Getting hurt at work.

Indecisi0n

Yes and customers would cheat when it was 50 and they continue to cheat now that it is 150. We had one the other day that weighed 162 lbs but since it made it all the way through the system it was put out for delivery and the driver was told about it before leaving the building.

Im OK with that. Ill text the center to left them know when I will need a second driver for help.

W

want to retire

We have had 5 women package car drivers in my center in the 23 years I have worked here. One left to work for another company where the schedule allowed her to spend more time with her family. Another was fired for using profanity in front of a customer. A 3rd is still technically employed but has been out of work due to an injury for so long that most have stopped asking about her. We had one that worked her entire 30+ years and retired--while not a gorilla she was not a princess by any means. The one remaining has also had medical issues and there is some uncertainty as to how long she will last. We do have a female feeder driver who will most certainly finish her career and retire in good standing. There is a female preloader who drives during Peak.

The job is a physical one but I don't agree that you have to be built like a gorilla to perform it. I am 6', 165 lbs.---certainly not the biggest guy around--- but I follow the safe work methods and for the most part have been injury free. My knees are starting to ache and I may have lost a step but I can still outperform any of the much younger casuals who cover my area.

I didn't say you HAD to be built like a gorilla......but it sure helps! I have wondered how the tiny women(short, thin) do the job. Sometimes, they don't and have alot of help on area. Something most guys never have. There are exceptions. While at 6' 165 is not the biggest.....you'd probably weigh more if you weren't running your ass off(literally).......6' is alot different than 5'3(and a girl). Any woman that can finish at UPS as a driver is exceptional(princess or not).

barnyard

KTM rider
The standards have been changing constantly. Average cube size for packages has been going up as have the weights, plus every efficiency improvement has meant added stops. On the average day, the route I am covering now, goes out with more stops than it did 5 years ago, during peak, with a helper.

UPS says that they need the increased productivity to compete with Fed Ex. I get that. If the company wants more productivity, then they also have to provide us with the most advanced tools to get that job done safely. Driving a package car without power steering, with today's production standard is borderline criminal. Of course accidents and injuries are going up.

Ugh

barnyard

KTM rider
We have a 32 year woman driver retiring in a couple of weeks. Never been injured. Grew up on a dairy farm. Pretty sure that in my center, as a group, the women are more accident and injury-free than the dudes.

packageguy

If someone got hurt at work and is getting denied medical help from UPS (MRI/xrays etc) will the union provide a lawyer to fight for him to get these test? If yes can you tell me where in the contract this is. I am asking for a good friend. Thank you.

What was the injury, back, hand, arm?

Nimnim

The Nim
We have a 32 year woman driver retiring in a couple of weeks. Never been injured. Grew up on a dairy farm. Pretty sure that in my center, as a group, the women are more accident and injury-free than the dudes.

I won't really dispute that but how many women do you have to men?
If there's 100 drivers, and 10 of them are women, 1 woman getting hurt means 10% of the female staff is injured. If there's 9 male drivers injured in the same situation that's 10% of the male staff being injured.