Getting fired.

MAKAVELI

Moreso a close professional relationship with particular doctors in a hub/center's area.

Just recently I pinched my finger and got a huge blood blister on my fingertip. I told my supervisor that, with how big/deep the injury was, if it popped while I was working I'd have to clock out because blood on every package I touch is neither sanitary or reasonable to work through.

New manager pops up out of nowhere. Tells me if it busts I'm gonna need stitches and a supervisor will have to accompany me to, quote unquote, "our doctor" (as opposed to "the doctor.") I told him if I need medical attention and can't drive myself, he needs to call an ambulance and if I can drive myself, no UPS personnel is stepping foot into the doctor's office with me. "But it's policy," he said. I asked him to show me in writing where that's the way it should be, two weeks later he still hasn't said so much as "Morning," to me.

Seriously, don't let UPS take you to the doctor of their choosing. I don't have any personal experience to back that sentiment up but I'm cynical by nature and there's absolutely no good reason for there to be anyone other than the medical professional and the patient present, unless the patient expresses explicit consent to another person being there.
This is common with any employer. They are not company doctors, but rather designated providers for work related injuries. Where I'm at you usually have to go to one first if you haven't designated one yourself prior to a work related injury. But then you can get referred to your private physician one the first assessment is done. You are correct that no one has authority to be present in the doctors office without your consent.

J

jibbs

This is common with any employer. They are not company doctors, but rather designated providers for work related injuries. Where I'm at you usually have to go to one first if you haven't designated one yourself prior to a work related injury. But then you can get referred to your private physician one the first assessment is done. You are correct that no one has authority to be present in the doctors office without your consent.

Oh :censored2:, true... so if I haven't given them my PCP's information then they have no obligation to allow me to choose where I go for treatment?

I should probably let 'em know tomorrow, lol...

wayfair

swollen member
I busted my finger wide open on the bulk head door jamb and had to go to a local Dr. on route because I was an hour away from the center. I got stitched up and went back to work.
When I returned to the building, they had me go straight to the clinic. All they did was unwrap the wound dressing, looked at it, then wrapped it back up.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
IMG_5435.JPG

dudebro

Moreso a close professional relationship with particular doctors in a hub/center's area.

Just recently I pinched my finger and got a huge blood blister on my fingertip. I told my supervisor that, with how big/deep the injury was, if it popped while I was working I'd have to clock out because blood on every package I touch is neither sanitary or reasonable to work through.

New manager pops up out of nowhere. Tells me if it busts I'm gonna need stitches and a supervisor will have to accompany me to, quote unquote, "our doctor" (as opposed to "the doctor.") I told him if I need medical attention and can't drive myself, he needs to call an ambulance and if I can drive myself, no UPS personnel is stepping foot into the doctor's office with me. "But it's policy," he said. I asked him to show me in writing where that's the way it should be, two weeks later he still hasn't said so much as "Morning," to me.

Seriously, don't let UPS take you to the doctor of their choosing. I don't have any personal experience to back that sentiment up but I'm cynical by nature and there's absolutely no good reason for there to be anyone other than the medical professional and the patient present, unless the patient expresses explicit consent to another person being there.

I don't think anyone expects to be IN the doctor's office with you, that's illegal. In every case where I've brought a person to the doctor's office, I waited outside to ensure that they were OK and/or had a ride home.

There may not be written policy on this, but it is a liability concern. If, for instance, I suspect a concussion, and I let you drive yourself to the doctor and you crash, UPS is potentially liable.

Distracted driver

Distracted Driver
So I've been off work for 2 weeks with a concussion... that happened at school... my hub is trying to fire me for being off so many days. I took a doctors note for the first two days the doctor told me to have off bc I told her I can't really be off long. So I would go in every day talk to my lead he would ask if I was 100% I'd say what symptoms I still have and he'd send me home because " it's a dangerous job " I asked him when I return would I need another doctors note he said no. So the training department would constantly call me checking in wanting a update. Yesterday night I went in they took my ID and is leaving it to HR to deal with it. I told them I can go to the doctors and get a note and they said no it's fine I don't have too. They had a meeting with me and not once asked if I wanted a union rep. What can I do to fight this and not get fired ?? They're tryna say I have 17 occurance. Where i have not called in 17 times. She's counts all the days total I called in and is counting them as individual occurance. I've called out 3-4 times max and would take off 1-3 days. But this time I took off a 2weeks due to my concussion. I have to wait for HRs call today to see if I'm going to still be employed at ups. They've been trying to fire me since I've transferred to this hub.
You need a note to come back and probably they will send you for another dot exam a (fit for duty test). That is standard procedure when out for a length of time