Funeral Leave Help

Sarachan

So i know you get 3 to 4 days off for a aunt or uncle, My problem is that the visitation was on Sunday and my uncle is being laid to rest on Monday. I'm only Monday-Friday employee. so do i get Tues, and weds off too? Because during those days i was going check-in with my aunt (His wife) and make sure everything was okay during this time, But i only have a note from the funeral home for sun and Monday. I am very close to my aunt and uncle, this is the only reason i ask. Thanks for helping :(

upschuck

In my supplement, you only get 1 day after funeral for travel, you can have up to 4 days, but at least 3 have to be between the death and the funeral.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So i know you get 3 to 4 days off for a aunt or uncle, My problem is that the visitation was on Sunday and my uncle is being laid to rest on Monday. I'm only Monday-Friday employee. so do i get Tues, and weds off too? Because during those days i was going check-in with my aunt (His wife) and make sure everything was okay during this time, But i only have a note from the funeral home for sun and Monday. I am very close to my aunt and uncle, this is the only reason i ask. Thanks for helping :(

If you called your sup, I'm sure he will give you Tues and Wed off, but you will not be paid for it.

rod

Retired 22 years
I always found UPS to be very accommodating for funerals. You might not get paid for it all but chances are they will give you the time off you need.

oldngray

nowhere special
I always found UPS to be very accommodating for funerals. You might not get paid for it all but chances are they will give you the time off you need.

They may not have to pay you for days after the funeral but sometimes you will have a manager with more compassion and will bend the rules a little and pay you anyway.

rod

Retired 22 years
They may not have to pay you for days after the funeral but sometimes you will have a manager with more compassion and will bend the rules a little and pay you anyway.

I've had that experience too. The ONLY time I ever witnessed a crappy attitude for a funeral was when out center manager's Dad died during peak and he took 2 days off. The clown who came in to take his place made the comment at the a.m. that the center manager's dad wasn't very considerate --dying during peak. How's that for class.

UPSGUY72

Right from UPSERS website...

The purpose of this benefit is to allow you sufficient time to attend the funeral and be with your family during this period. Follow the bereavement rules for your region, district and/or business unit.

Under bereavement leave, you may take up to a maximum of four days off with pay during the bereavement period which begins on the day of death (if not worked) and ends on the second calendar day following the funeral. Bereavement leave is not paid for any days during the bereavement period that fall on weekends, holidays, vacation, while you are being paid for disability or workers’ compensation, or any other leave of absence. If necessary, additional unpaid time off work may be arranged with your supervisor or manager.

Eligibility for bereavement leave begins on your first day of regular employment. Immediate family includes employee's spouse, and those individuals related to the employee, their spouse in the following manner: children, siblings, parents, grandparents (including great-grandparents), and grandchildren.

clean hairy

In the master contract as well Article 29, page 78, section 2.
spouse, child, grandchild, father, mother, brother, sister, grandparents, mother in law, father in law, step parents.
Then , it outlines the number of days off as well.

TheFigurehead

I'm actually requesting bereavement leave today, so I'm glad this thread is here.

I'm not sure if everyone else's contract is the same, but ours states the following:

A regular full-time employee shall be guaranteed two (2) days off to be taken between the day of death and two (2) working days following the funeral provided the employee attends the funeral or other bereavement rite.

So it states 2 days before the service, then 2 after. It then goes on to state this:

Time off shall not extend beyond the day of the funeral unless an additional day is required for travel. In no event shall the compensated time off exceed four (4) scheduled workdays.

So what is it? Two days before and two after, or two days before and one after (I am, indeed, travelling, and it's a grandparent)? It's contradictory language... which part stands?

oldngray

nowhere special
I'm actually requesting bereavement leave today, so I'm glad this thread is here.

I'm not sure if everyone else's contract is the same, but ours states the following:

A regular full-time employee shall be guaranteed two (2) days off to be taken between the day of death and two (2) working days following the funeral provided the employee attends the funeral or other bereavement rite.

So it states 2 days before the service, then 2 after. It then goes on to state this:

Time off shall not extend beyond the day of the funeral unless an additional day is required for travel. In no event shall the compensated time off exceed four (4) scheduled workdays.

So what is it? Two days before and two after, or two days before and one after (I am, indeed, travelling, and it's a grandparent)? It's contradictory language... which part stands?

You are paid after the funeral if you have travel time. But if the funeral is near where you live there would be no paid travel time after the funeral.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Manager didn't believe me last time I had a funeral and demanded I send him a selfie in front of the casket with the days newspaper.
5e8edf15a76520c809c84242df0c7141.png

working up a sweat

When my father passed away in 2010, I had to travel 1000 miles.

They gave me 5 days off paid.

I kept a Mass card(with DOB and DOD) in my wallet in case they wanted proof. Thay never asked for proof.

My brothers employer wanted proof, so I gave him a copy of the death certificate.