Getting hurt at work.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Check your state work comp laws BEFORE you do anything else. Here is why: Work comp laws in AZ state that a physician that see the patient 2 consecutive visits becomes the treating physician. This includes a UPS physician. If at some point you wish to change doctors you have to petition Work Comp to do so, which means a hearing.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I spoke to my BA about a comp attorney and he said that the initial consultation was free and that because the union referred people, they worked at a reduced rate. I just came off comp and decided not to use an attorney. State law here makes it pretty easy to go through the system. I had a repetitive motion injury also.
In my case, the lawyer that I have talked to has quoted me substantially reduced rates. Right now, I have not actually hired him but he is 'available' if I need him. I did talk to him the other day because of the letter I received from the IME. The IME said that no one would be allowed in the exam. I verified that with the lawyer and he confirmed it but he did tell me to record the visit.

barnyard

KTM rider
Huh.

Here, my wife was allowed in with the IME. She took notes. Did not need them. We were discussing the case and I said that my Dr said, "blah, blah, blah." IME, "You mean Dr so and so." Me, "Yep." IME wrote a bunch of stuff down and said, "OK, we are done." I was kind of surprised because I thought we still had quit a bit more to discuss. We got his report a couple of days later. He agreed with all the treatment and disagreed on the cause. I said it was from non-power steering, he said it was from handling packages and the steering had nothing to do with it.

My doctor laughed at the report and said, "Details, details. He knows that I would prevail if there was a comp hearing."

I had a GREAT doc on my side. The comp folk did not question anything he prescribed. Other than having to go through PT that frequently made me cry (literally), I cannot complain with how my case was handled.

k946

Barnyard, you got extremely lucky. In my case the company Dr. said I need a surgeon, my surgeon said I need surgery. So I had surgery, unfortunately that didn't fix it, so I had a second surgery(replacement). LM's IME Dr.(3rd DR. involved) said it wasn't related to the work injury, so the court battle ensued. If an injured person reading site takes anything from all these posts it should be (A) know your state law on workmans comp. (B) once you get seriously injured for UPS you have become useless to them and will be treated as such. (C) The union rules or contract and the company rules will not supersede the state laws. This statement also goes out to the ones that think w/c people get rich from this. If you think this, you need to educate yourself. Being seriously hurt(not returning to work) will cost you your health care benefits (mine cancelled after 1 yr), because workmans comp pay is non taxable (nothing added to your SS benefits), in my state you are stuck at the wage you were making when you got hurt ( some states offer COL adjustments, but not all) I would really like one of these people to tell me how they get rich. The people who are not really hurt figure out how expensive it is on them and what they are loosing and hurry back to work. But for some of us, that just isn't an option.

H

htown0721

hahaha Upstate gave me a negative rep and told me to google idiot, weird thing was I found an picture of a retarded cat on a porch. haha such an idiot.

Johney

There are a couple of other forums I visit and to change a quote is a common thing. People usually laugh about it. I don't know what the big deal is the original post is still there.

menotyou

bella amicizia
There are a couple of other forums I visit and to change a quote is a common thing. People usually laugh about it. I don't know what the big deal is the original post is still there.
The big deal is that I have done it to him a couple of times. He didn't say anything when Ovah did it. As far as laughing about it, you have to have a sense of humor not a sense of how can I embarrass/hurt/cut down/belittle/lie about.

Johney

The big deal is that I have done it to him a couple of times. He didn't say anything when Ovah did it. As far as laughing about it, you have to have a sense of humor not a sense of how can I embarrass/hurt/cut down/belittle/lie about.
I also got a bad rep for changing one of Upstates quotes before I knew. I apologized and changed it back. Some people are just too serious.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I also got a bad rep for changing one of Upstates quotes before I knew. I apologized and changed it back. Some people are just too serious.
Power. I think that bad rep'ing someone is just a power trip, one that you are on all alone. It's one thing if you pick on someone and intentionally make them feel bad, then ok. I can see that. But, when you are just messing around, poking someone and having harmless fun??? It's narcissistic to get upset over that.
Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder[SUP][1][/SUP] in which the individual is described as being excessively preoccupied with issues of personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity.

W

want to retire

I find it interesting when people who haven't been hurt at work feel the need to point fingers at those who were. If you use a 3/4 ton truck to pick up 500 2x4's everyday, it will probably last a while. If you use a fiat to do it, it won't. It's pretty simple in my case. And, while we are here, I didn't agitate anyone at work on purpose, until they agitated me. What happens in your center, or in the Bubble of Goodness is not the norm. Open your eyes. Am I the only one on here complaining of harassment or horrendous working conditions? No, and far from it. I am a 5'3" 120 lb girl who was doing a job meant for a gorilla. If I was so horrible, why to this day, does my on-car call me and ask when I am coming back to be his angel. I was one of #'ers angels. Agitator, my ass. Just because I stand up for myself.

OK. I wonder why the same people are always hurt. We have a guy that disappears for months at a time....sometimes this , that, neck, back......actually a couple of guys. But, they are high seniority and won't leave the Company and will probably stay forever.....sucking that high seniority tit.

AT 5'3" and 120lbs...........why did you become a UPS package driver? I've never seen you...but I doubt you are built like a gorilla. Who hired you? See, this job is very physical and best suited for men(physically)(gorillas). Yes, I know women do the job.......some of those are built like gorillas(not all)(some) and some are built like men(some)(not all). An analogy: look out over a football game........just don't see alot of 5'3" 120 people out there. It is a similar exercise meant for physically larger humans. Meaning of all this? Probably shouldn't be there in the first place. In 32 years at UPS, I have never had an OJI or lost time injury. Bragging? No, just careful and built like a gorilla.

Indecisi0n

AT 5'3" and 120lbs...........why did you become a UPS package driver? I've never seen you...but I doubt you are built like a gorilla. Who hired you? See, this job is very physical and best suited for men(physically)(gorillas). Yes, I know women do the job.......some of those are built like gorillas(not all)(some) and some are built like men(some)(not all). An analogy: look out over a football game........just don't see alot of 5'3" 120 people out there. It is a similar exercise meant for physically larger humans. Meaning of all this? Probably shouldn't be there in the first place. In 32 years at UPS, I have never had an OJI or lost time injury. Bragging? No, just careful and built like a gorilla.

From what I understand the game has changed a lot from what it use to be. Didn't overweights use to be 50lbs?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have had 5 women package car drivers in my center in the 23 years I have worked here. One left to work for another company where the schedule allowed her to spend more time with her family. Another was fired for using profanity in front of a customer. A 3rd is still technically employed but has been out of work due to an injury for so long that most have stopped asking about her. We had one that worked her entire 30+ years and retired--while not a gorilla she was not a princess by any means. The one remaining has also had medical issues and there is some uncertainty as to how long she will last. We do have a female feeder driver who will most certainly finish her career and retire in good standing. There is a female preloader who drives during Peak.

The job is a physical one but I don't agree that you have to be built like a gorilla to perform it. I am 6', 165 lbs.---certainly not the biggest guy around--- but I follow the safe work methods and for the most part have been injury free. My knees are starting to ache and I may have lost a step but I can still outperform any of the much younger casuals who cover my area.

menotyou

bella amicizia
OK. I wonder why the same people are always hurt. We have a guy that disappears for months at a time....sometimes this , that, neck, back......actually a couple of guys. But, they are high seniority and won't leave the Company and will probably stay forever.....sucking that high seniority tit.

I totally understand. And, pretty much agree. I said that once to the labor sup and BA after a grievance meeting. They said I was wrong. I don't think I am. This job is for a linebacker type/gorilla.

In my area, UPS was the best job to get at the time. I am single, so I want the best paying job I can have. I like my shoes. Now, with this injury, I wouldn't go back if I didn't have to. But, I have to. I have bills and they don't pay themselves. Not many, but still. The settlement they offer is a joke. So, they can shove it and pay me for a fair day's work.

W

want to retire

From what I understand the game has changed a lot from what it use to be. Didn't overweights use to be 50lbs?

And? Hey , 50 lbs. is alot! Even back when. I used to deliver an industrial area(nut and bolt route). It was usual to pickup 20(50 lb.) boxes....that's 1000 lbs.! Just one stop. I had 50 pick-ups......screw conveyors, a forge, several nut/bolt suppliers, welding supply........heavy stuff. By the way.......I inherited this route off of a woman......who was always out hurt....always........not with the company any more..........and this was back in the old days.......See?

Indecisi0n

And? Hey , 50 lbs. is alot! Even back when. I used to deliver an industrial area(nut and bolt route). It was usual to pickup 20(50 lb.) boxes....that's 1000 lbs.! Just one stop. I had 50 pick-ups......screw conveyors, a forge, several nut/bolt suppliers, welding supply........heavy stuff. By the way.......I inherited this route off of a woman......who was always out hurt....always........not with the company any more..........and this was back in the old days.......See?

149lbs is a lot different than 50lbs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes and customers would cheat when it was 50 and they continue to cheat now that it is 150. We had one the other day that weighed 162 lbs but since it made it all the way through the system it was put out for delivery and the driver was told about it before leaving the building.

W

want to retire

I totally understand. And, pretty much agree. I said that once to the labor sup and BA after a grievance meeting. They said I was wrong. I don't think I am. This job is for a linebacker type/gorilla.

In my area, UPS was the best job to get at the time. I am single, so I want the best paying job I can have. I like my shoes. Now, with this injury, I wouldn't go back if I didn't have to. But, I have to. I have bills and they don't pay themselves. Not many, but still. The settlement they offer is a joke. So, they can shove it and pay me for a fair day's work.

Me too. That's why I have stayed so long. I wish you luck.