go FT or stay TCD?

zero

FT package job about to come up but debating whether to stay part time cover driver. i can usually get 1 or 2 days off a week except for peak. have over 10 years in so far. opinions needed

Turdferguson

Just a turd
FT package job about to come up but debating whether to stay part time cover driver. i can usually get 1 or 2 days off a week except for peak. have over 10 years in so far. opinions needed
If you enjoy what you are doing stay there, but one thing to consider is your pension

Box Ox

Just depends on what you want and need in life. Family? House? Freedom?

I was a TCD while a part timer waiting for a shot at FT. Had to trade in some freedom to make the move but I was ready to boost my year round income and move on with life. So staying PT wasn't an option for me, even with the TCDing.

Faceplanted

Only reason to go full time is pension.

You will keep receiving the yearly raises and the pay difference isn't much between tcd and fulltime

Also, when I was tcd if I needed a day off I would say I was not available to drive on xx date and I will report to my part time location. I would come in and be sent home every time. Free days off all day!

We have 1 guy in my building who has been tcd for 10 years.

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
Hard to say. I would put as much as possible in 401k regardless. Some of them may not be around. See what the percent funded of your regional one is

Cool. I actually put 35 percent (max) into 401k and im on pace this year to max out as a part timer. Seems like the smart move right now

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Cool. I actually put 35 percent (max) into 401k and im on pace this year to max out as a part timer. Seems like the smart move right now

35% is the max for pre-tax contributions. You can contribute an additional 5-10% of post tax money. As a PTer who is here just for the benefits you are in a unique position to fully fund your 401k.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
How the hell are you maxing out your 401k. You would have to make over 50000 to hit the 18k threshold

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
How do you guys feel about new hires and pension? I mean do you think it will still be there?

nope

definitely contribute up to company match, but beyond that you might think more about maxing out an HSA or Roth IRA before contributing more to the 401k

an HSA functions just like an IRA, except you can pull money out for medical expenses tax-free; that'll either save your ass in a medial emergency, or provide for your "getting old" expenses when you retire

also for the HSA and IRA, you'll most likely have superior investment choices (vanguard) to whatever your 401k offers

nope

definitely contribute up to company match, but beyond that you might think more about maxing out an HSA or Roth IRA before contributing more to the 401k

an HSA functions just like an IRA, except you can pull money out for medical expenses tax-free; that'll either save your :censored2: in a medial emergency, or provide for your "getting old" expenses when you retire

also for the HSA and IRA, you'll most likely have superior investment choices (vanguard) to whatever your 401k offers
We have no company match, you should know that.