Getting into the IT Dept.

Misloaded21

I just got promoted to a PT Supervisor and am going to college for a 4 yr. degree in IT Management. Since I got my foot in the door with the Sup position, how hard would it be to get into IT after a few years as a Supervisor after I graduate?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I just got promoted to a PT Supervisor and am going to college for a 4 yr. degree in IT Management. Since I got my foot in the door with the Sup position, how hard would it be to get into IT after a few years as a Supervisor after I graduate?
I would concentrate on my degree and not let the friend/T Sup opportunity distract me.
If the opportunity is there when you get your degree, you'll have a better picture of yourself and UPS.

When you say IT, are you talking about TSG?

Misloaded21

Dunno what TSG is. I don't want to be a friend/T Sup on a sort if that is what you ment before. So what is TSG? I am not familiar with any of the UPS IT Dept. stuff.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Dunno what TSG is. I don't want to be a friend/T Sup on a sort if that is what you ment before. So what is TSG? I am not familiar with any of the UPS IT Dept. stuff.
TSG is the Technical Support Group - they maintain the technology deployed in UPS Operations. PCs, scanners, etc. TSG is loosely connected to UPS IT Group.

UPS IT group does consider applicants from within the company. They normally want experience in programming/coding with specific skill sets.

My original advise stands.

Misloaded21

Thanks Hoax. The TSG sounds like what I would be looking for. Hope it happens some day, I really enjoy working for UPS. But I'll take your advice.

I am assuming TSG might look within the company?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Thanks Hoax. The TSG sounds like what I would be looking for. Hope it happens some day, I really enjoy working for UPS. But I'll take your advice.

I am assuming TSG might look within the company?
Definitely.
As you get close (Senior year) talk with the District TSG Manager/Sup and let them know your intentions.

Big Babooba

I would concentrate on my degree and not let the friend/T Sup opportunity distract me.
If the opportunity is there when you get your degree, you'll have a better picture of yourself and UPS.

When you say IT, are you talking about TSG?
Very good advice Hoax. Work on that degree. As for your career, you might come across a better opportunity. You never know what the future will bring.

Bad Gas!

I always wish people well with life after brown...The longer you stay, the harder to get away.....So, good advise, get your degree and see the life after brown world at an early age..

nerrollus

If you're getting a degree, the get it and go to a different company. UPS's TSG department is a joke and the job sucks.