Get everyone at your station on this site

thedownhillEXPRESS

Even if they all don't sign up, get them reading.
You can go down easy, or fighting.
I wonder if this is what Fred envisioned over 30 years ago ?
Mass hatred...

vantexan

Even if they all don't sign up, get them reading.
You can go down easy, or fighting.
I wonder if this is what Fred envisioned over 30 years ago ?
Mass hatred...

The problem is too little, too late. It now takes 50% of all couriers signing union cards to force a vote. When FedEx implements Dynamic ROADS this fall it's pretty much game over. Even if by some miracle you could get 50% to sign by the end of the year, FedEx could fire strikers and bring in newhires who could just work off the manifest. ROADS is their ace in the hole, which IMO was why they seemed to be rushing it in when the Democrats were in control of Congress and the RLA status appeared to be in jeopardy.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Absolutely and I wont argue that , my point is to get as many people on board to leave as big of a black eye on our way out.
Throw some idea's around, planned sickouts ( with doctors notes of course), anonoymous calls to the media and investigative reporters, telling all your customers what is happening, etc.
Leave you with some satisfaction after we're all getting 25 hours a week, no sick time, probably a big takeaway on vacation time too...

Ricochet1a

Absolutely and I wont argue that , my point is to get as many people on board to leave as big of a black eye on our way out.
Throw some idea's around, planned sickouts ( with doctors notes of course), anonoymous calls to the media and investigative reporters, telling all your customers what is happening, etc.
Leave you with some satisfaction after we're all getting 25 hours a week, no sick time, probably a big takeaway on vacation time too...

I hate to break this to you, but the same "talk" went on here back in 2009, 2010...

FedEx is fully prepared to use discipline to boot employees who attempt any sort of labor action. Posters in the past have urged similar actions - nothing ever materialized on even a regional level, forget about national level.

The options back in 2009/10 were: Leave, organize or bendover.

The organize option has effectively been taken away with the latest victory by FedEx and other corporations which use the RLA.

Many are currently bentover (although they don't admit it or if they do, won't accept personal responsibility and make an exit plan in advance of the impending changes)

The reason I've continued to post here is to help those who have some prospect of saving themselves to get them motivated to find something else and get out before the change drags them under.

winglas

"Many are currently bentover (although they don't admit it or if they do, won't accept personal responsibility and make an exit plan in advance of the impending changes)

The reason I've continued to post here is to help those who have some prospect of saving themselves to get them motivated to find something else and get out before the change drags them under."

Trust me, Ive been trying to get out and will continue to do so as im sure many others are, but its not as easy to do as it seems. As a fresh graduate my experience wthin my degree field is limited, and even though Im qualified for the positions im applying for I think its important to keep in mind that there are many, many others who have years of experience who are also competing for the same positions. And its not like this just for me, there are many others within Ex and everywhere else that are facing the same challenges.

I know at my facility from the outside looking in it looks as though ive "bent over" because Ive taken on extra training, titles, and responsibility but its all been strategically done to compliment my degree field and (hopefully) add to my experience level thus benefitting my search for work elsewhere. Does my senior know this is part of a strategy? Of course not...he thinks im good as gold and loves me to pieces for helping out the facility (and in the end him), but at least he is a decent human being that I halfway like being around unlike my manager.

Bottom line is leaving isnt as simple as packing your bags one night and leaving the next day...if it was im certain there would be a mass exodus, but like everything else in life it takes time. Ive been with the company a VERY VERY short time, and had I known then what I know now I would have gone elsewhere, but like many others from the outside looking in the company has a seemingly rock solid reputation with the outside world, which is a large reason why and how they are able (in my opinion) to keep people applying. In reality, those who are able to find gainful employment elsewhere will leave, and those who cant, wont...but there will always be (some) fresh new faces having brain activity that will be in same boat we are in now...they get hired, think its a good thing initially, and then see the downhill slide. In this respect R1A, I hope you will be around for a while because your going to have ALOT of "helping" to do.

Ricochet1a

The "leave, organize or bendover" series of options were first posted by me quite some time ago. To get the full context, you'd have to go back to those posts.

When listing "leave" as an option, it wasn't intended as advice to just up and quit (as one poster here tried to suggest), it was intended as a statement that making a plan to get out of Express was one of the three possible options for those who were potentially viewing Express as a career.

I hired into Express thinking I was going to make it a career. I very quickly found out that the Express that existed when I hired on, was different from the Express that existed when the friends that suggested it too me hired on some 10 to 15 years earlier (they had all left field ops and were in Memphis and two other locations when I hired on).

After about a year with Express, I started making my plan to get out - I knew that the Express that existed in the early to mid 90s wasn't the Express that existed in the middle part of the last decade. At the same time, I started looking into the possibility of organizing Express from within. It took me a few years of getting my graduate degree while working part-time to finally "Leave".

The "bendover" option was intended for those who knew things were going to get even worse in the future, but who wouldn't sign a union card under any circumstances and refused to make any plan to get out - they were stuck. Their common excuse was along the line, "if we do organize, we'll all get locked out then we'll really be in trouble". They were bentover for Fred and were willing to accept whatever he offered (and took away) without offering any resistance or making any plan to get out to get a better living. They were figuratively "bentover".

The real change occurred when the defined benefit pension plan was taken away. This is when all the leaks started. The people who were in the salaried staff of Express and committed to a career themselves, were screwed by FedEx (along with the wage employees). They knew the only way the DBPP would ever be brought back is if the wage force was to unionize and get a decent pension plan negotiated. Then Express would've had no option but to restore a pension similar in value to the DBPP to ALL Express employees, including salaried employees. There are many within Express (including frontline management) who WANT Express to unionize, knowing it would improve their compensation as a consequence - thus all the leaks.

Trust me, my "leave" plan took years to execute. I wish I could've done it within a few months of deciding to leave, but I had to maintain myself with some income while I completed my Masters.

The leave option is more of a realization that things will only get worse in Express (since not enough are willing to organize to salvage Express as a viable career option for anyone, wage or salaried), so an individual begins to make an exit plan for life "after FedEx". It takes time, and because of that, people cannot wait until the last moment when they are facing even more "take-aways" from their compensation potentially placing them into serious hurt.

For many full-timers, they are literally looking at having their compensation gradually reduced by a third over the next couple of years with the impending changes - and even more after that. The first part of that change has already arrived - supposedly no OT is to be scheduled. It remains to be seen how successful Express is in implementing that - but they will eventually eliminate OT. Many full timers who are used to having a lifestyle geared to bringing in pay from working 50 hours a week, are going to be hurting in the near future. Since they are full-time, their ability to get outside part-time work is limited, since Express requires all full-time employees to be available for all shifts assigned without any advance notice given - they "own" the full-timers.

TUT

You are right it will be messy. But if the volumes were growing for Express, things would have been different. Things are tough all over.