FT Express swing driver in south FL?

F10N55GAP-EM

Hey guys currently undergoing process to start as a FT swing courier. Ive heard all the horrors of swing driving so far but I'm trying to maybe convince myself its a work ethic issue lol. Would it be easier for me to tolerate since I was food service guy? Meaning 12 hour days 6 days a week was the norm and i was fine with it, having worked for Chefs warehouse, sysco, primeline etc. Its really discouraging hearing all this stuff.its it worse than food service? I know its kinda apples to oranges but food service isnt a joke. Maybe im just looking for some reassurance. Never been a courier anywhere.got tired of dealing with food service and need a change.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

It will be fine

I always preferred swing driving over running the same route everyday. Same route got boring, I liked having new stuff to do. It’s a personality thing, some people stress out about new routes and prefer the consistency of the same route.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Hey guys currently undergoing process to start as a FT swing courier. Ive heard all the horrors of swing driving so far but I'm trying to maybe convince myself its a work ethic issue lol. Would it be easier for me to tolerate since I was food service guy? Meaning 12 hour days 6 days a week was the norm and i was fine with it, having worked for Chefs warehouse, sysco, primeline etc. Its really discouraging hearing all this stuff.its it worse than food service? I know its kinda apples to oranges but food service isnt a joke. Maybe im just looking for some reassurance. Never been a courier anywhere.got tired of dealing with food service and need a change.

I hope you already found a place to live. Being a swing isn’t so bad. Yes, you’ll work long days during the week but you’ll never have to work Saturdays. It sucks because you never know what nasty truck you’ll get. You’re on a different route most days. You might be assigned a route, get it set up, then be switched to s new route last minute. Make sure you look at every package in your truck to verify it’s yours before the couriers around you leave. Pop Some truck loaders don’t care and will misload packages.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Another thing, don’t let poor management planning be your problem. Example, you are scheduled on a full time delivery route, but are also scheduled for a pick up PM route starting at 1500. You know you won’t be finished the day route until around 1700. Inform management before you leave the building. Maybe send them a few messages throughout the day that you won’t be starting til 1700. It’s their job to either get you help or get the early pick ups off the PM route. Do not kill yourself to get to the PM route. Do your best, but don’t kill yourself.

F10N55GAP-EM

I hope you already found a place to live. Being a swing isn’t so bad. Yes, you’ll work long days during the week but you’ll never have to work Saturdays. It sucks because you never know what nasty truck you’ll get. You’re on a different route most days. You might be assigned a route, get it set up, then be switched to s new route last minute. Make sure you look at every package in your truck to verify it’s yours before the couriers around you leave. Pop Some truck loaders don’t care and will misload packages.
Yeah I'm a local. Are weekends off a regular thing at express? That's a plus.im use to working sat and even Sundays sometimes. That's good to hear.i thought express operated weekends!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Yeah I'm a local. Are weekends off a regular thing at express? That's a plus.im use to working sat and even Sundays sometimes. That's good to hear.i thought express operated weekends!
No. Weekends off are a swing and cover driver thing. No Sundays for them either. Regular full time can be forced Saturdays and could be forced to work a Sunday or two before Christmas.

F10N55GAP-EM

OK GUYS. After looong pensative thought. I have withdrew my app for express. I applied and start as a PH at UPS for 15.50/hour. :( I am looking at the bigger picture. Incredible, I start on the 24th oct. It was so fast as far as applying and just starting. No interview .NADA. makes me feel like the PH are cannon fodder lol. It's been like a month since I got hired for express and still no start date yet.crazy.HUGE pay cut. But I'm sure it'll be better in the long run it's an investment I'm sure.

fdxsux

OK GUYS. After looong pensative thought. I have withdrew my app for express. I applied and start as a PH at UPS for 15.50/hour. :( I am looking at the bigger picture. Incredible, I start on the 24th oct. It was so fast as far as applying and just starting. No interview .NADA. makes me feel like the PH are cannon fodder lol. It's been like a month since I got hired for express and still no start date yet.crazy.HUGE pay cut. But I'm sure it'll be better in the long run it's an investment I'm sure.
Good choice.

McFeely

Huge Member
FWIW, a station I transferred from just had 2 long-time Express employees leave for UPS due to the awful management at that station.

Not saying it’s awful at every station, but you probably made a good decision.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
You were probably hired as a seasonal at UPS. Thing is, they lose PHs so quickly I wouldn’t doubt if they keep you after Peak/Christmas. UPS has premium benefits so hang in there. It’s also a toxic work environment. If I had known 36 years ago though what FedEx would turn into and the superior pay and benefits UPS would end up with in comparison, I would’ve worked at UPS.

Gone fishin

You were probably hired as a seasonal at UPS. Thing is, they lose PHs so quickly I wouldn’t doubt if they keep you after Peak/Christmas. UPS has premium benefits so hang in there. It’s also a toxic work environment. If I had known 36 years ago though what FedEx would turn into and the superior pay and benefits UPS would end up with in comparison, I would’ve worked at UPS.
Money is a little better , but two of my good friends missed their kids growing up. I’ll take less money

F10N55GAP-EM

Yeah I'm kinda depressed almost regretting withdrawing the application. 21/per hour plus OT I'm sure, is a hell of a lot better than the 15. But I don't complain,I keep my head down and I try to always work hard and efficiently perhaps UPS will see that and after a year I can be a driver. btw the job posting said part time PH 4am-10am.

One more thing, what are the odds I can be a driver after about a year? I'm sure it's been answered but all the posts I'm finding are really old on that topic.maybe things have changed as far as culture, hiring protocols, etc.

F10N55GAP-EM

I appreciate you guys giving me feedback and knowledge.im treading new waters with this whole courier thing and I'm kinda nervous. I thrive off being 900 cases deep with 4 dollies and a pallet jack lol this is all new to me.

Gone fishin

I appreciate you guys giving me feedback and knowledge.im treading new waters with this whole courier thing and I'm kinda nervous. I thrive off being 900 cases deep with 4 dollies and a pallet jack lol this is all new to me.
Remember UPS will string you along through peak and not need you in January. That’s the game

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Yeah I'm kinda depressed almost regretting withdrawing the application. 21/per hour plus OT I'm sure, is a hell of a lot better than the 15. But I don't complain,I keep my head down and I try to always work hard and efficiently perhaps UPS will see that and after a year I can be a driver. btw the job posting said part time PH 4am-10am.

One more thing, what are the odds I can be a driver after about a year? I'm sure it's been answered but all the posts I'm finding are really old on that topic.maybe things have changed as far as culture, hiring protocols, etc.
There is no one on this whole site that can give you a timeline on how long it will take you to become a driver. It varies from location to location.