Full Time Driver Lay Offs

bluehdmc

24 feeder drivers laid off in North Jersey. Was 16 last week.
Haven't heard anything about package car drivers. When feeder drivers get laid off they have the option of working in the hub and displacing 2 people in the hub, working 2 sorts. These are guys off the street with low company seniority.

outamyway

We are 1-2 so ,far rumors of 20 in s.LV

South Las Vegas?

We were 8000 packages fewer from this time last year. They sent unloaders home at 6:30 today. We actually have cars to use(for air drivers that weren't laid off) now because we are down a lot of routes. I don't know the exact number of lay offs now, but a lot are coming soon.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
4 guys bumped into our center today. Sups everywhere training. Hope it doesn't get any worse than this. We were down to 28 runs from an ave of 33 in 0400.

Foamer Pyle

I think we are all in for one heck of a ride this summer. I would expect anywhere from 5 to 10 layoffs at my center. That is pure speculation, based on the volume changes from the previouse year. I am happy to be in the top 15.

brownrodster

0 here. Newspaper says we will start feeling effects of recession in this areas soon though. But most of our top employers are recession proof (so they say). Oil, medical, government, universities...

browniehound

I haven't seen a layoff yet but we had extremely heavy volume during the first three weeks of January in MA. I mean it was almost like peek!

My question was: where the heck did this volume come from? I am currently doing a route that does about 102 stops on average. January 9th I was dispatched with 172 stops. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the dispatch screen! This shocked me because I wouldn't believe that there are 172 dwellings on this route! Apparently there is many more!

I think UPS will be OK for a bit because of the DHL volume gain, but if the recession deepens then a lot of shuffling will be happening in the full-time ranks.

That being said, thank your lucky stars that you work for UPS! We complain on this forum like its going out of style. Shame on us. We as hourlies will be recieving a wage increase on Feb. 1st. I consider us some of the fortunate few to have a GREAT job and recieve a wage increase in 2009.

I think as UPSers we should keep our mouths shut and head down and work as hard as possible. I say this because if I do so I will be making more money than the previous year. That means the recession will affect me almost in no way.

I say this because my hours will not be cut. Routes will be cut which means the same stops over more area to everyone.

All the crap we talk about UPS is a moot point now! I'm just happy to have one at UPS right now!

705red

Browncafe Steward
South Las Vegas?

We were 8000 packages fewer from this time last year. They sent unloaders home at 6:30 today. We actually have cars to use(for air drivers that weren't laid off) now because we are down a lot of routes. I don't know the exact number of lay offs now, but a lot are coming soon.
Air drivers? What are those package car drivers doing? Package drivers should be doing that air work!

Preamble
In order for the Employer, the Union and the employees to further benefit
from the expanding air operations, the following Sections shall supersede
language on the same subjects in the Supplements, Riders and Addenda,
unless specifically stated otherwise in this Article.

Section 1. Air Drivers
(a) Air driver work shall consist of delivery and pickup of air packages which,
because of time and customer commitments, cannot be reasonably performed
by regular package drivers. Such work may include:

(1) Delivery of air packages which the regular delivery drivers cannot deliver
within guaranteed time commitments.

browndevil

I haven't seen a layoff yet but we had extremely heavy volume during the first three weeks of January in MA. I mean it was almost like peek!

My question was: where the heck did this volume come from? I am currently doing a route that does about 102 stops on average. January 9th I was dispatched with 172 stops. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the dispatch screen! This shocked me because I wouldn't believe that there are 172 dwellings on this route! Apparently there is many more!

I think UPS will be OK for a bit because of the DHL volume gain, but if the recession deepens then a lot of shuffling will be happening in the full-time ranks.

That being said, thank your lucky stars that you work for UPS! We complain on this forum like its going out of style. Shame on us. We as hourlies will be recieving a wage increase on Feb. 1st. I consider us some of the fortunate few to have a GREAT job and recieve a wage increase in 2009.

I think as UPSers we should keep our mouths shut and head down and work as hard as possible. I say this because if I do so I will be making more money than the previous year. That means the recession will affect me almost in no way.

I say this because my hours will not be cut. Routes will be cut which means the same stops over more area to everyone.

All the crap we talk about UPS is a moot point now! I'm just happy to have one at UPS right now!
Brownie, I think the heavy volume the first part of January were are customers spending their gift cards. Stores themselves brace for the extra sales and factor it in to their Christmas numbers. It is why we haven't seen deep discounts yet.
This Monday is the first first week we have had a layoff posted

helenofcalifornia

7 were scheduled as layoff, but they called in 2 of them Monday. Alot of drivers are taking vacations early. 2 more scheduled on top of the 7 layoffs for next week.

0 here. Newspaper says we will start feeling effects of recession in this areas soon though. But most of our top employers are recession proof (so they say). Oil, medical, government, universities...

Medical is not recession proof. Just ask the hospital in Wilmington, Oh. The DHL drivers there have lost their jobs, so no insurance. No insurance means more people getting free medical care through emergency rooms. Sooner or later the hospital will be broke too. The state government there has already used up their allotment for unemployment insurance, had to get money from uncle SAM. Sooner or later, the city of and the state will have to redirect money from other services to welfare, the other departments will have to cut back on expenses...what do ya think will be the first to get cut? When students start dropping out of the universities because they can no longer afford tuition, they won't need near as many instructors. It's a snowball effect all the way around.

outamyway

Air drivers? What are those package car drivers doing? Package drivers should be doing that air work!

Preamble
In order for the Employer, the Union and the employees to further benefit
from the expanding air operations, the following Sections shall supersede
language on the same subjects in the Supplements, Riders and Addenda,
unless specifically stated otherwise in this Article.

Section 1. Air Drivers
(a) Air driver work shall consist of delivery and pickup of air packages which,
because of time and customer commitments, cannot be reasonably performed
by regular package drivers. Such work may include:

(1) Delivery of air packages which the regular delivery drivers cannot deliver
within guaranteed time commitments.

Mostly EAM's, but there are drivers all over the building dropping air before they leave. There are a few air routes done by 22.3 combo workers.

It's my understanding that a full time layoff can not bump a part time Article 40 worker. They also can't just use a full time driver for EAM's or 10:30 air if they don't have enough work for them to do the rest of the day.

EAM volume, although slowed down, is pretty heavy here. It's the reason we have or had so many air drivers. The combo drivers with a second classification of air driving(the 10:30 route guys) started being pulled off the preload at 6:30 to do EAM's and then 10:30 air. Other pre loaders are brought in at 5:00 AM to help the preload and then replace the combo guys doing EAM's.

It's pretty ugly here and I expect a lot of low seniority part timers to be laid off soon(no work at all layoffs). Most of which will be replaced by full time package or feeder layoffs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have feeder drivers bumping back in to pkg car, which I understand as the Union wants to protect the full time employees, but what I don't understand is what happened to me today. I asked my on-car if I could have Thursday off, partly because I have some things to take care of but mostly to give my cover driver a chance to work. Well, he told me that he couldn't work the cover driver(s) until all of the feeder drivers were working and, since they don't have area knowledge, they have to go with an on-car for that day. We only have one on-car and he is already doing a 3 day ride with one of our problem children. He knew that I was trying to help my cover driver but there is nothing he can do (his words). The same thing happened on Monday to another driver who wanted the day off. Several of us began to talk about this before the PCM and agreed that the only way to get a day off until the feeder drivers go back to feeders is to call in sick. This sucks as I always try to do the right thing and ask for the day but I am not going to watch my cover driver sit at home when I can take a day here and there to make sure he gets some hours.