Going back to preload after 10 years driving

fwwafwaf

I was wondering about going back to the preload and working sat. airs
Is this possible? What would my payrate go to for preload, i worked the preload for a few years then went into full time package car driver. Now circumstances have changed and am looking going back to preload sort and possibly doing saturday airs.

UPSGUY72

I was wondering about going back to the preload and working sat. airs
Is this possible? What would my payrate go to for preload, i worked the preload for a few years then went into full time package car driver. Now circumstances have changed and am looking going back to preload sort and possibly doing saturday airs.

It most places it isn't possible. It my building however it is possible because we have a 8 hr preload shift that are 22.3 jobs.

If it was possible your pay rate would be the same as the person still working the preload who never went FT and got hired when you did.

fwwafwaf

thank you.
I'm still considered a "cover driver". We haven't hired any new drivers in sometime and the older drivers arent retiring anytime.
Im in Northeast (PA) hub..

I would need to bid on a 22.3 job and wouldn't be able togo back working say 20hrs a week sorting packages , correct and my pay rate would still be increasing at the preload even though i'm working as a driver, so 15 years would put my pay rate at 18-20hr i'm guessing, is this all correct?

UPSGUY72

thank you.
I'm still considered a "cover driver". We haven't hired any new drivers in sometime and the older drivers arent retiring anytime.
Im in Northeast (PA) hub..

I would need to bid on a 22.3 job and wouldn't be able togo back working say 20hrs a week sorting packages , correct and my pay rate would still be increasing at the preload even though i'm working as a driver, so 15 years would put my pay rate at 18-20hr i'm guessing, is this all correct?

You need to talk to your steward and HR rep to see if it is possible in your building. In mine it is because we have a FT preload shift they work from 11pm till they are done around btween 8-9am. Also 22.3 jobs are 8 hr jobs not PT jobs bidding a 22.3 job isn't going top get you a PT gig.

I'm would have to bet that you can't go back to a PT preload shift after 10 years as a driver. If you could you would see a lot of old timers on the preload working for almost $30 hr loading cars for 4 hrs a day instead of doing 22.3 jobs for 8 hrs a day.

BCFan

As a cover driver you my friend are still a part time employee. As such you can Opt out of cover driving (in my opinion the worst job ever) and return to your regular part time job. As for your pay rate I defer to any more knowledgable poster. Good luck with your pending change. B. C.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would think he would be able to go back to the preload and that the next person in line would take his place. I don't know what the rate of pay would be.

UPSGUY72

As a cover driver you my friend are still a part time employee. As such you can Opt out of cover driving (in my opinion the worst job ever) and return to your regular part time job. As for your pay rate I defer to any more knowledgable poster. Good luck with your pending change. B. C.

Not entirely true in all areas. In my area cover drivers are FT drivers guaranteed 8 hours a day they just don't have a bid route (they cover other drivers routes when they are out or do splits).

I understand that in some places there are Pt cover driver that work the preload or local sort when they are not driving. But I don't believe fall into that category.

rocket man

another lost SOUL over 10 years on the job and he has to ask to on this site another person from a one man hub since you work by yourself i think there will be no problem in that transfer go get it .

rocket man

I would think he would be able to go back to the preload and that the next person in line would take his place. I don't know what the rate of pay would be.
you qutoe the contract and you know everyone now you have the nerve to say you think? are all your contacts on vacation?

UPSGUY72

After 10 years a a FT cover driver ??????? As I said if that was the case you would see drivers with 30 years of driving experience bidding back to work the preload or local sort for 4 hours a day making $30 hr.

I know I would work 20 hr a week and make $600 a week instead of doing 22.3 job where you have to work 40hr and make a little under $900.

Johney

Are you a swing driver(friend/t seniority but don't have a rte) or a cover driver (p/t seniority)? What is your rate of pay now? If you are making $30+ you are friend/t and can't(at least here) go back to p/t.