Full time driving advice

JJinVA

Triple shifting.
I preload, driver help, then local sort.

I typically start around 415AM, and end around 930 PM. Sometimes with a couple half hour breaks between shifts.

Youre doing 3 different jobs, and complaining about me PARTIALLY doing one........ riiiiiiiiiiiight.

JJinVA

My jobs all have sign up sheets for the extra work. It belongs to the person with the most seniority who wants it.
It also is *paid*.

But your still preventing UPS from hiring more people if you are working multiple positions. Why dont you just tell them to hire more people? Her-der you see this logic? Youre doing that for the selfish purpose of wanting to make more money. Its not to help UPS, its to help you. Which is exactly my logic that you are adamantly against. With the sole exception being that for 30 minutes Im not getting any money. $12 worth of work... and the sky is falling. That $12 worth of work will keep me out of the ghetto at 11pm, you think I give a shhh about those $12 in comparison? Nawwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Not Rushin’

New here. I’m 21 and I’ve worked at UPS as a loader for 2 years. I start driver’s training tomorrow and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Pros/Cons, handling traffic, how to navigate, handle accidents, make things go smooth, ORION, etc. Just kind of nervous because I’ve only driven a UPS truck once, and I’m scared of mistakes.
Follow the methods, keep the packages pulled up for quicker selection, deliver out the right door to the curb side as much as possible, try to limit left turns on busy streets because they will kill your time, be safe.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
But your still preventing UPS from hiring more people if you are working multiple positions. Why dont you just tell them to hire more people? Her-der you see this logic? Youre doing that for the selfish purpose of wanting to make more money. Its not to help UPS, its to help you. Which is exactly my logic that you are adamantly against. With the sole exception being that for 30 minutes Im not getting any money. $12 worth of work... and the sky is falling. That $12 worth of work will keep me out of the ghetto at 11pm, you think I give a shhh about those $12 in comparison? Nawwwwwwwwwwwwwww
There is a contractual procedure for how the company must handle work that they deem "extra". You are taking that work, and doing it for free. The company must decide between paying its current individuals more hours, or hiring additional manpower.

By skipping the sign up lists, and opting to do the work yourself, for free, you are taking time and money away from your fellow workers.
That work does not belong to you.

This shouldn't be a difficult concept.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
One of you is following the contract and proper procedures to help themselves. The other is saying screwing everyone else I’ll do what I want.

JJinVA

There is a contractual procedure for how the company must handle work that they deem "extra". You are taking that work, and doing it for free. The company must decide between paying its current individuals more hours, or hiring additional manpower.

By skipping the sign up lists, and opting to do the work yourself, for free, you are taking time and money away from your fellow workers.
That work does not belong to you.

This shouldn't be a difficult concept.

Its not difficult to understand. Ive acknowledged your point a few times already. Im reverting back to the "selfish" aspect because Im not going through my truck just cause I want to be "really fast super runner guy". Im doing it because I dont want to be "white boy in the hood at 11pm during a blm rally in the middle of the street without a gun on me" guy, among other mentioned reasons.

When I have 9.5 protection, Ill be a ghost. Doesnt really matter to me who believes that and who doesnt. The dispatcher will have an incentive to give me a decent work day with the occasional codswallop one, versus now with the occasional good day and the usual codswallop one. And I will file 9.5 grievances every chance I get to give management the incentive to hire more drivers. I dont think my points are difficult to understand either but your so wired into the union that you cant seem to grasp that I have no desire to spend every waking hour of my day at UPS over $12. In Boston thats less than one pack of cigarettes...

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
False. I have no desire to be a "runner". I DO, however, have a desire to NOT mow the yard at midnight. This past week was great. I was able to do everything I needed to do during the week. This was a fluke. Im guessing its because our usual dispatcher was on vacation and the person doing the dispatch was splitting things up evenly instead of dumping 4 routes on me. This week will be back to "normal" Im supposing. When was the last time you worked a 14 hour day? 15 years ago?

15 years ago it was 8 and skate

BrowKnows

Hi Everyone,

Prepping to interview for/considering FT Combo Driver (off the street) in the Bay Area.

Coming from long-term self employment in eCommerce/client services (over the whole “executive” thing).😖

Can I ask a few questions?

1. How are new combo drivers perceived by senior drivers? Assuming the new driver understands dues have to be paid, hustles and is a relatively quick study.

2. As an FT combo off the street, how long (on average), does it typically take to pay your dues at a larger hub?

3. Best way to stay in the good the graces of senior employees that regularly interact with drivers/facilitate their work? Basically, who do I keep happy at all costs to make my life easier as a driver?

4. Least amount of time before you can become RPCD from green combo?

5. What are the actual differences between Combo and RPCD other than schedule?

6. Best path to move into a regional CDL position (if not FT Combo), and how long might that take if you’re relatively driven?

7. Biggest Pro/Con to working as a driver at UPS (understanding that it’s a huge company with likely detached leadership and therefore frustrating processes/policies at times)? Hoping for more of a day-to-day perspective.

A lot there, I know...

Thanks in advance!

-J

Last edited:

Poop Head

Judge me.
7. Biggest Pro/Con to working as a driver at UPS (understanding that it’s a huge company with likely detached leadership and therefore frustrating processes/policies at times)? Hoping for more of a day-to-day perspective.
Pros. Money, job security, free clothes, dont have to see your family 6 days a week.
Cons. Eventually, you have to go home.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Hi Everyone,

Prepping to interview for/considering FT Combo Driver (off the street) in the Bay Area.

Coming from long-term self employment in eCommerce/client services (over the whole “executive” thing).😖

Can I ask a few questions?

1. How are new combo drivers perceived by senior drivers? Assuming the new driver understands dues have to be paid, hustles and is a relatively quick study.

2. As an FT combo off the street, how long (on average), does it typically take to pay your dues at a larger hub?

3. Best way to stay in the good the graces of senior employees that regularly interact with drivers/facilitate their work? Basically, who do I keep happy at all costs to make my life easier as a driver?

4. Least amount of time before you can become RPCD from green combo?

5. What are the actual differences between Combo and RPCD other than schedule?

6. Best path to move into a regional CDL position (if not FT Combo), and how long might that take if you’re relatively driven?

A lot there, I know...

Thanks in advance!

-J
Easy there cowgirl… Remember this: every accident/injury is preventable, beginning with the individual employee having a personal commitment to safety.

22.4 is the only positions you'll be able to score right now or off the street at least, remember my mantra and you'll be in Feeders (tractor-trailer driver CDL-A HazMat) around the same time I will in about 5 to 10 years