FT Driving

Chnandler Bong

What I don't understand is why the route hasn't been filled? In our center, if a route goes up for bid it is there for 3 days. After the 3 days is up, it goes to the highest seniority bidder. If no bidders, it gets assigned to the highest seniority driver without a route of their own. Someone should have been assigned to the route by now. I was assigned to my first route and have been on it for almost 10 years. You might want to ask your steward or center manager why the route is still vacant.

Our center also has a practice of designating certain routes as training routes. They also give the driver a full week of training on the route. If they don't put a driver on a "training" route, but work said driver 30 days during the "free period", then they can't DQ the driver for any performance issues. They do this from time to time when they have a "cover" driver that they know they want to keep. Usually someone that worked a peak and has proven themself already.

I'm not sure what I'd do if I were in your shoes. But I've always thought that the best thing to do was gain seniority before rocking the boat. Once you're in....rock away!

And don't be one of those drivers that keeps putting off going full-time. You want to get your years in for retirement as early as possible. Trust me...you don't want to be doing this job in your 60's!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
And don't be one of those drivers that keeps putting off going full-time. You want to get your years in for retirement as early as possible. Trust me...you don't want to be doing this job in your 60's!
I'm FT and 8 years pension credit. It doesn't matter how you earn your pension credits in our local, FT driver, FT inside, etc. Double shift as a PT'er, too...

As for the other stuff, I think you are talking about a temp or seasonal person trying to make 30 days. I'm already FT seniority and should be given a fair shot to at least get familiar with the whole delivery routine and methods before putting on a bottom 5 out of 250 routes in the bldg. There was no "choice" for me whether to sign the other bid sheet, they basicaly signed it for me without discussing whether I was OK with it, that's why I told them I'm going back to my old FT job.

UPSGUY72

I'm FT and 8 years pension credit. It doesn't matter how you earn your pension credits in our local, FT driver, FT inside, etc. Double shift as a PT'er, too...

As for the other stuff, I think you are talking about a temp or seasonal person trying to make 30 days. I'm already FT seniority and should be given a fair shot to at least get familiar with the whole delivery routine and methods before putting on a bottom 5 out of 250 routes in the bldg. There was no "choice" for me whether to sign the other bid sheet, they basicaly signed it for me without discussing whether I was OK with it, that's why I told them I'm going back to my old FT job.

My building has FT preload those people still have to make there 30 days as a driver or they get DQ'd and have to go back to the preload.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My building has FT preload those people still have to make there 30 days as a driver or they get DQ'd and have to go back to the preload.

Exactly my point, a temp or casual (summer vacas, lets say) can be laid off for any reason, even if they are "good enough" . 29 days worked, lay off one, then 29 more...etc. Correct?
Just saying that if I or any FT person bidding in performed well, they can't just lay you off the bid.

barnyard

KTM rider
Exactly my point, a temp or casual (summer vacas, lets say) can be laid off for any reason, even if they are "good enough" . 29 days worked, lay off one, then 29 more...etc. Correct?
Just saying that if I or any FT person bidding in performed well, they can't just lay you off the bid.

Not correct.

You have to make 30 days in a 90 day period.

Also, in the 30 day qualifying period, you do not have the right to say where you are being trained. If a route is open, you can be assigned that route for training. If a driver retires in the summer, that route is used as a training route then it is put up for bid at the end of summer.

packageguy

If no one bids the route they can assign it to the lowest seniortiy driver,and from the sound of your posting that is you. When I first hired in many years ago I took a job in the hood because i didnt have enough seniority to go any where else. Once I got some years I transfered within the district and have been ok

I was in the same position, when I first started, Sorry but work as
directed, just do the job they trained you to do. If there is a problem
go to your shop steward before it gets out of hand. good luck

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Not correct.

You have to make 30 days in a 90 day period.

Also, in the 30 day qualifying period, you do not have the right to say where you are being trained. If a route is open, you can be assigned that route for training. If a driver retires in the summer, that route is used as a training route then it is put up for bid at the end of summer.

No one has ever told me that (not that it matters so much), thanks.

As far as the right to say where to be trained, I understand! The problem I have is that I did not bid on the route that they trained me on. The bids were up simultaneously, one route and one cover....wouldn't that hint that since I only signed the cover, I have no interest in the route NO ONE ELSE WANTS - and to save each others time? And not have to "disqualify" myself- I was told I was doing the training route, an area I was familiar with.

Re-Raise

Perhaps mnemonics will help you suck it up and do the route they gave you. If you follow the methods and know all your keys surely a man of your knowledge can handle it, or not.

upserr1

Maybe your making a bigger deal than it actually is.We all started at the bottom that's how it works.Put your time in then you can get bid on a better route.I too was in the projects when first started,and I have to tell you I met some of the nicest people and never had a problem.Would roll in after dark during peak and never once was I afraid to knock on somebody's door,Deliver a xmas pkg and the smile on the little ones faces said it all.Not ever body can live in house in a nice neighbor hood you have to deal with the hand giving to you.Your there to do your job not do a drug deal they know that and they respect you for doing what you have to do.The people who ordered the stuff worked hard to buy that and you want too blow them off. what if the shoe was on the other foot?

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Just run and gun the route. Forget about it being Getto town. I run many getto routes. You just need to focus on hitting scratch once and forget aboutyour surroundings and tunnel vision all the way.

1st week learn all the corners of route and figure on how to work around the trace to your advantage cause more then likely trace is broke up. Learn your address breaks and remember how near addresses are to your corners so you can bang out a house near corner of what streets u on to cut time on running a whole nother street out. once you learn how these streets all loop in then just run and gun through the whole route pushing yor pickups as late as possible to by more time on deliveries or learn how flexable they are maybe you can sweep them off with deliveries or early if you are nearby to cut your time. figure out what you got to work with on tose pick ups like calling them ahead to see if they have noting so you can save time by not going there. Intel is key to success.

D>R> yes D.R. back of house in getto just to hit scratch.

D>R> MC woman or Man.

If they say hold on or are on 2nd floor telling you to wait for them to get there PJ's back on screw them say I Left it on porch for you and run back to truck as you D.R. MC WOMAN OR MAN.

Fake your breaks and keep your C.O.D. envelopes with you so you can clock out as soon as you get to Center A.S.A.P.

Don't make this routine. Just do it when you have everything else worked out so you can hit scratch.

You only have to SCRATCH ONCE!!! and then it's history.

Did I forget to say Hit Scratch once that's it (1)once(1)once(1) bust it out.

Then after that NEVER FAKE A BREAK AGAIN and don't clock out till you have completely finished pulling hazemats group 2's and all paperwork turned in and stay clocked in if they want to chat with you.

1st it's their time and after scratch work smart and it's your time.

Last edited:

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
You should just take the route and try to make the best of it. I cover a "hood" route and have learned the best way to run it. Leave ALL valuables locked in the back at all times, and try to deliver the worst section early in the morning, when most people are sleeping/passed out. Don't DR anything at alll and follow safe work methods and to hell with the company. Lol

Kinda what I thought when one morning I had a Nda for a street and was going up and dude was in the middle of the road with a gun pointed to his "*&" and screaming at her that she was cheating on him. Just went around and never looked at them and made the delivery.

UPSGUY72

Just run and gun the route. Forget about it being Getto town. I run many getto routes. You just need to focus on hitting scratch once and forget aboutyour surroundings and tunnel vision all the way.

1st week learn all the corners of route and figure on how to work around the trace to your advantage cause more then likely trace is broke up. Learn your address breaks and remember how near addresses are to your corners so you can bang out a house near corner of what streets u on to cut time on running a whole nother street out. once you learn how these streets all loop in then just run and gun through the whole route pushing yor pickups as late as possible to by more time on deliveries or learn how flexable they are maybe you can sweep them off with deliveries or early if you are nearby to cut your time. figure out what you got to work with on tose pick ups like calling them ahead to see if they have noting so you can save time by not going there. Intel is key to success.

D>R> yes D.R. back of house in getto just to hit scratch.

D>R> MC woman or Man.

If they say hold on or are on 2nd floor telling you to wait for them to get there PJ's back on screw them say I Left it on porch for you and run back to truck as you D.R. MC WOMAN OR MAN.

Fake your breaks and keep your C.O.D. envelopes with you so you can clock out as soon as you get to Center A.S.A.P.

Don't make this routine. Just do it when you have everything else worked out so you can hit scratch.

You only have to SCRATCH ONCE!!! and then it's history.

Did I forget to say Hit Scratch once that's it (1)once(1)once(1) bust it out.

Then after that NEVER FAKE A BREAK AGAIN and don't clock out till you have completely finished pulling hazemats group 2's and all paperwork turned in and stay clocked in if they want to chat with you.

1st it's their time and after scratch work smart and it's your time.

This a good way to have a short driving career at UPS. You need to do what ever you have to to make your 30 days. However, don't run around thinking it is going to save time because it isn't you will go faster if your smooth and steady. Do this by stopping and sorting your next 20 to 30 stops it might take 5 minutes but it will save you a lot more. Also have a plan on how you going to deliver your next 3 or 4 stops.

You don't have to run scratch to make your 30 days. However you do need to not get hurt, not get into and accident and be improving on your numbers each day.

OptimusPrime

You should just take the route and try to make the best of it. I cover a "hood" route and have learned the best way to run it. Leave ALL valuables locked in the back at all times, and try to deliver the worst section early in the morning, when most people are sleeping/passed out. Don't DR anything at alll and follow safe work methods and to hell with the company. Lol

Worked a pretty rough route here in Indy, and the people were cool as hell. Bad neighborhoods are typically labeled bad for a reason, but for the most part, the people living there are people like everyone else. And I treated them as such, and it seemed to work. Wasn't uncommon for me to get out of the package car and be greeted with "What up Brown!" "What up UPS!". And these were guys drinking on the corner, or dealing. They all seemed to respect what I was doing. Yeah, for sure, like superballs63, take all the necessary precautions,(which realistically one would do in any neighborhood.) but I enjoyed it.

The times I had issues with people were in nice businesses and neighborhoods. People who acted like they signed my paychecks.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You keep replying that as a trainee, you have some kind of choice.

No, I keep replying that I didn't want the bid route and they wasted their time and mine by assigning me to it. If i put my name on both bids, and they approached me "listen, you are doing the other route you didn't bid , take your name down from the cover if you don't want it". That would be fair, because I wouldn't have wasted a year of qualifying.
Either way, I was confused as to that part of the process. they can just put you on anything they want, which is surprising to me. Good enough and I'm ok with the old job.

Last edited: