Getting hurt at work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

People that "fix" quotes to fit their personal agenda are equally annoying. If brownmonster felt that "being hurt at work is annoying" that is what he would have said. What he did say is that he felt people being hurt all the time at work was getting annoying. I agree with him---it seems that its always the same people who "hurt" themselves. We had a driver, long since retired, who seemed to plan his vacations around being out on comp. We have a couple of casuals who seem to lose a lot of time over minor injuries. In no way am I saying that people should work while injured but this job is a physical one and it is not uncommon to have sore muscles or other minor ailments that should not keep us out of work.

Indecisi0n

Sorry guys I have to get more information. From what I grasped he told me he got hurt, went to the ER then to the UPS doctor. The UPS doc pretty much just pushed him out the door even though the driver still feels like something is wrong. He talked this over with the UPS doc but was told "your fine, now get back to work." Trust me this driver isn't one of those guys milking the system. He has been with the company for a while but like a lot of guys at my shop doesn't know his right. I am trying to help him but i am still learning myself !

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He needs to take a day off and schedule a visit with his primary care physician who will have the time to properly diagnose his condition. ER doctors do a good job but are normally overwhelmed while the company docotors care more about the bottom line than our well-being.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As to not start another thread, is there any recourse for long duration injuries? My left shoulder gives me fits here and there, and it's pretty obvious to me it's a repetitive motion injury from sorting. I'm FT PC now, but fear that in the future it will one day rear it's ugly head. Like I said, it comes and goes. I assume UPS would fight this tooth and nail? No smoking gun, not like I blew my shoulder out at work or anything.

I was experiencing tingling and loss of sensation in the tips of my pinky and ring fingers on both hands. Turns out the ulnar nerve in my elbows were pinched. Had surgery to relocate the nerve, two weeks recovery, two weeks light duty. There was no specific injury date, which I also thought may be a problem with comp, but there were no issues whatsoever and comp covered everything.

Johney

Tell your friend to get a comp attorney and go see his own Dr. If they do find something wrong he will need to be prepared for a fight. Don't worry about the hospital Dr. they don't really want to get too involved with w/comp(at least around here)and some will just push you out the door unless you have a bone sticking out. I know a guy who once was sent packing from a hospital after a couple of stitches due to no insurance complaining of a hurt foot. Only to find out later he had a broken vertebrae in his back,which was causing his foot pain. So (I) don't take too much faith in ER Drs.or their diagnosis. If he is hurt bad prepare for a long fight especially if they take it as far as the court system. Here there is a 18 month back-log. That's a long time to wait.

Johney

I was experiencing tingling and loss of sensation in the tips of my pinky and ring fingers on both hands. Turns out the ulnar nerve in my elbows were pinched. Had surgery to relocate the nerve, two weeks recovery, two weeks light duty. There was no specific injury date, which I also thought may be a problem with comp, but there were no issues whatsoever and comp covered everything.
Are you sure you have the same comp company the rest of us have? Man around here they want to know the time,place,size of box,how it happened. Repetitive injuries.....forget about it.

Integrity

Binge Poster
If someone got hurt at work and is getting denied medical help from UPS (MRI/xrays etc) will the union provide a lawyer to fight for him to get these test? If yes can you tell me where in the contract this is. I am asking for a good friend. Thank you.

I believe it's the ups doctor denying the test.

He got hurt and went to ER. They said it was nothing. He filed injury at work and thy sent him to their doc. UPS "doc" says he is fine and won't order addition testing.
Indecision,

Thanks for starting this discussion thread.

What is the doctors diagnosis and followup care recommendation?

I need this information to make any comments that would not lack integrity.

I admire your willingness to try to help your friend!!

Sincerely,
I

menotyou

bella amicizia
I was stating my point while being polite. My true feelings on the subject wouldn't be pretty.
I find it interesting when people who haven't been hurt at work feel the need to point fingers at those who were. If you use a 3/4 ton truck to pick up 500 2x4's everyday, it will probably last a while. If you use a fiat to do it, it won't. It's pretty simple in my case. And, while we are here, I didn't agitate anyone at work on purpose, until they agitated me. What happens in your center, or in the Bubble of Goodness is not the norm. Open your eyes. Am I the only one on here complaining of harassment or horrendous working conditions? No, and far from it. I am a 5'3" 120 lb girl who was doing a job meant for a gorilla. If I was so horrible, why to this day, does my on-car call me and ask when I am coming back to be his angel. I was one of #'ers angels. Agitator, my ass. Just because I stand up for myself.

barnyard

KTM rider
It must be a regional thing. My local has its own workers comp attorney that handles all of our denied claims. The OP needs to talk to his union rep

I spoke to my BA about a comp attorney and he said that the initial consultation was free and that because the union referred people, they worked at a reduced rate. I just came off comp and decided not to use an attorney. State law here makes it pretty easy to go through the system. I had a repetitive motion injury also.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I was stating my point while being polite. My true feelings on the subject wouldn't be pretty.
brownmonster,

I know the truth is hard sometimes but I am very interested in your true feelings.

Do you think people who report all workplace injuries are

weak?

lying?

committing insurance fraud?

What are your true feelings?

Please share the ugly truth.

I thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
I

I find it interesting when people who haven't been hurt at work feel the need to point fingers at those who were. If you use a 3/4 ton truck to pick up 500 2x4's everyday, it will probably last a while. If you use a fiat to do it, it won't. It's pretty simple in my case. And, while we are here, I didn't agitate anyone at work on purpose, until they agitated me. What happens in your center, or in the Bubble of Goodness is not the norm. Open your eyes. Am I the only one on here complaining of harassment or horrendous working conditions? No, and far from it. I am a really hot 5'3" 120 lb girl who was doing a job meant for a gorilla. If I was so horrible, why to this day, does my on-car call me and ask when I am coming back to be his angel. I was one of #'ers angels. Agitator, my ass. Just because I stand up for myself.
I love people who fix personnel quotas for their own agenda.

People that "fix" quotes to fit their personal agenda are equally annoying. If brownmonster felt that "being hurt at work is annoying" that is what he would have said. What he did say is that he felt people being hurt all the time at work was getting annoying. I agree with him---it seems that its always the same people who "hurt" themselves. We had a driver, long since retired, who seemed to plan his vacations around being out on comp. We have a couple of casuals who seem to lose a lot of time over minor injuries. In no way am I saying that people should work while injured but this job is a physical one and it is not uncommon to have sore muscles or other minor ailments that should not keep us out of work.
Dislike
I love people who fix personnel quotas for their own agenda.
anonymous likes this

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The company doctors care more about the bottom line than our well-being.

I can't emphasize this enough.

Never.... Ever....

Go to a "company" doctor.

Unless.... you are glutton for punishment.

And, are willing to subject yourself to financial loss....

With the added bonus of a "possible" career ending injury.

-Bug-

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The union does not provide a lawyer for comp cases. Your coworker's best bet is to search your state's worker's comp laws, read them and understand them. If he/she does not understand the law, get an attorney. The path most comp cases go, when working with a comp doctor is: PT, lots of pt; when the pt does not work, order more advanced imaging; proceed according to what the imaging shows. MRI - more PT, maybe a cortisone shot before surgery (if surgery is indicated).

Most of the time, unless there is a bone protruding or something really obvious, advanced imaging will not be ordered until cheaper therapies are exhausted.
Absolutely true. It seems stupid to me. My surgeon is well respected in his field and he says surgery on my shoulder is indicated but I have to now go to an IME which is wasting weeks again. LibMut wastes more time and resources..............