Funeral leave

SaWEET

How many days do union members get for uncle? Also, instead of funeral....management used two of my option days, where do I file a complaint?

542thruNthru

How many days do union members get for uncle? Also, instead of funeral....management used two of my option days, where do I file a complaint?
Sorry for your loss brother. Sadly uncle is not covered under funeral pay. Though this is the NMA and your supplemental agreement might differ.
Screenshot_20210130-115728_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
My experience with funerals is that UPS will generally work with you to get time off --even if it is unpaid. One of the few time they can show they are human.

Spanky250

My experience with funerals is that UPS will generally work with you to get time off --even if it is unpaid. One of the few time they can show they are human.

Agreed. My brother and mother died less than 24 hours apart. My center manger and supervisor could not have been more compassionate or accommodating.

barnyard

KTM rider
Even if your bosses are understanding, it is still important to read and understand the benefit. I had bosses that were not so understanding. My father in law died during the work day, I called them and told them it was probably happening and to line up help so that if he died I could go to the hospital to be with family. He died a couple of hours later, I called in and they had all gone home. No one was lined up to cover, the office person told me I could skip my break, but I had to finish my route.

Last edited:

Last One In

If anyone ever asks me why I am so bitter about working at UPS, I always remind them when my mother died I was given no time off due to her not having a funeral. Isn't it funny management wants to follow the contract to a T when it suits them? I, also, finished my route the day my mom died. Center manager told me he had no coverage. Probably will remind management of this on my last day with the company.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
If anyone ever asks me why I am so bitter about working at UPS, I always remind them when my mother died I was given no time off due to her not having a funeral. Isn't it funny management wants to follow the contract to a T when it suits them? I, also, finished my route the day my mom died. Center manager told me he had no coverage. Probably will remind management of this on my last day with the company.
Ooo.... I’d be sour forever I don’t blame you.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Yep.

They also can request a leave of absence, under Article 16 of the Master language.

"Any employee desiring leave of absence from employment shall secure written permission from both the Union and the Employer. The request for leave of absence shall be made in writing at least thirty (30) days before the day on which the leave is sought to commence. If the leave is not foreseeable, the employee shall submit the written request as soon as possible and shall include an explanation why the leave was not foreseeable. The Employer and Union shall respond to the request in writing within ten (10) days after receiving the request. The maximum leave of absence shall be for ninety (90) days and may be extended for like periods. Permission for same must be secured from both the Union and the Employer.

During the period of absence, the employee shall not engage in gainful employment, except as provided in Section 3 below."

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Even if your bosses are understanding, it is still important to read and understand the benefit. I had bosses that were not so understanding. My father in law died during the work day, I called them and told them it was probably happening and to line up help so that if he died I could go to the hospital to be with family. He died a couple of hours later, I called in and they had all gone home. No one was lined up to cover, the office person told me I could skip my break, but I had to finish my route.
Should have said you felt dizzy after hearing the news and were afraid of getting into an accident

Hold her funeral next week.

You should have called the guys in your loop. If that was the situation I did everything I could to help you out best I could

barnyard

KTM rider
You should have called the guys in your loop.
That is what I did. 2 guys split my pick ups and another took the rest of my stops. The 3 of us used to take lunch together almost every day. If someone was really heavy or knew they had a heavy pick up, we would divide the work so that we would all punch out at about the same time.

That is what I did. 2 guys split my pick ups and another took the rest of my stops. The 3 of us used to take lunch together almost every day. If someone was really heavy or knew they had a heavy pick up, we would divide the work so that we would all punch out at about the same time.
It's truly sickening how this place doesn't give a friend* about anything

My fat ass just wouldn't have been at work that day.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You in the will? If so, get down there. Scum family members will steal everything not nailed down.