G'mornin' UPSer's. There's new news out there in regards to the Amazon Effect

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I understand the 'Angry 45', they're PO'd about working 70 hours late last fall. Clocking out at 11pm. They want revenge. They want justice! So to them, they've hardwired their brain to "Strike, Strike, Strike"... and it's even accentuated with their consumption of grundles of Gayle Ales. I get where they're coming from.

It's eating them up to be anti-establishment for all the wrongs they've endured over their careers. Walking out is like Senior Skip Day at school. The ol' 'Ha! We showed you!'

The business world unfortunately doesn't work like that. You must now re-wire your brain to forgive, forget and move on.

Striking now compared to 1997 would be disaterous. You must push your harsh feelings aside and focus on what's good about this contract. The committee addressed every single most important issue from every local. You can't ask for anything more from your negotiators fighting for you. You all asked for it and the IBT went out and made it happen and now your upset! WTH!?!

Listen, I am sorry $65,000-$120,000 a year isn't cutting the mustard for you guys paying $2800 rent for a 1-bedroom apt in Manhattan. Yet, understand the rest of us outside of the Eastern seaboard or L.A. are living pretty damn good as worker bees at UPS.

You need $150,000 to survive. Become a UPS manager. They earn that. You want happiness & security as a UPS FT employee. Transfer... move to Queens and live like a King!
They pay for your knee pads or you just write them off on your taxes?

They will eliminate other part time jobs. Many of the part timers are making more in benefits than they make on payday.

First they will do everything they can to reduce the regular drivers overtime then they will eliminate PM air drivers, they will only be making a buck or two more than them. Then they will work the unload or sort, yeah they will be making more per hour than those guys. But you need to factor in pay, benefits, holidays and vacations.
I’m ok with them eliminating jobs they can’t get people to fill. I’m ok with no OT. But eliminating my ot will force more fill timers on the road. Besides I have a strong feeling I’ll have to bail many of them out. Therefore will need to go on the 9.5 list myself.

Full timers, in general, get much more in pay, twice the benefits, twice the hol vaca pay. And earn ft vacation weeks in half the time than pt ers.

I’m ok with them eliminating jobs they can’t get people to fill. I’m ok with no OT. But eliminating my ot will force more fill timers on the road. Besides I have a strong feeling I’ll have to bail many of them out. Therefore will need to go on the 9.5 list myself.

Full timers, in general, get much more in pay, twice the benefits, twice the hol vaca pay. And earn ft vacation weeks in half the time than pt ers.
And we work triple the hours...

Just yours
Slowly, but surely... The union said I have no restrictions on any job I wanted to work. I probably could ask to be borrowed by 2 of the previous buildings I’ve worked at. But with crabbing season starting soon, and I’m starting to do charters. Not enough time to work.

Slowly, but surely... The union said I have no restrictions on any job I wanted to work. I probably could ask to be borrowed by 2 the previous buildings I’ve worked at. But with crabbing season starting soon, and I’m starting to do charters. Not enough time to work.
Gotta make it while you can.

Over70irregs

I can understand the reasoning for the Union to create more full time jobs, like they stated it would provide much needed funding into their Pension and Health and Welfare plans. The trouble I see with these proposed 22.4 positions is that their hourly rate will be always 6 dollars less than the established route driver, does anybody seriously thinks that UPS will not take advantage of any loop hole in the contract to start replacing vacated driving positions into the less paying 22.4 classifications. This is the company that after the "97" strike that tried to eliminate the contract language for creating all those 22.3 inside positions stating that they were losing business and were not required to fulfill their agreement. It took a year in arbitration to finally force them to live up their word.

I have yet to see the entire package, this is not a one issue contract. Look at the whole contract and then decide, still a lot of unknowns to be answered. Can they get a vote out before 1 August, I can not see it happening. First of all you cannot vote on something you know nothing about, can they inform the total membership with that short of a time frame..not. I have no issue with extending the contract till the supplements are settled, we did it with the 2013 one even with the Master being passed by only 4,100 votes nationwide. I have a hope that the Committee is finally going to settle some of the injustice with these Supplements.

I am worried about the voting percentages with this upcoming contract. Sure 93 percent voted for the strike authorization but nobody apparently knows the percentage of those who were eligible to vote. It generally runs under 50 percent, that figure should cause some concern because of International Bylaw that requires a certain percentage to vote down a national contract. It has been posted on this site before but if less than 50 percent of the members vote on a particular contract, it would require two/thirds of those voted to reject it, over 50 percent it is a straight vote. Also do not make the mistake to claim it is all about these hybrid driving positions, really look seriously at our raises, are they that much more than the last contract. The biggest jump in my pay was from Trump passing a tax reform bill, the general wage increase is substandard plain and simple. The part time positions will still be at poverty level, the constant turn over will not change. That leaves what kind of increases will be happening to EVERYBODY's Pension and better Health and Welfare packages. As of now we have no concrete information, except the committee claims that they made major improvements with both.
I see nothing but stalling and foot dragging on the specifics and details of the new contract. The union is hoping for low voter turnout to force a contract. This electronic voting cutoff on Sunday eve is a sham also. I smell contract extension in the air. They are testing us to see if we fall for it. Two-tier wage is a sellout move. I remember hearing stories of people being Red-Circled back in 1982. Anyone have info on that contract carveout?

I see nothing but stalling and foot dragging on the specifics and details of the new contract. The union is hoping for low voter turnout to force a contract. This electronic voting cutoff on Sunday eve is a sham also. I smell contract extension in the air. They are testing us to see if we fall for it. Two-tier wage is a sellout move. I remember hearing stories of people being Red-Circled back in 1982. Anyone have info on that contract carveout?
Specifics will probably come out when they have the specifics. You know, when there is a tentative agreement.