Georgia On My Mind

vantexan

Just a tip for anyone considering places for retirement. I'm in the country of Georgia, about 4 million, on the Black Sea between Russia and Turkey. Cost of living according to website Numbeo is 56% less overall than the United States.

Why Georgia? Friendly people who love the U.S.. Great food, very mountainous with beautiful scenery everywhere. A lot of English usage, street signs in English, menus in English.

It's a developing nation, but the capital Tbilisi has large malls, fiber optic 100 mbps internet, latest movies in English in modern theaters, over 900 restaurants listed on Tripadvisor with many kinds of cuisines, a very nice subway system, excellent healthcare. Georgia has good railway service, recently added some modern trains from Switzerland, two levels of seating. If you like to hike and camp it's amazing. And has discount airline connections to most of the major cities in Europe for travel.

Georgia came out of communism raring to embrace capitalism and democracy. It's rated one of the easiest countries in the world to do business in. And it's extremely easy to move there. They allow citizens of about 70 countries to stay up to a year on a free tourist card, easily renewed by crossing the border and coming right back. Or take off on a cheap flight to other parts of Europe and get a new year on your return.

I've been to several places in Mexico. It has some good qualities but overall Georgia is better IMO. Of course if you can afford retirement in the U.S. you're set. But consider if you have $4000 a month retirement income in Georgia that's like having more than $8000 a month in the States. I doubt most of you will be interested but this is for those who are wondering how they'll manage, especially former Fedexers.

vantexan

The uncertainty of a one year free tourist pass would concern me----what is their stance on dual citizenship?
Citizenship is a lengthy process, but permanent residency is easy to get. I mention the tourist route because most nations are nowhere near as generous and staying past 90 days requires serious red tape. Due to the ease of staying and cost of living Georgia now has a large expat population. And it's doubtful they'd change that. After breaking free from the Soviet Union almost two million Georgians left to seek employment overseas so foreign residents bringing their own income is seen as a real plus for their economy.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
i hear russians like to go on holiday there

G-14.jpg

vantexan

What about their ski lift system? I’ve got some concerns after the incident in Gudauri last week.

Yeah, saw that. Not typical, and not the only ski area. No one was killed last I heard, and we had ski lifts in the States kill people unfortunately.