FT Driver working Saturdays

DougHeffernan

I'm a Full Time driver working 40-50 hours mon-fri that is requesting to work extra hours on Saturdays.
My question(s)
Can I come in on sat or be denied extra hours since I reached my guarantee 40?
Does seniority determine start time and hours worked over less senior PT and FT drivers also having over 40 hrs coming in for extra work.
If anyone knows article that I can quote, it would help me pop management s good ol boy balloon.
Thanks

menotyou

bella amicizia
Seniority works opposite on Saturday's. The lowest man has the highest seniority. FT'ers working on Saturday's at my center guarantees a center manager a lovely conference call at 10am Monday.

DougHeffernan

Seniority works opposite on Saturday's. The lowest man has the highest seniority. FT'ers working on Saturday's at my center guarantees a center manager a lovely conference call at 10am Monday.

So if management is already having FT drivers coming in to work can I request and bump another FT driver with less seniority? Fyi the other FT has worked over 40 hrs also.

menotyou

bella amicizia
So if management is already having FT drivers coming in to work can I request and bump another FT driver with less seniority? Fyi the other FT has worked over 40 hrs also.
You could bump a driver with more seniority. Remember, it's reversed on Saturday's. But, again, each center and district runs differently. I'd ask your BA to be sure. This is just how it works where I am at.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Saturdays are normally reserved for air drivers and casuals who work in reverse seniority order; however, if FT drivers are being used then by all means you have the right to bump a lower seniority FT driver provided no air driver or casual is displaced as a result.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
When a full time driver is needed by us on Sat. a message is sent to all drivers with the final sentence, seniority shall prevail. It has nothing to do with how many hours were worked that week. It is always sucked up by high seniority drivers.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
When a full time driver is needed by us on Sat. a message is sent to all drivers with the final sentence, seniority shall prevail. It has nothing to do with how many hours were worked that week. It is always sucked up by high seniority drivers.

This is correct we went thru this a few years back they were giving some of us Monday off and having us come in and work on Saturday. A senior driver filed on the juniors working and got a hefty little check.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I drove saturdays for a few years, as a FT 22.3. We had around 20-25 drivers going out for four centers. Many were FT drivers, some T-S FT package, however very few were 6th punch.

The key, like mentioned, is if they are calling in FT drivers , with less seniority than you. If they are working, you have the right to work.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Here in NE, the amount of hours worked DOES INDEED matter for Saturdays. FT cover drivers w/ less than 40 hours for week, have rights to 40 hours by working Saturday.

brownIEman

It will likely vary slightly between areas.

Here, Saturday is done by pt Saturday air drivers. If there is a need for FT drivers to come in, that is offered in seniority order regardless of ours worked. With the, I hope, obvious exception of anyone without enough DOT hours available.
One important note, is the sign up sheet we post every week for FT drivers interested in extra work on Sat if it is avail. If you have one in your building, which you should, make sure you are signing it. We go by that list first, in order, then start cold calling if need be, in seniority order.
I did once have a FT driver grieve a lower seniority driver working a saturday. The more senior guy never signed the extra work sheet, and his grievance predictably went no where.

barnyard

KTM rider
When a FT person is needed on a Saturday, a message is sent to all drivers saying how many hours will be needed and that it will go to the highest seniority person. There is also no 8 hour guarantee, but they usually want at least 7 hours available.

upsman68

In our center air drivers first, then TCD's. If a TCD has work 5 days and Saturday is their 6 punch then FT driver can work. They try to send TCD's home at least one day during the week but with summertime vacation schedule they have been working 6 days. I have been working maybe 3 Saturdays a month. It is an easy 3 hours and easy money.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
In our center air drivers first, then TCD's. If a TCD has work 5 days and Saturday is their 6 punch then FT driver can work. They try to send TCD's home at least one day during the week but with summertime vacation schedule they have been working 6 days. I have been working maybe 3 Saturdays a month. It is an easy 3 hours and easy money.
This is how it is in our center.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The next time I volunteer to work on a Saturday will be the first.

It's been a while but I used to work on Saturdays---easy money---about the same as working day after Thanksgiving and New Years Eve. We normally just use one driver but will add a 2nd for Mother's Day and Valentines if needed. We use cover drivers on Saturday.