Full Time Seasonal Feeder Driver

emac130

I cannot find anything that has to do with my question on the web so I thought I'd just ask it myself.

Has anyone ever worked another full time (non-driving) job while employed as a seasonal feeder driver? Is it possible if my current job is extremely flexible? I work from 7am to 330pm M-friend. What do other people do for work when they are not getting called in to UPS? Do they have to get some other crappy job until the next peak season? It seems like if you want to be a full time permanent feeder driver, you basically have to forget about trying to maintain a good employment record as you have to quit any new job you get every year. How long would this process take (years) before you could be working 40 hours a week all year long? The HR person says up to 3 years. This is what the HR person sent me:

"The Casual Feeder driver at UPS works on an On-Call basis, and needs to be available Sun-Sat, 24 hrs per day. The rate of pay will be $23.625/hr. We are not able to guarantee any amount of hours in any given week, but as we approach our Peak holiday season, all drivers will be working a significant amount of hours. This is a position that does not offer any benefits or Cobra benefits, and no wage progression."

"The ideal candidate is one who is currently not working on a consistent basis, and who is looking to make some quick money. This is not a position to leave a FT job for, which I realize may be your current situation. However, if you are interested in learning more about the job and potentially being considered for employment, then please let me know. We currently have immediate openings for qualified candidates."

I would only have to work 25 hours a week to match what I make in 40 hours a week now. Is 25 hours a week average a possible scenario from now until the end of the year? Thanks for any help. I hope I am not asking the same question twice.

P

pickup

I know of one guy that did this sort of arrangement out of Pennsylvania. I met him about two or three times and the last time was 3 years ago.

He was one of these on call guys. He explained his situation that lines up with the job description you provided. He had a very flexible job that allowed him to do this. I have only seen him during the peak season. Indeed, he was called in at all weird hours with little advanced notice. I asked him "how do you know how to plan your day if you don't know if you are working that night?". He said "he does the best he can.".

I don't know if he ever got to the end of the permanent job rainbow.

The one thing that concerns me with this arrangement is that working another job in conjunction with this might violate Hours of Service rules. For example, you work a job earlier in the day , for about 8 hours and have 3 hours off and then you get a call from UPS "come on in". You work an eight hour shift. In addition to being dead tired, you probably violated your 14 hour clock and hence were driving illegally at some point in your shift.

P

pickup

I would only have to work 25 hours a week to match what I make in 40 hours a week now. Is 25 hours a week average a possible scenario from now until the end of the year? Thanks for any help. I hope I am not asking the same question twice.

From October on to the end of the year, you will probably get 40 or more, maxing out near 60 towards the end of the year if working in a big hub, especially one taking trailers to and from the railyards. Expect no work in the beginning of the year.

As for working straight through from now to the end of the year, I don't know if the work could support that . Number 2, there might be some union rules stating that if you work so many days in a period that you are in the union. If that is the case, be sure that UPS will put you on the sidelines until that is no longer the case.

Someone familiar with your area or hub might be able to provide more info. Of course if you tell us the area and hub, you pretty much identified yourself, so think before you reveal.

emac130

Thanks pickup. So when they do call you in, is it always 8 hours? Is there a minimum number that you will be paid for when they do call?

feeder

Central Pa Member
I suggest you apply for a part time posistion at UPS, like I did 28 years ago..Do 8 years in the "barn" then you probaly have full time status by then, then go out driving for 12 years in a package car, and then come out to Feeders... thats what I did... Now I have to come in everyday. I dont call in... run the same route everyday....

P

pickup

Thanks pickup. So when they do call you in, is it always 8 hours? Is there a minimum number that you will be paid for when they do call?

Well from what I see in my neck of the woods, the casual feeder drivers who come in for peak are not guaranteed 8 hours. They usually get them(and then some) but not always. Sometimes there is more manpower than they know what to do with(or in other words, less work than they expected. The rank and file are guaranteed eight hours but the casual feeders aren't.

This might be different where you are but I doubt it.

ryan74701

move to williston, north dakota and we will hand you a full time package car job no questions asked, with a retention bonus every week.