Geotagging

over9five

Staff member
Using your smartphone to upload pictures to the internet?

"Embedded inside several smartphones is a geotag feature which can reveal the exact location of pictures you post online and much more."

The reporter I watched took a picture of herself with her smartphone and posted it. It took 30 seconds for this guy to find her exact location.

Very scary.

Story

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Using your smartphone to upload pictures to the internet?

"Embedded inside several smartphones is a geotag feature which can reveal the exact location of pictures you post online and much more."

The reporter I watched took a picture of herself with her smartphone and posted it. It took 30 seconds for this guy to find her exact location.

Very scary.

Story

Your latest picture in "How's the View" says that you use a Samsung SGH-A797 cell phone.
EXIF info has been embedded in jpegs for years. I have a Canon 30D that shows my full name in all EXIF info because it's registered to me as the owner.

Almost any photo software that gives you an option to "optimize for the net/email" will strip this info from the picture.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Your latest picture in "How's the View" says that you use a Samsung SGH-A797 cell phone.
EXIF info has been embedded in jpegs for years. I have a Canon 30D that shows my full name in all EXIF info because it's registered to me as the owner.

Almost any photo software that gives you an option to "optimize for the net/email" will strip this info from the picture.

Hi Dizzee ... long time no see.
Any phone or camera that has GPS activated, has this EXIF info in it.
Therefore, another option is to disable GPS when taking a picture or at all times which is what I did.
Have it on in my Nikon camera so I can retrace exactly where I took a picture in case I need to tweek it some.