FT earn and learn program suspended indefinitly

brett636

Last night I was told by someone that they heard the earn and learn education assistance program had been suspended for full time employees. I could not find any such information on upsers.com, but I just got off the phone with edcor and discovered that it is true for all union employees. Its quite a disappointment as I was hoping to use that program to continue my schooling this fall. I thought it was only fair to let everyone on here know incase you are fulltime hourly and wanted to go back to school anytime soon. I am assuming all perks and benefits outside the contract are going to be suspended/canceled in order to make wall street happy. I wonder how much longer it will be until the part-time program is canceled as well. :dissapointed:

bad company

semi-pro
Figures... just finished my semester and was getting ready to turn in my grades so I could be reimbursed. Oh well... guess I'll have to go over 9.5 a few days to make up the difference :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Figures... just finished my semester and was getting ready to turn in my grades so I could be reimbursed. Oh well... guess I'll have to go over 9.5 a few days to make up the difference :)

Go ahead and turn the grades in--I would think that the current semester would be eligible for reimbursement.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Many of the things that made employment at UPS a real catch to the average laymen are slowly eroding.

Great benefits? Now you have to wait a year. Tuition reimbursement. Reasonable workload/work hours.

govols019

You smell that?
Many of the things that made employment at UPS a real catch to the average laymen are slowly eroding.

Great benefits? Now you have to wait a year. Tuition reimbursement. Reasonable workload/work hours.

UPS has never had reasonable workload/work hours. The people that measure their time at UPS in years rather than months know things like that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Somebody explain to me why this is such a bad thing. With all the overtime all the drivers are complaining about, there is no time to go to school.

Maybe they are going to school online. I am not familiar with Earn and Learn and do not know if it can be used for online school or not but if so that is an alternative to classroom instruction.

bad company

semi-pro
I drive full-time and took 3 classes online for a total of 9 semester credit hours. Most major universities offer online versions of their classes (atleast here in GA anyway). Most online classes require more work and assignments than their respective traditional counterpart due to the fact that there is zero in-class time. Wasn't easy, and it is definately time consuming, but worth it... especially when UPS pays for it :)

I drive full-time and took 3 classes online for a total of 9 semester credit hours. Most major universities offer online versions of their classes (atleast here in GA anyway). Most online classes require more work and assignments than their respective traditional counterpart due to the fact that there is zero in-class time. Wasn't easy, and it is definately time consuming, but worth it... especially when UPS pays for it :)

Good for you...so once you get this degree what do you intend to do?

55andout?

Somebody explain to me why this is such a bad thing.

I agree to a certain point. I have been sitting here for awhile now trying to figure out how to respond to this thread without sounding like sour grapes. I like to take on the impossible from time to time, so here it goes.

Did anyone in this program not see this coming? With this economic crisis we are in this was bound to happen and more things like this will likely come. I know we have all herd it over and over, volume is down nation wide. When you can't increase revenue you must controll costs. This is the first real measure taken that effects the long time/full time union employee.

The part time program is still in place as it should be. These our people who are developing themselves for positions in UPS or other places. The benefit for UPS is that one day they may apply their education at UPS but even if they dont, UPS knows that they at least have a part time employee for a couple of years.

So if you are a friend/T employee who was in this program I hope you continue with your education, it will be harder but still worth it. Remember, just like free healthcare is not a right (thats correct, its not free, you earn your health insurance everyday) your education should not be free either.

So I think I did it, I managed to say my point and not mention all the cut backs managment has gone through in the last 6 months ( no raise, cancelled 401K etc.) Good luck!

I had no intention of using this program so the ending of it does not effect me directly. I do feel bad for those that were counting on it to help them get a degree, but there are worse things in life.

LOL 55andout. That's like saying, "not to mention, yadda yadda yadda". uuuuh ya just did,.

Although it didn't sound like sour grapes to me.

55andout?

LOL 55andout. That's like saying, "not to mention, yadda yadda yadda". uuuuh ya just did,.

Although it didn't sound like sour grapes to me.[/QUOTE]

Ok trplnkl...maybe it was tart apples....so lets make pie!!!!