Fulltime cover driver Help plz

Edward88

So @ my center they promoted me and 5 others to full-time before peak. Now that peak is done with, we dont have the volume to be on a route. So to get out 8 hrs we are given the option to come to preload then comeback to local sort. Which is fine but after 7 days of this my pay rate drops down to pre load pay. Is this right? Is it my fault they do jave the work for me.

Edward88

No but why should they continue to pay you for a job that you are no longer doing?[/QUOTE
No but why should they continue to pay you for a job that you are no longer doing?
Because I put my time in and earned my full time spot. I feel am gettimg punished for getting promoted. If they dont have the work they should have not made us full time, but they did, now i think its far i shouldnt drop back down in pay.

upschuck

They would not have promoted you, if this were the case. They'll need you again when vacations start kicking in. Everyone has gone through this, would you have rather stayed PT, you'd been at the same rate as you are now. Get over yourself.

Edward88

They would not have promoted you, if this were the case. They'll need you again when vacations start kicking in. Everyone has gone through this, would you have rather stayed PT, you'd been at the same rate as you are now. Get over yourself.
But I am full time, and i would have stayed pt if i was gunna be doing the samething. Atleast with PT i could do air and not still have my FT union fees taken out.

upschuck

But I am full time, and i would have stayed pt if i was gunna be doing the samething. Atleast with PT i could do air and not still have my FT union fees taken out.
You can choose to stay home, if you want to. Of course you won't get paid, but at least you won't be doing the menial PT work. Get over yourself. Everybody's done it.

Jesus does nobody read contract books anymore? Im not even a Stewart and probably know it better. So if you are a laid off driver and are considered FT then you have the option to bump one PT morning worker and once again one PT night worker to get close to 8hrs. And yes you should get your driver pay because they made you FT. If not i would file a grievance for back pay

Inthegame

Jesus does nobody read contract books anymore? Im not even a Stewart and probably know it better. So if you are a laid off driver and are considered FT then you have the option to bump one PT morning worker and once again one PT night worker to get close to 8hrs. And yes you should get your driver pay because they made you FT. If not i would file a grievance for back pay
Keep reading those contract books stewart...

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
D! Stewart is a name. Steward is a representative of the union. It's with a D. You may need to reread some parts.

Nike

Talk to your steward OP. Ideally you should be covering a driver every so often to stay in progession. It's like this in my hub, partially to keep young drivers in the game and not to leave elsewhere. Could be different where you are though. Try to volunteer and come in early and ask if you can cover a drivers spot for the day, usually Friday works best.
Some bad comments on here, some of these guys are company men, more concerned about the bottom line then getting the job done and going home, which is strange if these guys really are drivers on here.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So @ my center they promoted me and 5 others to full-time before peak. Now that peak is done with, we dont have the volume to be on a route. So to get out 8 hrs we are given the option to come to preload then comeback to local sort. Which is fine but after 7 days of this my pay rate drops down to pre load pay. Is this right?

It is right.

Is it my fault they do jave the work for me.

No it is not, but how long have you been here? It happens to all new drivers, or most new drivers. The layoffs come after peak.

And do you expect UPS to pay you for nothing? It's not their fault either that they have no work for you. They allow you to bump 2 part timers to get your 8 hours. What more do you want?

Because I put my time in and earned my full time spot.

Yes, you did. But what does that mean?

Just like any company out there, you work if there is work. You are laid off if there is no work.

I feel am gettimg punished for getting promoted.

You didn't have to take the "promotion."

If they dont have the work they should have not made us full time

They had the work when they made you full time. Now they don't. It happens every year. Again, how long have you been here?

now i think its far i shouldnt drop back down in pay.

So you think UPS should pay you driver rate to do a part time job? It's not their fault that the volume dropped, happens every year, and they don't need you for the time being.

But I am full time, and i would have stayed pt if i was gunna be doing the samething.

Questions you should have gotten answers to before making your decision to go full time. Take some personal responsibility.

Atleast with PT i could do air and not still have my FT union fees taken out.

You made the choice to go full time, UPS did not force you.

Ok i get it put should my pay change?

You think it shouldn't? You think UPS should pay you driver rate to do a part time job?

And yes you should get your driver pay because they made you FT.

No, they did not make you full time. You agreed to go full time. You also should know your contract, or if you do not, ask questions before you make a life changing decision.

These issues are covered in the contract, and you should have known what might happen should you elect to go full time.

I totally agree with you but he still has some what of a point.

What point? The OP already knew he could bump 2 part timers. His issue is the pay rate, and this is covered in the contract, right or wrong.

He's about 50% correct

Correct.

Central Region Supplement

Section 6

Laid-off, full-time seniority employees, in the order of their seniority,
may elect to take the work of one (1) or two (2) part-time
employees, for the duration of the layoff, provided they have more
total Company seniority. In such cases, the full-time employees
shall be guaranteed a minimum of three and one-half (3 1/2) hours
work at the prevailing rate of pay for the classification of work
he/she performs

Southern Region Supplement

SECTION 5 – REDUCTION IN FORCE - FULL-TIME
EMPLOYEES (OTHER THAN FEEDER DRIVERS)

(B) In the event of layoff of any full-time seniority employee, the
affected employee has the right to exercise his/her seniority in the
following manner:

If the employee elects to perform part-time work he/she may displace
two (2) part-time employees if available.

An employee on a layoff (lasting less than seven (7) days) shall
receive their regular wages and benefits. An employee on a layoff

(lasting more than seven (7) days) shall receive appropriate wages
and benefits for the job performed based on their seniority.

Central Pennsylvania Supplement

Section 5.2

at the appropriate rate for classification of work performed

Atlantic Area Supplement

In such case, the employee will be provided with eight (8) continuous
hours of work (unless otherwise mutually agreed to by the
Company and the Union) at the appropriate rate for the classification
of work performed

New England Supplement

In such cases, the full-time seniority employees will
be guaranteed three (3) hours' work at the appropriate rate for the
classification of work performed

Need I go on. If nobody likes this, the contract negotiations are coming soon. Make your voices heard and do something about it, don't just whine.