Getting fired

Terry D.

Hi, I have worked for UPS for 13 years. just recently I got a DUI in my personal car. I was in jail and I had my wife call my manager, cause no one would answer the phone at my center, and He(manager) put me on vacation for the week while I waited to be arraigned and could out. Well through our great legal system I was unable to get out and was left in jail for 2 more weeks. I had 2 more weeks vacation time that could have been used to cover my time in jail, since it was an emergency. My wife kept my manager apprised of my situation, but he would/could not give me the other 2 weeks I had coming to me. He leaked out to his boss where I was and jumped at the chance to fire me for "job abandonment", which is basically "no call no show". Even though they were called and knew where I was and what was going on. I even talked to my immediate supervisor on the phone from jail and told him the situation they still claim I did not contact them. So I filed my grievance and it's my belief that my Union rep. didn't fight for me, I wasn't even at the labor/union meeting where I was told by phone that i wouldn't be allowed back to work to part-time shifts. I even went to TAP and went through a treatment program. Another thing that pisses my off is that my manager has given other co-workers of my emergency time off with vacation pay in the passed even for being in jail. Any way need a good lawyer cause I don't trust my union rep.

Sorry story is so long, thanks
Terry D.

J

jibbs

I hate to say it but, from a jail phone, there's absolutely no way to prove that you yourself called your hub and spoke with anybody, let alone anybody in charge (your local detention center will not release phone conversation recordings without some kind of legal intervention). Having your wife call is shakier ground. There'd be a phone record, but there also exists a record of you not residing in your home at the time the call was made... I completely understand why your wife initially called, though-- hell, I'd've done something similar were I in your shoes that night.

****ty situation. Whatever the circumstances surrounding your DUI, I most definitely sympathize and hope that you can achieve an outcome that works in your favor.

I agree with you, lawyer up and see if you can turn this into something other than "He said, she said." I have no referrals for you, however, as I don't know a soul in Hidden Valley Lake, CA.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'm just trying to figure out how someone spends three weeks in the slammer for a simple DUI.

What's the rest of the story?

J

jibbs

I'm just trying to figure out how someone spends three weeks in the slammer for a simple DUI.

What's the rest of the story?

It's around here somewhere....

Maybe the commissioner thought D.Terry a flight risk and denied bond? Maybe there's multiple DUIs in the backstory? Maybe he saw a stabbing in booking, ended up with a bloody shank thrown at his feet, questioned about the assault and then hit with more charges when he couldn't/wouldn't explain the real story (anyone seen Felon?)?

There's definitely more to it, though. I'm not one to press, just to speculate.

Hi, I have worked for UPS for 13 years. just recently I got a DUI in my personal car. I was in jail and I had my wife call my manager, cause no one would answer the phone at my center, and He(manager) put me on vacation for the week while I waited to be arraigned and could out. Well through our great legal system I was unable to get out and was left in jail for 2 more weeks. I had 2 more weeks vacation time that could have been used to cover my time in jail, since it was an emergency. My wife kept my manager apprised of my situation, but he would/could not give me the other 2 weeks I had coming to me. He leaked out to his boss where I was and jumped at the chance to fire me for "job abandonment", which is basically "no call no show". Even though they were called and knew where I was and what was going on. I even talked to my immediate supervisor on the phone from jail and told him the situation they still claim I did not contact them. So I filed my grievance and it's my belief that my Union rep. didn't fight for me, I wasn't even at the labor/union meeting where I was told by phone that i wouldn't be allowed back to work to part-time shifts. I even went to TAP and went through a treatment program. Another thing that pisses my off is that my manager has given other co-workers of my emergency time off with vacation pay in the passed even for being in jail. Any way need a good lawyer cause I don't trust my union rep.

Terry D.
What were you drinking that night?? If its beer I have a good thread for you in the life after brown forum called beer. Check it out I think it would be right up your ally.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
If your management team really did give you one of your vacations early the first week you were in the clink and it wasn't scheduled that may be your saving grace to prove you did speak to them and they were aware of the situation.

davidmex

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Terry D.

If you are irresponsible enough to drive under the influence & put society in danger, maybe you don't belong to in this brotherhood. You better face your consequence for your action.
MADD - Voices of Victims - Why We're Here

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Everyone makes mistakes davidmex...no one is perfect. Shame on you for kicking someone when they are down.hope your comment makes you feel good about yourself. He made a mistake and now is fired from a job he has had for 13 years. I'm shure while sitting in jail he has realized his mistake. There are people out raping and murdering women and children. Why don't you go to different forum and focus your anger on them

Bizzob232

2nd generation UPSer

Terry D.

If you are irresponsible enough to drive under the influence & put society in danger, maybe you don't belong to in this brotherhood. You better face your consequence for your action.
MADD - Voices of Victims - Why We're Here

Really? No one on this forum had ever had one two many? Yeah right. I'd be willing to bet the ups drunk driver rate is way higher than most other jobs. We spend 8-12 a day professionally driving. I know I've been guilty of downing a couple on my ride home before

Terry D.

Well the story being long I condensed it. I went to my first arraignment and there were no felony attorneys, so was told if I was there for a felony I could not ask for O.R. (own recognizance) to get out. I was still put on vacation and my next court date was for the following Mon. Didn't have enough capitol to make bail by the way. First DUI with injuries (bruised ribs) to other pass. Anyway was appointed a lawyer on first court date, basically was given a business card for the lawyer and was told I could call him from jail. Well I called everyday as many times as I could to speak to him, talking about "no call, no show" never answered or came to see me. So court on Mon. rolls around and judge calls my case, lawyer stands up and says who is Terry D. I say here sir, and he pulls out his card and says "here's my card call you can call me from jail anytime" I said that I had and he brushed that off and then said "do you want to settle this now or be appointed another attorney, as I'll be on vacation for the next 2 weeks out of the country". Anyway, I said Yes I want another attorney, as I didn't want to get screwed without at least talking about my case. So next court date was scheduled for 2 weeks later.

Terry D.

Well being human I made a huge mistake and losing my job won't take it back. I didn't and don't need judgments I need advice. I take full responsibility for my actions, as many other drivers who have gotten DUIs have, even in my center which is in Napa. Does that mean I should be treated differently than other drivers in my center or anywhere else?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
So, 1st DUI included injuries, and 2nd(?) was a felony under you state law. You are lucky your center manager stepped up and gave you a week's vacation. In my neck of the woods, you get a pass on the 1st (misdemeanor) DUI, go through rehab, and are subject to random testing anytime afterwards. We lost one driver last year that was tested on vacation and fired, and another after he 'fessed up to the center manager on a Monday morning after his second (he just turned around and left).

I think you're screwed. Sorry.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Well being human I made a huge mistake and losing my job won't take it back. I didn't and don't need judgments I need advice. I take full responsibility for my actions, as many other drivers who have gotten DUIs have, even in my center which is in Napa. Does that mean I should be treated differently than other drivers in my center or anywhere else?

BTW, I'm not judging. I am certainly no angel, maybe just luckier than you.