Full-time bid advice

Leon

Anonymously quircky
Hi all,

I work pt local sort at an extended center, since March 2016. With the intention of going full-time pc asap. First, began air driving in Sept. '16. Then have been seasonal driver, now single-day cover driver. Averaged 30hrs/wk last year. I'm single with minimal expenses so it fits my lifestyle well.

So, they say there is a full-time bid coming next month. I'm next in line. The only apprehension I have is if the bid has a feeder requirement. I'd rather not sign-up for that but am willing to play-ball if they force me to. Not sure I'm comfortable hauling doubles or the big rig in general, but would have to think about it.

Anyway, my question is (with the contract looming) should I sign the next bid no matter if it has a feeder requirement and make book asap? Start 4 yr progression, etc. Or should I wait it out until they post a full-time pc only (the benefit being my air progression will be top-rate sept '18 which I understand would then cut off two years of ft pc progression?) Is this correct? Considering the upcoming contract what do you recommend? Thanks in advance!

Leon

Anonymously quircky
It could be full-time pc with a requirement to become feeder certified. I've seen this clause on previous bids posted

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Hi all,

I work pt local sort at an extended center, since March 2016. With the intention of going full-time pc asap. First, began air driving in Sept. '16. Then have been seasonal driver, now single-day cover driver. Averaged 30hrs/wk last year. I'm single with minimal expenses so it fits my lifestyle well.

So, they say there is a full-time bid coming next month. I'm next in line. The only apprehension I have is if the bid has a feeder requirement. I'd rather not sign-up for that but am willing to play-ball if they force me to. Not sure I'm comfortable hauling doubles or the big rig in general, but would have to think about it.

Anyway, my question is (with the contract looming) should I sign the next bid no matter if it has a feeder requirement and make book asap? Start 4 yr progression, etc. Or should I wait it out until they post a full-time pc only (the benefit being my air progression will be top-rate sept '18 which I understand would then cut off two years of ft pc progression?) Is this correct? Considering the upcoming contract what do you recommend? Thanks in advance!
@UpstateNYUPSer

Box Ox

I understand would then cut off two years of ft pc progression?) Is this correct?

You’d red circle at top air rate which would effectively mean you skipped two years of working your way up pay progression. But it’d still be 4 years to top rate. Your red circle rate is just the minimum you’re going to make until such time that you’re due to hit the next rung in the progression rate.

However, who knows what new concessions will be made regarding new full timers in the next contract? Maybe your benefits will be different. Maybe your top rate will be different. Maybe you’ll have a six year progression.

So I agree with folks who suggest that you go ahead and get into the FT ranks before the new contract is in effect.