Getting fired.

Distracted driver

Distracted Driver
They can't fire you but they will send you for a fit for duty test the place where you take you dot exam even after you come back with a note from your doctor clearing you to return to full duty

J

jibbs

I don't think anyone expects to be IN the doctor's office with you, that's illegal. In every case where I've brought a person to the doctor's office, I waited outside to ensure that they were OK and/or had a ride home.

There may not be written policy on this, but it is a liability concern. If, for instance, I suspect a concussion, and I let you drive yourself to the doctor and you crash, UPS is potentially liable.

Ohhhh, I get that 100%. In my situation, they wanted to drive me because I had a busted finger. That doesn't stop me from driving, it stops me from using that single fingertip that could've split open but has since healed.

I get the concussion thing, or if someone feinted, or heat exhaustion and all that-- things that impair a person's judgement or hinder their mobility. My supervisor just straight up lied and said that the workplace injury couldn't be confirmed over the phone when that's exactly how it's been done in my building before. He said he just wanted to be present to tell the doctor that "Yes, it happened while he was on the clock." My opinion? He doesn't need to be present to provide that information.

But I definitely get what you mean, though, I'm not really trying to argue with ya, man, even if it may seem that way.

dudebro

Even with the finger, you might be hindered driving. If someone is hurt, and there's no emergency threatening life or limb that requires an ambulance (chest pains, or a severe bleed), we typically take the injured employee to the doctor and ensure we arrange for transport home.

You're correct, your sup can tell the doctor it's a workers comp injury over the phone.

I mostly come here to provide a management viewpoint and be as informative as I can. It's all good.

35years

Gravy route
UPS National Master Agreement, 2013 - 2018
"The Employer agrees to provide any employee injured locally immediate transportation, at the time of injury, from the job to the nearest appropriate medical facility and return to the job, or to the employee’s home, if required. In such cases, no representative of the Employer shall be permitted to accompany the injured worker while he/she is receiving medical treatment and/or being examined by the medical provider, without the employee’s consent"
-----------------------------------

"Nearest appropriate medical facility" is rarely the UPS doctor.

Each State has it's own rules regulating who chooses the initial doctor and subsequent doctors. In my State (and most others), the injured employee has the right to choose the initial doctor, and the ongoing treating doctor. UPS can also require you to see their doctor (and will have to pay for both). In my State you are also allowed to switch the doctor of your choice once. Your next visit to one of the 2 doctors effectively indicates your choice of doctor. Referrals by your own doctor to a different doctor do not count as switching doctors, nor does seeing the UPS doctor, if required by UPS.

UPS is required to provide transportation to the doctor at the time of the injury, if requested by the employee.

The injured employee can ask the manager to leave the doctors clinic when he is receiving care, and the manager must comply. Before, during, and after the doctor's exam the manager has no right to require a "conference" with the doctor, employee, and manager. The employee, at the end of the exam, must inform the manager of the diagnosis and restrictions.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

While it is true that a member of management can accompany you to the medical facility, they are not allowed to be present while the actual examination is being conducted or medical treatment administered.

Several years ago I twisted my ankle. My boss drove me to the ER (small town----only medical facility open after 6 pm) and sat in the waiting room while I was being treated. I felt bad for him----we were and continue to be friends (he is retired)----and he really didn't want to be there but that is their policy.

He told me to take the next day off to rest the ankle and that he would see me on the following day.

What'dyabringmetoday???

While it is true that a member of management can accompany you to the medical facility, they are not allowed to be present while the actual examination is being conducted or medical treatment administered.

Several years ago I twisted my ankle. My boss drove me to the ER (small town----only medical facility open after 6 pm) and sat in the waiting room while I was being treated. I felt bad for him----we were and continue to be friends (he is retired)----and he really didn't want to be there but that is their policy.

He told me to take the next day off to rest the ankle and that he would see me on the following day.
Awwww... lol