paragraph.
Read the first sentence of each following paragraph.
Read the last paragraph

Sometimes too much info gets in the way of the message.