getting paid for my time

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
Heres the scenerio folks.

As I am a cover driver and my center no longer needs me to drive right now, I have been sent back to preload. I still drive air after the sort two or three days out of the week, but I am getting much less hours driving as I did last summer.

My building has more drivers than it has lockers, so I keep my uniform out in my car and go change in the parking lot when I am asked to drive anything.

Sometimes one of my managers will come by at around 730 or 8 am and let me know if they think they will need me to drive. (It's nice to have a heads up so I can punch out of preload early to make the walk all the way through the parking lot and get changed by 9 a.m.)

My question is this-
If I choose to punch out at say 840am to get changed (so as to give me a little more time to get changed and relax a bit) and I get to my center all browned up at 9 and the center managers and supervisors now say "hang tight, we may not have anything for you."- shouldn't i get paid for the time I would have missed in the preload (that 20 minutes up til 9). I clocked out early so i could get my clothes on and get my stops set up by 9 and now they are telling me they may not have any work for me.
also if i SHOULD be paid for that time, at which rate...preload rate or air rate?

New Englander

Heres the scenerio folks.

As I am a cover driver and my center no longer needs me to drive right now, I have been sent back to preload. I still drive air after the sort two or three days out of the week, but I am getting much less hours driving as I did last summer.

My building has more drivers than it has lockers, so I keep my uniform out in my car and go change in the parking lot when I am asked to drive anything.

Sometimes one of my managers will come by at around 730 or 8 am and let me know if they think they will need me to drive. (It's nice to have a heads up so I can punch out of preload early to make the walk all the way through the parking lot and get changed by 9 a.m.)

My question is this-
If I choose to punch out at say 840am to get changed (so as to give me a little more time to get changed and relax a bit) and I get to my center all browned up at 9 and the center managers and supervisors now say "hang tight, we may not have anything for you."- shouldn't i get paid for the time I would have missed in the preload (that 20 minutes up til 9). I clocked out early so i could get my clothes on and get my stops set up by 9 and now they are telling me they may not have any work for me.
also if i SHOULD be paid for that time, at which rate...preload rate or air rate?

Finish your shift first.

New Englander

so they can just eat their late airs then?

Your the one worried about not getting paid. We as drivers don't get paid to get dressed every morning.
If so I'd love to wear my civilian cloths into work. Punch in and get paid to put my browns on.

You can't tell me there's no way for you to bring a uniform in a back pack into work with you and leave it out of the way. Whats it take? 5? 10 minutes to get dressed in the bathroom?

This isn't meant to be snide but does come off that way a bit. Sorry.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I usd to wear my brown shorts to sort and carry my shirt with me in case they needed me. Why beat up your own clothes on their time. You can always order more browns if they get ruined.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
I usd to wear my brown shorts to sort and carry my shirt with me in case they needed me. Why beat up your own clothes on their time. You can always order more browns if they get ruined.

This is what I do EVERYDAY, even if I know I'm not going to work. Like Cement said, why ruin your clothes?
I probably don't have a long walk like you do, but just carry your shirt with you and put it on the drivers seat, that way when your done on P/L, you can just slap it on. I also take my backpack with me when I go in for P/L..No need to make a long winded trip to the parking lot. Plus, I'm still on the clock when I am putting my shirt on! :happy-very:

brownrodster

Yeah, like they said. Why don't you just bring all your stuff in with you ?

just wear brown shorts with a white t-shirt. When you need to drive just slap a brown shirt over top and bam you are ready to rock.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
hmm those are all really good ideas except my building is really anal about not wearing the uniform while working preload. they said if i want to i can wear the socks because i pay for those, but everything else is off limits.
thanks for the input everyone- you have all been more than helpful as usual!

New Englander

UPS is supposed to provide lockers for us. If your building does not have them I think you can get them to come to their senses on allowing you to wear your work shorts on the preload.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
they do, just not enough. thats ok. you guys answered my question. i'm just going to work preload as late as i can from now on before they ask me to drive or let me know they need a driver. if there are any lates it's not my problem- lack of planning on the part of management. its not my funeral.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
hmm those are all really good ideas except my building is really anal about not wearing the uniform while working preload. they said if i want to i can wear the socks because i pay for those, but everything else is off limits.
thanks for the input everyone- you have all been more than helpful as usual!
They can't have it both ways, if they aren't going to provide you with a locker then you have every right to wear your browns to and from work. The contract states very clearly that employees who are required to change into a uniform on the property shall be provided with a locker. Having to change out in your car in the parking lot is B.S. Just wear your browns to work and if they give you a hard time about it tell them you need a locker or you will file a grievance.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
From Article 5 of the National Master agreement....
"The Employer agrees to provide lockers for those employees who are required to change into a uniform or take a lunch period. All other employees will be provided a suitable area for keeping personal items and clothes...."
Since your management is unable to provide you with a locker, you cannot be required to change into a uniform. This means...that you have the contractual right to wear your browns to work instead of having to change out in your car.
Its in the contract, in black and white.