full time driving job

steel76

I am a part time air driver at the top rate. I get roughly 20hrs/week. The next full time driving job would be mine. Trying to get other feedback from fellow drivers besides the ones in my center. I own and operate a small business also, but it is economy driven so I'm thinking now might be the time. Have a wife and two young children. 16 years seniority.

Last edited:
What feedback are you looking for? You`re also new to the site so be prepared to get ribbed like the rookie you are. Don`t take it personal :)

The first unwritten rule of our new driver bible around here is:

Thou shalt not drink alcohol while on the clock, lunch or otherwise.

So shall it be written So shall it be done

menotyou

bella amicizia
I am a part time air driver at the top rate. I get roughly 20hrs/week. The next full time driving job would be mine. Trying to get other feedback from fellow drivers besides the ones in my center. I own and operate a small business also, but it is economy driven so I'm thinking now might be the time. Have a wife and two young children. 16 years seniority.

Could you be bumped from air job? (Sweet gig that it is.)

UPS29

Stay part time and enjoy your family time. If you become a ft driver you won't get to spend time with them. When the kids have a after school function, you won't be there! You would have asked for a 8 hour day, skipped your lunch and found out you still have 9.5 hours of work on your car. YOU NEVER MADE IT. The family will get use to it, but.....

siredline09

Dude go Fulltime they laided off 50 air drivers in NYC been hearing they are slowing getting rid of PT air Drivers across US, i was laid off with only 4 years and also a driver with same seniority as you 16 years also laid off.. GO FOR IT BEFORE your center gets hit next

kmjs14

Dude go Fulltime they laided off 50 air drivers in NYC been hearing they are slowing getting rid of PT air Drivers across US, i was laid off with only 4 years and also a driver with same seniority as you 16 years also laid off.. GO FOR IT BEFORE your center gets hit next

Isn't UPS supposed to find work for you in the hubs or maybe another hub in the same district before layoffs?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
As for going full time, in the beginning, you will most generally not get many hours. For the first year it can be very difficult. In the end you will have many, many long days and stressful mornings that pays pretty well and has good benefits. It all depends on what you want.

UPSGUY72

your only the next person in line if you sign the FT driving list if not they skip you.

menotyou

bella amicizia
My center was forecasted to grow because of army base nearby. We were just told that 2 vacated full time jobs will not be filled. I was personally told I that I was lucky to go full time when I did. The airport gig is sweet, I know. Just factor everything and then make decision. Here, you get your own route. But, if the bid sheet is posted, you have two weeks to sign. Then, it gets taken down and you get passed over. They have to find work for you inside, depending on your building seniority. With 16 yrs, I assume he would have work. He would go back to his belt rate. Again, at 16 yrs, it should be close, if not more, than air rate.

rspokes

Despite mega profits and a lot of cash on hand most full time package car drivers are made to work over 9.5 every day while jobs become vacant and are not bid because they say they would just have to lay the new driver off! If I were a new driver I would probably quit! They would just spead my route around and not fill the the job and there would be even more overtime!

UPSGUY72

Despite mega profits and a lot of cash on hand most full time package car drivers are made to work over 9.5 every day while jobs become vacant and are not bid because they say they would just have to lay the new driver off! If I were a new driver I would probably quit! They would just spead my route around and not fill the the job and there would be even more overtime!

Can someone please translate this.

SWORDFISH

Poster your best advice will come from drivers that come from the same size of center as you working under the same contract as you. It varies from area to area. So you could get some great advice on here and it be totally useless to you if you arent under the same rules as the person giving the info.