Get Your Pot in Massachusetts

over9five

Staff member
California voted against pot, but apparently Massachusetts wants it.

These questions were not on my ballot, so I guess it was just a sampling - non binding.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I don't care what argument is made by economists or hippies, I still think marijuana is a 'gateway' drug.....a door to bigger & stronger drugs. Ask any addict! :dissapointed:

I'm glad Californians voted it down....Jerry Brown is enough of a hippie era reminder that I need.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
will they do the same as alcohol ?
Federal excise taxes, state excise taxes and then tack on it a sales ( 6.5 % ) tax too ?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I don't care what argument is made by economists or hippies, I still think marijuana is a 'gateway' drug.....a door to bigger & stronger drugs. Ask any addict! :dissapointed:

I'm glad Californians voted it down....Jerry Brown is enough of a hippie era reminder that I need.

I have had some discussions with people who work in the treatment industry ... pot is a gateway drug but the overwhelming gateway drug is alcohol.

bbsam

Staff member
Personally, pot was never much to me. Could easily take it or leave it. Coke and crack on the other hand big difference. Had to have it. If not, drinking the sorrows away always worked...until it didn't.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

I don't think it matters whether or not marijuana is a gateway drug. It's partly a gateway drug because it's illegal and kids think it's cool to be antisocial and doing what they shouldn't be doing. Whether it's legal or not, it's going to be used by minors and be the same gateway drug.

Given it's nearly impossible to control; and given there's tons of taxpayers money being wasted on stopping it's sales and movement, it's probably a better idea IMO to legalize and tax, or at least decriminalizing, and focus on the dangerous drugs and drug dealers rather than the petty stuff.

Of course you "don't care what argument is made" , which means your mind is made up already no matter how convincing the evidence or how logical the opposing views are.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Personally, pot was never much to me. Could easily take it or leave it. Coke and crack on the other hand big difference. Had to have it. If not, drinking the sorrows away always worked...until it didn't.

One big difference between coke, crack and Alcohol versus pot is that pot is not addictive while the others are.
Alcohol has long been realized as having the most adverse affect on society in terms of emotional anguish and monetary impact. Of course, the reason for this large impact is that alcohol is the drug of choice for the most people in the US.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
One big difference between coke, crack and Alcohol versus pot is that pot is not addictive while the others are.
Alcohol has long been realized as having the most adverse affect on society in terms of emotional anguish and monetary impact. Of course, the reason for this large impact is that alcohol is the drug of choice for the most people in the US.

It is addictive....

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I was speaking in terms of physical addiction ... should have made that clear - my bad.
Pot, sex, gameboys, eating, gaming are examples of Psychologically addictive activities.

It's phsyically and psychologically addicting IMO. There are supporters and contrarians to both sides, but I do believe it is addicting on all levels. The only thing is, it's not dangerously addicting -which is what is important. For ex:, no one's going to kill someone or rob to get marijuana. Coke or heroin, different story.

Another thing with the whole gateway drug thing- I think most kids are predisposed to go down the path of drug use whether they smoke pot as a "gateway drug" or not. If it were not pot it'd be something else. AKA It's not so much the drug, it's the person.

bbsam

Staff member
Not only can alcohol be addictive, even in non-alcoholics it can create huge health problems all the way through the digestive and pulmonary sytems of the body.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Not only can alcohol be addictive, even in non-alcoholics it can create huge health problems all the way through the digestive and pulmonary sytems of the body.

Alcohol has been recognized as one of the strongest carcinogens that people normally come into contact with. It is a leading cause of mouth cancer, esophageal cancer and stomach cancer.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's phsyically and psychologically addicting IMO. There are supporters and contrarians to both sides, but I do believe it is addicting on all levels. The only thing is, it's not dangerously addicting -which is what is important. For ex:, no one's going to kill someone or rob to get marijuana. Coke or heroin, different story.

Another thing with the whole gateway drug thing- I think most kids are predisposed to go down the path of drug use whether they smoke pot as a "gateway drug" or not. If it were not pot it'd be something else. AKA It's not so much the drug, it's the person.

So you are saying that it is in their genes or DNA or whatever that a child is going to use drugs at some point in their life? This kid could have the best home life, go to the best school, hang around with the best kids yet something in their chemistry will cause them to use or at least try drugs?

If I had to bet I would say that peer pressure and the lack of parental involvement would be the two leading causes of drug use by kids today and that there is no predisposiition to drug use.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Alcohol has been recognized as one of the strongest carcinogens that people normally come into contact with. It is a leading cause of mouth cancer, esophageal cancer and stomach cancer.

...as well as divorce, unwanted/unintended pregnancies, job loss and resulting financial difficulties...

moreluck

golden ticket member
I don't drink, so they could take away alcohol for all I care......but if they touch Caffeine free Diet Coke, I'll have to go get my Glock!!!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Upstate - that wording wasn't right. What I meant was that, IMO given the entire population that uses and eventually gets hooked on drugs in their life, many if not most have addictive qualities and/or genetic links to that type of behavior.

Many of them also do as their parents do - the more drugs in the parents world, the more the kids think it's okay. Even your dad drinking a 12 pack getting loaded on Sunday. A child sees that as what grownups do, and what to look forward to in their 20s. :/ That is more of an environmental thing.

moreluck

golden ticket member
So you are saying that it is in their genes or DNA or whatever that a child is going to use drugs at some point in their life? This kid could have the best home life, go to the best school, hang around with the best kids yet something in their chemistry will cause them to use or at least try drugs?

If I had to bet I would say that peer pressure and the lack of parental involvement would be the two leading causes of drug use by kids today and that there is no predisposiition to drug use.
It's TRUE !! It's an addictive gene. Sometimes it skips a generation. You can be the best, most attentive, most involved parent and give your kids the best education, but they go and not only do drugs, but become hopelessly hooked. As far as addicted kids, I'm batting 1000! One is celebrating 8 yrs (AA) on Nov. 16th. (crystal meth, heroine & cocaine)The other one quit cold turkey years ago and never looked back (ice). The other one is ....I don't know where, but he has been a career criminal all his life from young teens.

And it's not the trying of drugs so much as becoming addicted when they do. The trying is probably peer pressure....but the fact that they can't stop is in them. Hubby & I never tried any drugs.....knowing that the gene for addiction was in our families. I guess we were scared straight.

The Role Of Genetics In Addiction

Most experts agree that genetics do play a role in addiction but this factor does not necessarily mean that family members have a gene that says they will definitely become an addict of something but that these people all carry significant genetics that suggest they are more susceptible to addiction and once they start using a substance, will find it increasingly difficult to cease using it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm sorry, I'm just not buying it. Peer pressure and lack of parental involvement weigh far more heavily than any supposed predisposition.

"...once they start using a substance..." is the key. I would think that most people would find it increasingly difficult to break a habit once we have started, whether it be pot or biting our fingernails.

I tried pot and, to be honest, I kind of liked the way that it made me feel. It was also just as easy for me to stop.

My addiction is junk food, especially Hot Tamales and Circus Peanuts. I can't have just a few--I normally finish the box or bag as soon as I open it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm sorry, I'm just not buying it. Peer pressure and lack of parental involvement weigh far more heavily than any supposed predisposition.

"...once they start using a substance..." is the key. I would think that most people would find it increasingly difficult to break a habit once we have started, whether it be pot or biting our fingernails.

I tried pot and, to be honest, I kind of liked the way that it made me feel. It was also just as easy for me to stop.

My addiction is junk food, especially Hot Tamales and Circus Peanuts. I can't have just a few--I normally finish the box or bag as soon as I open it.

You're entitled to an opinion but you're speaking like a know-it-all as always. Ridiculous, but run with it if you want. :happy-very: