Future of UPS

Browndriver5

What is some of your opinions on the future of our company? I just don't see future drivers making the pay/benefits in the future. I hope I'm wrong but I think there will be drastic changes made

UPS4Life

Why would we cut pay? Yes I understand that's what happens but look at the driver shortage in America for truck drivers and we are the highest paying company out there and there isn't a line at my building begging for a job. The shortage is only going to get worse.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Browndriver5

Why would we cut pay? Yes I understand that's what happens but look at the driver shortage in America for truck drivers and we are the highest paying company out there and there isn't a line at my building begging for a job. The shortage is only going to get worse.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I agree with you on your truck driving shortage but in order for us to competitive with fed ex in the future ups and our union will have to take a step back look at the big picture. I just think in order for us to grow that would be the only way

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
the union will continue to lose power until it doesn't matter anymore. ( 2-3 more contracts )

robotics running the hubs will cut down workforce there probably 75% or more.

feeder ops will be discontinued. subcontractors will take over.

package will last the longest but UPS will open mini hubs on every street corner and employ pizza delivery drivers to deliver neighborhoods.

the only semi winner will be shareholders and their dividends.

time frame 10-20 years.

ref. trends research institute of California ( my office )

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I think the company will look relatively the same. But the way we do things will change.

Everything will be centralized. Dispatch won't be done in the center.

Delivery info will be loaded into the truck, not just the DIAD. Every part of the driver's day will be automated. Since it will then no longer be a skilled job pay will stagnate.

Loading and unloading feeders will still be done by people. But there won't be sorters. That will all be automated as well.

OMS jobs will all by done by call center employees. There's really no need to have someone there as it is. All of the stuff they do could easily be handled remotely.

Either CMs or On Cars will be a thing of the past. There is no need for both.

That's just some of the things I see changing over the next 20 years.

Browndriver5

The thing is I really love driving and I'm just concerned for the future. I'm only 23 and ive been employed at UPS for 5 1/2 years, I just became a cover driver. I just hope we can change with the climate of America and still be considered a top notch job

UPS4Life

The thing is I really love driving and I'm just concerned for the future. I'm only 23 and ive been employed at UPS for 5 1/2 years, I just became a cover driver. I just hope we can change with the climate of America and still be considered a top notch job
I know not everyone will agree with me on this matter and it's not the only problem but we really need to strengthen the union as a whole, on the local and national level. While the right to work states try to tear the union apart we need to build it back up.
You have a long way to retirement and by the sounds of it you're banking on this company's survival just like I am too. I don't want to end up like the post office or YRC. Both still employed but the post office is hurting and sub contracting a lot and YRC trying to restructure and survive.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Browndriver5

I know not everyone will agree with me on this matter and it's not the only problem but we really need to strengthen the union as a whole, on the local and national level. While the right to work states try to tear the union apart we need to build it back up.
You have a long way to retirement and by the sounds of it you're banking on this company's survival just like I am too. I don't want to end up like the post office or YRC. Both still employed but the post office is hurting and sub contracting a lot and YRC trying to restructure and survive.

Sent using BrownCafe App

The reason the union is shrinking is because the American dream is no more and that's something that has a long way to go to get back to where it was when my parents were growing up. The majority of young adults my age have no desire to put in work for something they want and its sad, the other problem I have is there are too many employees that are supported by the union who shouldn't have jobs. I am a big fan of unions, but there are people at UPS who shouldn't be employed and I think that's where unions get a bad name

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/future-of-ups.361208/#ixzz3Wk2z3o8b

Indecisi0n

The reason the union is shrinking is because the American dream is no more and that's something that has a long way to go to get back to where it was when my parents were growing up. The majority of young adults my age have no desire to put in work for something they want and its sad, the other problem I have is there are too many employees that are supported by the union who shouldn't have jobs. I am a big fan of unions, but there are people at UPS who shouldn't be employed and I think that's where unions get a bad name

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/future-of-ups.361208/#ixzz3Wk2z3o8b
Stop worrying about the lazy drivers. There is always going to be someone taking advantage. As long as the union is doing more good than harm I am all for the union. If this wasn't a union job I would have been fired years ago for numbers. I am not a slacker, I do the job by their methods because that's what I'm paid to do.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

The American dream is very much alive and well. I'm living it.

There's an entire industry in China bassed of coming here to have your baby so they can be an American citizen. People are flocking by the millions to America every year.