God, Religion, Wampeters, Foma & Granfalloons

P

pickup

To deduce that there is no overhead in the Catholic Church (or any major religious organization) is laughable.
I know they do great good but I would imagine their overhead is way beyond the United Way.

The Catholic Church is the only way to salvation. I believe in it with all my heart and anyone that gives any money to any other organization other than those of Catholic Chuch is wasting his money and possibly his salvation as well. There was a time that the Catholic Church used to be able to force people to join and donate and those were the good old days. Hopefully the good old days will come back again.

I don't want to hear any debate about it.

Pickup gets credit for starting this thread since he started the original thread down this wayward path. :devil3:

Last edited by a moderator:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Re: United Way Intimidation

The Catholic Church is the only way to salvation. I believe in it with all my heart and anyone that gives any money to any other organization other than those of Catholic Chuch is wasting his money and possibly his salvation as well. There was a time that the Catholic Church used to be able to force people to join and donate and those were the good old days. Hopefully the good old days will come back again.

I don't want to hear any debate about it.

Sorry. I did not mean to cross you.

moreluck

golden ticket member

Yep, best exercise program ever!! AND, in the end, you go to Heaven. Of course, none of your friends will be there unless they were Catholic too.

just interested

I, too, am Catholic and really don't appreciate the digs and sarcasm about my Holy Mother Church.

For those of you who love to cast stones at the Church, how about taking some time to actually learn what She teaches. You can find a searchable link to the Catechism of the Catholic Church at this link:

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

One of my favorite quotes from the late Archbishop Fulton Sheen, "There are not over a 100 people in the U.S. that hate the Catholic Church, there are millions however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church, which is, of course, quite a different thing."

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I, too, am Catholic and really don't appreciate the digs and sarcasm about my Holy Mother Church.

For those of you who love to cast stones at the Church, how about taking some time to actually learn what She teaches. You can find a searchable link to the Catechism of the Catholic Church at this link:

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

One of my favorite quotes from the late Archbishop Fulton Sheen, "There are not over a 100 people in the U.S. that hate the Catholic Church, there are millions however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church, which is, of course, quite a different thing."

Just curious:
Which of the posts do you consider to be "digs".

It might help others to be more sensitive and understanding if that was known.

moreluck

golden ticket member

Just, you have to believe God has a magnificent sense of humor. . . . . . . look at the platypus!

Jokes are not necessarily "digs". I went to Catholic school 'til 12th grade, and I haven't found any of the posts to be offensive. Remember, we make plans and God laughs!!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

I was raised catholic, as religious sects go it's not the worst one although it has some bad history (The Inquisition for instance). Like any religious belief system it has it's extremists and fundamentalists who seem intent on ruining it for everyone else :osama:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!

I too am a Catholic,and found nothing offensive.I give to the Church all the time!! However,,I loved the old joke..what did Jesus say to the Pope when He came to vist the Vatican ??? """I thought we were supposed to be poor ! "" LOL LOL LOL LOL

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am Catholic and when I was a kid we would sometimes go to the Latin mass. We all had to go to church until we were 16 and then it was our choice. We all stopped going when we turned 16 although I started going again when I got married.

over9five

Staff member

I think it should be the other way around. You should not indoctrinate young children to believe in magic. Wait until they're 16, and then let them decide for themselves.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think it should be the other way around. You should not indoctrinate young children to believe in magic. Wait until they're 16, and then let them decide for themselves.

There were 5 of us (all boys) and we all knew we had best not act up in church. This was back in the day when a good backhander was OK. Now if you look at your kids the wrong way you can get in trouble.

moreluck

golden ticket member

We saw it through and went to church every Sunday until the last child turned 18.....haven't been since except for an occasional funeral.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

I tend to agree. Additionally, prior to their decision, they should take objective courses in comparative theology where they can be exposed to a wide variety of belief systems on equal terms with athiesm also being discussed. Of course there is about a snowballs chance in hell of this ever happening, as most organized religions figured out long ago that indoctrinating the young was they key to the future. As the founder of the Jesuit order said: "Give me the child until he is seven and I will give you the man."

tieguy

Banned

I tend to agree. Additionally, prior to their decision, they should take objective courses in comparative theology where they can be exposed to a wide variety of belief systems on equal terms with athiesm also being discussed. Of course there is about a snowballs chance in hell of this ever happening, as most organized religions figured out long ago that indoctrinating the young was they key to the future. As the founder of the Jesuit order said: "Give me the child until he is seven and I will give you the man."

Todays world desperately needs more kids "indocrinated" into a protestant or catholic belief system.