Going back to part time because hr made a mistake

Max11bace

Was hired as a 22.4 back in October. For 2 weeks now, 9 of us, have been sent to preload and were told hr made a mistake and hired too many of us. We are going back to part time. Can they do this? I'm having trouble with the union not fighting for us. I do not know what my rights are and what to do and cannot get help from anyone

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Was hired as a 22.4 back in October. For 2 weeks now, 9 of us, have been sent to preload and were told hr made a mistake and hired too many of us. We are going back to part time. Can they do this? I'm having trouble with the union not fighting for us. I do not know what my rights are and what to do and cannot get help from anyone
lol ah yes , UPS mentality...let’s hire all these “full-time 22.4s” and lock there pay rate...
🧔✊

DriverNerd

The union won't back you? Seriously? Only thing you can do about it then is to file a grievance and make the union officially tell you no on the record.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Was hired as a 22.4 back in October. For 2 weeks now, 9 of us, have been sent to preload and were told hr made a mistake and hired too many of us. We are going back to part time. Can they do this?

Did you gain full-time seniority as a 22.4 ?

If you did.... it sounds like you might have been laid off (in which case) you bump back inside, or take the layoff.

I'm having trouble with the union not fighting for us. I do not know what my rights are and what to do and cannot get help from anyone

Have you even talked with your Steward or BA ?

It's kind of hard for the Union to fight for an issue, that they aren't aware of.

Staydryitsraining

Are you going back to a part time worker or are you really naive, dumb, ignorant and just being sent to the warehouse because there isnt any work for you to drive and your confused that because they said go back to the warehouse you think your not a 22.4?

Max11bace

Are you going back to a part time worker or are you really naive, dumb, ignorant and just being sent to the warehouse because there isnt any work for you to drive and your confused that because they said go back to the warehouse you think your not a 22.4?
Actually, their words were "reclassified back to part time" and "can no longer work the full 8 hours." I can understand of there is no work right now, I get it. I'm just shocked on the changing my title from article 22.4 to preload. Two other people have told me they were called to get their DOT ready so I'm wondering if I'm getting skipped. As far as my manager, he didn't even tell me what was going on. I asked him what was going on and he said it was a corporate decision. The center manager told me he'd disqualify me if I fought it.

Max11bace

If you did not make 30 working days they can probably do it.
Understood, I started driving in October and finished January. I was told by my manager that I passed 30 days, at the time. However, later found out it didn't count because it was during peak. So, I was afraid that could probably be the reason.

Max11bace

Yes we are trying to fight it. I'm wondering if this is happening to other centers since they are claiming it is a corporate decision. So the main union person that the grievances go to says the grievances won't win because they are within contract. All the stewards we met with to put the grievance together felt it was breaking certain sections of the contract.

Max11bace

Yes we are trying to fight it. I'm wondering if this is happening to other centers since they are claiming it is a corporate decision. So the main union person that the grievances go to says the grievances won't win because they are within contract. All the stewards we met with to put the grievance together felt it was breaking certain sections of the contract.

As a 22 4 you are a combination employee... That means UPS can use you how they see fit. There are details necessary to get the right answer What do you mean for 2 weeks??? Did you work in the building first or were you seasonal???? If it was 27ish you were seasonal 21ish you were 22 4 Did you qualify as a driver??? What is your pay rate??? Your position is meant to be primarily in the warehouse and only used as a driver when the volume is extremely heavy. UPS one was not using your position properly because they can abuse your guys lack of protection. You are paid less with no 9.5 protection and no 8 hour protection your ups uses you for the purpose of taking money and hrs away from senior employees that have earned it. You can spend a year Inside the hub and only be brought up on weekends and at random times. You are not considered a RPCD driver. If you are actually a qualified 22 4 and not seasonal you are considered Full time and can work multiple shifts. Your position was voted against buy the majority of teamsters but was overruled On a technicality. In the new contract for 2023 I am sure we will be voting again and If everybody was smart they would vote against
22 4 positions That position has no protection or limitations and screws over the rpcds which is why we voted against it in the 1st place. There is an abuse of power with that position because there can be. If they eliminate that position then then you are either a driver or not and you can be laid off and put back into the bldg but there is no confusion. Unfortunately all these new employees expect everything to be done for them And that the Union can magically get all this stuff done without our votes to help them.

Karma...

whenever you deal with hr and hr makes a commitment to you have a witness and get that commitment down on paper...hr is not your friend and works for the company not the union.....

OrionIsDaddy

File. File. File.

HR mistakes are the companies mistakes and they should have to eat it.

If they have too many 22.4 jobs that means they need to open up more RPCD jobs to keep the ratio. Their fault, not yours.

Union should back you 100%. If they don't, file NLRB charges

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Lol this whole thread
I desperately wish they would do proper layoffs here as opposed to buzzing everyone's phones to voluntarily take the day off. Vacations don't hit until next year anyways and it would give me the option to properly bump into part time shifts.

The issue is layoffs and workdays (which imply an 8 hour garuntee) have to be scheduled they day before in advance. But the division DGAF they will look at the total piece/stop count 4 hours before start time and demand that only X number of drivers can be used for the day.

Last edited: