FT Sup won't approve Optional Days

I work in the building. We used to have the coolest FT sup that would let you do whatever. Now we have the FT sup from the midnight shift and he won't ever approve my optional days. I handed him a optional day request form so I could have this friday off and go to my friends wedding. I gave it to him about 3 weeks ago and I was supposed to be on vacation this week anyways but I moved my vacation to two weeks from now so I could use that time to move back into my house. Yesterday I asked him if I was still off friday and he said no he needs me here because of other people being out on vacation and school. I asked him what would happen if I just didn't come in on friday, and he didn't seem to like that question.
My point is I have the rest of my life to work but (hopefully) this will be my friends only wedding. I grew up with him and I'm not going to miss his wedding. I feel like I'm getting punished for being one of the only people that actually gives notice that I'm not going to be at work. I hardly ever call in and I almost always have a good reason.
Last time he wouldn't approve my optional day for July 2nd. I got my PT sup to give it to him and then he told me that he didn't get it just because that pt sup was on vacation that week and so I called him and he said he handed it to him the day I gave it to him. So I got a doctors appointment because my knee had been bothering me for months anyways and I ended up using two sick days for that thursday and friday. I'm sick of him playing his games with me. I don't care who else is going to be out. I have something I have to do and I gave plenty of notice. I just didn't want to miss a day without pay but I guess I don't have a choice.

Sorry about it being long, but anyone got any advice? I'm gonna talk to the building manager when I see her. I feel like I'm being more than reasonable and he's trying to take advantage of me being a nice guy

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I learned many years ago, if I NEED a day off in the future for something important, I don't say anything. That morning I call off. Then if they offer to give me an option day for that day, I'll take it.

deathracer

i heard in our hub they are not allowing sick days/optional days or vacations cause of the economy. that the ft sup gave a big speech to unloaders about it and made it seem like if they were gonna get fired for calling sick, something about head offices getting mad for paying ppl to not work.

i heard in our hub they are not allowing sick days/optional days or vacations cause of the economy. that the ft sup gave a big speech to unloaders about it and made it seem like if they were gonna get fired for calling sick, something about head offices getting mad for paying ppl to not work.

No offense but if the people in your hub are buying that line of crap then they deserve to be sold that line of crap.

deathracer

No offense but if the people in your hub are buying that line of crap then they deserve to be sold that line of crap.

so in no way can a full time sup deny my optional/sick days whenever i want them? since i heard this i was wondering if i should ask for my optional days or not, please let me know.

JaxUPSHub

so in no way can a full time sup deny my sick days whenever i want them?

Umm, I'm new to UPS, and probable shouldnt speak up (dont wanna be called a Troll), BUT, if you're sick you're sick. No one can deny you a sick day. (just make sure you have a doctors note)

so in no way can a full time sup deny my optional/sick days whenever i want them? since i heard this i was wondering if i should ask for my optional days or not, please let me know.
If you follow the procedure for an optional day and you don`t get it,outside of it being taken by a higher seniority person,then you need to speak to a steward. In our group they have to give seven per day but you have to put it in the request book in advance and have the seniority to land it.
If your sick,call in.

Umm, I'm new to UPS, and probable shouldnt speak up (dont wanna be called a Troll), BUT, if you're sick you're sick. No one can deny you a sick day. (just make sure you have a doctors note)

You don`t need a DR note until you`ve been absent more than four days and even then I rarely see it asked for. Plus should you see a DR you only need a "Seen in Office" note. They have no rights to know the specifics of your ailment.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sick days - book off, book on. Do not miss more than 3 days w/out a doctors note.

Optional days - you can book then one (1) week prior to the day you want. That is how our supplement reads here in NE. MGMT has 24 hours to accept or deny this option day. If staffing is acceptable, you SHOULD be granted the day.

Ask to see the vacation list for your area. If the friend/T sup denies this, talk to a steward or union rep. The friend/T supervisor should not be making power plays regarding optional holidays.

tieguy

Banned
Sick days - book off, book on. Do not miss more than 3 days w/out a doctors note.

Optional days - you can book then one (1) week prior to the day you want. That is how our supplement reads here in NE. MGMT has 24 hours to accept or deny this option day. If staffing is acceptable, you SHOULD be granted the day.

Ask to see the vacation list for your area. If the friend/T sup denies this, talk to a steward or union rep. The friend/T supervisor should not be making power plays regarding optional holidays.

It is a friday in August he is asking for there is a chance the contract was followed and the guy asking the question was too junior to get that prime day off.

Shop steward won't get the sup to go above whats in the contract. You could try talking to the sort manager and explain whats going on. If your overall attendance and work record is good then he may be receptive.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It is a friday in August he is asking for there is a chance the contract was followed and the guy asking the question was too junior to get that prime day off.

Shop steward won't get the sup to go above whats in the contract. You could try talking to the sort manager and explain whats going on. If your overall attendance and work record is good then he may be receptive.

I agree 100%, BUT the decision should have been made much sooner. It seems that he asked for the day off at least 3 weeks in advance and never recieved a response about it. It should have taken one or two days at most to look int staffing and give a response back. Probably in that time period, three other more senior guys asked for the day and recieved it. Then the FT sup says he couldn't have the day. That type of neglect sounds like a power play rather than staffing.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I work in the building. We used to have the coolest FT sup that would let you do whatever. Now we have the FT sup from the midnight shift and he won't ever approve my optional days. I handed him a optional day request form so I could have this friday off and go to my friends wedding. I gave it to him about 3 weeks ago and I was supposed to be on vacation this week anyways but I moved my vacation to two weeks from now so I could use that time to move back into my house. Yesterday I asked him if I was still off friday and he said no he needs me here because of other people being out on vacation and school. I asked him what would happen if I just didn't come in on friday, and he didn't seem to like that question.
My point is I have the rest of my life to work but (hopefully) this will be my friends only wedding. I grew up with him and I'm not going to miss his wedding. I feel like I'm getting punished for being one of the only people that actually gives notice that I'm not going to be at work. I hardly ever call in and I almost always have a good reason.
Last time he wouldn't approve my optional day for July 2nd. I got my PT sup to give it to him and then he told me that he didn't get it just because that pt sup was on vacation that week and so I called him and he said he handed it to him the day I gave it to him. So I got a doctors appointment because my knee had been bothering me for months anyways and I ended up using two sick days for that thursday and friday. I'm sick of him playing his games with me. I don't care who else is going to be out. I have something I have to do and I gave plenty of notice. I just didn't want to miss a day without pay but I guess I don't have a choice.

Sorry about it being long, but anyone got any advice? I'm gonna talk to the building manager when I see her. I feel like I'm being more than reasonable and he's trying to take advantage of me being a nice guy

I know this doesn't answer your question at all, but who has a wedding on a Friday? 65-70 percent of the nation has to work on Friday. On the other hand though, there is a time limit on the day off thing. If there's no staffing issues and you request it so many days in advance, they have to give it to you. But with the way UPS is running things these days everyone has staffing issues. That's probably your hangup. Next time you have something to do, don't ask, just use a sick day.

Ok Thanks for the feedback everyone. Well I work the twilight shift and the wedding is at 7pm, that's an hour after start time. I think he has bad memory because I asked to have my vacation changed at the same time as putting in for the optional day and then when I came in to work on monday he came up to me and said "so you decided to come to work today? can you come in tomorrow too?" he just looked at the vacation sheet and saw that my name was on it and forgot I guess. He kinda looked at me funny when I told him I had talked to him about changing my vacation.
Also theres only one person on the sort aisle that has more seniority than me so it can't be that other people asked for the day off as well. there are two people that apparrently miss every friday due to school. There is one or two people on vacation. I'm thinking about just calling in like 12 hours in advance or not calling at all. He can't really write me up since my name is on the vacation sheet...IMO haha

tieguy

Banned
I agree 100%, BUT the decision should have been made much sooner. It seems that he asked for the day off at least 3 weeks in advance and never recieved a response about it. It should have taken one or two days at most to look int staffing and give a response back. Probably in that time period, three other more senior guys asked for the day and recieved it. Then the FT sup says he couldn't have the day. That type of neglect sounds like a power play rather than staffing.

Power play is probably in your contract. In my region you put the request in at least 8 days in advance and you get your answer 7 days in advance. I've never seen someone required to approve them three weeks ahead of time?