Full Time Only Shift? Remove all Part Timers?

Johnny123456789

Hi everyone. So we have a shift that has both part time and full time employees. Currently this hub is planning a change of operations and is planning to have only full time employees while all the other part timers will need to go to another shift or another hub.

Can they do this? Isn't their language in the contract that states part timers are to be used to back up full timers when they're not present?

Thanks.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
hahaha wtf, that’s like the total opposite direction i’ve heard from any staffing plan ever

also isn’t this what the union wants, why would you complain about it

Johnny123456789

Well we have a lot of high seniority part timers in this hub with a lot of questions. Surely Union can give them a better answer than just, "Sorry but you're screwed"

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
FT trumps PT when it comes to our contract language. So if that really is the plan (and I doubt it given the direction this company is taking). Then you really would change shifts. move to another hub. or win a bid on the new FT positions.

Your local should be informed of. If they don't know what is going on by now then it's probably just rumors.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
go full time?

unless you have another FT job this is basically the dream for someone who is juggling PT jobs
Preload Pay - 2018 Contract (On Topic)

For a good laugh, check out my post here and the truck drivers responses. It used to be that education was the main thing in unionism, self-education, but these days it's the opposite.

"education" and "unions", which was once the most important part of collective action, turned around decades ago. Now the main thing for the IBT and these other gluttonous corporations, is keeping people stupid.

Heffalump

It seems like UPS has a strategy to impose part-time as a way to combat negotiations. It literally leaves a black hole for ibt to face against.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Hi everyone. So we have a shift that has both part time and full time employees. Currently this hub is planning a change of operations and is planning to have only full time employees while all the other part timers will need to go to another shift or another hub.

Can they do this? Isn't their language in the contract that states part timers are to be used to back up full timers when they're not present?

Thanks.

Do you know for a fact, it's a change of operations ?

It could be a workforce reduction (on a particular shift) and then you would

rely on the part-time layoff language in your supplement.

Well we have a lot of high seniority part timers in this hub with a lot of questions. Surely Union can give them a better answer than just, "Sorry but you're screwed"

Did the Union actually say this?

For a good laugh, check out my post here

A part-time job should not have the same perks as a full-time job. There should be no part-time jobs at UPS.

Your idea of a good laugh.... is screw the part-timers ?

It seems like UPS has a strategy to impose part-time as a way to combat negotiations. It literally leaves a black hole for ibt to face against.

UPS has had part-time employees for 50+ years.

I'm missing your point.

-Bug-

Heffalump

Well it seems, so I've heard, part timers could potentially sway negotiations however they'd like if they were to participate. So why doesn't the union try to corral them all to voting and participating? Where as UPS knows the majority of us would not mind full time hours so using us as a bait of sort seems tactical.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
So why doesn't the union try to corral them all to voting and participating?
The union shouldn't HAVE to corral you guys into voting or participating. You pay dues, use your damn vote.

It's amazing how things change. There was a time when it was a fight to get insiders into the union (See Minneapolis General Strike of 1934), and now you guys don't bother to pay any attention to the union. Good for people like me, bad for people like you.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

The union should HAVE to corral you guys into voting or participating. You pay dues, use your damn vote.

It's amazing how things change. There was a time when it was a fight to get insiders into the union (See Minneapolis General Strike of 1934), and now you guys don't bother to pay any attention to the union. Good for people like me, bad for people like you.

Do you mean shouldn't? As always we have to fix managements mistakes! ;)

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

Thanks.
r they offering full time jobs to those part timers

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Do you mean shouldn't? As always we have to fix managements mistakes! ;)
088842DF-A6D2-48C2-9053-8715239E24D8.gif

gorilla75jdw

This very same thing is happening at White's Creek Nashville Tennessee Tennessee in the shifter classification. The company has informed us that they intend to invoke change of operations (due to purchasing a remote lot for trailers , directly across the street, and now needs cdl qualified shifters, in doing so adding 20 full time 22.2 jobs , but doing away with 16 22.3 shifter jobs , and 16 part time shifter jobs ) ?

What'dyabringmetoday???

I pay the same Union dues as the FT and a lot more then Art 22.3
I was referring to the amount that The Great UpstateNYUPSer soon to be retired after starting off the street and never having an accident and being faster than all others and all-knowing on everything UPS and gets guarantee pay each check and makes good decisions was saying he paid. Lol.