G'mornin' UPSer's. There's new news out there in regards to the Amazon Effect

KoennenTiger

You might not like to hear it but he's right.

About "record profits". They're NOT. I know people love to parrot this endlessly but for the US package division it isn't true. By the way, every year, good economy or not, a Teamster driver receives "RECORD COMPENSATION!" too.

"1% ownership class who do nothing at all but spend fiat fake money and hoover up all the productivity increases "

They also keep you employed, and maintain the structure you have the freedom to complain about. The Teamsters are the face of UPS and deliver to the customer every day. There's no denying the tremendous value that provides, however, in the past few decades, the Teamsters did NOT:

Set up new business outside the US
Start an airline
Take the company public
Introduce internet tracking of all packages online
Arrange for the purchase of various other businesses that have truly contributed to "record profits".

Without these things, you couldn't really negotiate over whether incoming drivers will make 34 or 40 dollars an hour.

Great but ups does all those things with the profits we make and then give "raises" to the top 1% ownership class every single year while simultaneously spouting off ridiculous crap about how they can't afford to continue paying us a middle class wage. It's baloney. Meanwhile the working conditions are so bad that even with our slightly above average wage (seriously the Frito lay delivery guy on my route makes $32 an hour, gets AC, doesn't work in the elements, and is treated better) that UPS can't even hire enough drivers to fill the positions we have now without any weekend delivery at all. They can't staff the part timers, they can't staff the full timers, so clearly the market is speaking. Give better working conditions/better pay to the workers and gasp the poor poor top 1% who own stock for a living will have to 'suffer' with a smaller dividend increase.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Give better working conditions/better pay to the workers and gasp the poor poor top 1% who own stock for a living will have to 'suffer' with a smaller dividend increase.

This year's Divi increase was almost 10%. That is NOT a smaller increase!

Heavy Package

Reduce the number of hours package car drivers are required to work;

By hiring more FT drivers on the road and stop over-dispatching where our customer's merchandise gets smashed to bits because everything is jammed in the car.

The "request" from drivers this contract was to not just hire more FT drivers, but to put them on the damn road, create new routes, and knock down the planned day to 9.5 MAX with drivers opting out if they want the OT.

DUH!!!!!

WHY DIDN'T DENNIS AND HOF GET THE MEMO? Now there is a virtual mutiny within the rank and file with a "No" vote on the contract a real possibility.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Ok, I'm totally confused.

So, what is it you guys actually want in this contract? Don't just say all hybrid jobs as FT regular drivers. That's no different than what we have and would create only about 1500 jobs over the 5-year contract.

Certainly it isn't over new hires getting $13 an hr. You lifers here could care less what Alisa who starts on Founder's Day 2018 will make.

Sooooo, what is it you guys really want? All you do is complain. I see no substance to back this anger.

Ok, I'm totally confused.

So, what is it you guys actually want in this contract? Don't just say all hybrid jobs as FT regular drivers. That's no different than what we have and would create only about 1500 jobs over the 5-year contract.

Certainly it isn't over new hires getting $13 an hr. You lifers here could care less what Alisa who starts on Founder's Day 2018 will make.

Sooooo, what is it you guys really want? All you do is complain. I see no substance to back this anger.
Would you like a 20% pay cut for doing the same job. I can't wait to hear your answer.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
By hiring more FT drivers on the road and stop over-dispatching where our customer's merchandise gets smashed to bits because everything is jammed in the car.

The "request" from drivers this contract was to not just hire more FT drivers, but to put them on the damn road, create new routes, and knock down the planned day to 9.5 MAX with drivers opting out if they want the OT.

DUH!!!!!

WHY DIDN'T DENNIS AND HOF GET THE MEMO? Now there is a virtual mutiny within the rank and file with a "No" vote on the contract a real possibility.
*looking around the BC room wondering if I'm the only guy not getting this*

******EVERYTHING****** of what you want is EXXXACTLY what was agreed on.

Less work load, less over dispatching, more drivers on road. Plus yearly raises.

You got all of that. Relax man, the 'Gang of 45' here has got you all worked up thinking you're not getting what you actually ARE getting!!!

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Would you like a 20% pay cut for doing the same job. I can't wait to hear your answer.
Yes, I would if it meant 8.6 hour days and an average of 44-hours a week yearly. I personally would take a 20% haircut to work a lot less. I know at least 70% of my coworkers would as well... 44 hours, weekends off, save our bodies and minds. Save our families... be home by 6:15pm every night. Yes.. we'd vote for a 20% pay cut. Hands down.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
We're dying to have the same stops & pay as our FedEx counter part.

Say you do 170 stops a day that takes 10.75hrs

How'd you feel walking in to hear you have 118 stops and give us a call if you think that's too much!?

Show me that dream world and I'm all for a $34.75 pay check in 2023!

Kman845

23DC39FD-DD24-446E-821B-EF03E75F2579.jpeg
I would love for this agreement to be honestly implemented with the utmost respect for both sides.

I would love the 22.4 jobs getting everything set up for our routes. Using them to get air back to the building and shuttling air and all full time employees start times move to 9:45am with nobody out after 8pm.

No more waiting for air. Only when acts of God come into play around Peak.

No full time employee starts after 9:45am and no Full Time employee works more than 47.99 hours a week. Instead of a 9.2 day (worked, not planned)... it's reduced to a 8.6 day as an average. Fair time allowances. No runners that do the route in 7.8 hours. In fact, a new bold UPS that actually frowns on the runners over the bid drivers.

This would create a UPS that would remain strong going into the future.

Mix in some of the old with the new. Shave that costly OT away by a few hours per driver and those that hate that idea could get a job at Shell after they get off work.

No deliveries to customers after 8pm like Nestle Water, USPS, FedEx, Amazon, Schwann's does.

If that takes $10k from you pay a year and $85,000 isn't enough. Chevron baby! Moonlight at Wegman's!

Yes, I would if it meant 8.6 hour days and an average of 44-hours a week yearly. I personally would take a 20% haircut to work a lot less. I know at least 70% of my coworkers would as well... 44 hours, weekends off, save our bodies and minds. Save our families... be home by 6:15pm every night. Yes.. we'd vote for a 20% pay cut. Hands down.
Start late and still get home late. That's a bigger issue than the amount of hours worked.

Lay the overtime on me. Some of the easiest stupid money I have ever made.

22.4 jobs deliver ground for $6 an hour less. Make a buck it some more they article 22.3 jobs and eliminate air drivers.
So who is getting a 20% cut in pay? $6 less in pay is only 15% less. But who is getting a CUT in pay?

The new drivers. Seriously. You want to do this job for $30 an hour???
The new drivers will get $34 an hour. almost a 300% raise. A 90,000+ a year pension. And raises on top of their pay. Plus, nobody knows what will REALLY happen until the ink dries.

I would rather see 1500 people making $34 than 1000 people making $40. 1 full timer = more than $40,000 in benes alone. A $6 cut in wages saves maybe $20-$25K in wages.

Current drivers who wanted some, but not excessive overtime. Company will now shift all the OT work it can to the no OT protections underclass.
If they cut OT for drivers they will pay more putting on more drivers. At least 40k a head.