Going from full-time back to part-time?

texas1951

DFW Teamster
I am a full-time combo (22-3) since June 2000. I have health issues which necessitate considering going back to part-time. Has anyone out there pulled this off without resigning and rehiring. Your advice and insight would be appreciated!

Texas 1951

drewed

Shankman
I am a full-time combo (22-3) since June 2000. I have health issues which necessitate considering going back to part-time. Has anyone out there pulled this off without resigning and rehiring. Your advice and insight would be appreciated!

Texas 1951

I believe you can do it on a temporary basis (like 6 months) i dont know about a permanent basis

J

JonFrum

You may be able to stay full-time and work reduced hours if you qualify under the Americans With Disabilities Act, or the Family And Medical Leave Act, or if you take a Leave of Absence. Start by reading Articles 14 and 16 of the Contract. Also visit these websites . . .
http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/
http://www.ada.gov

texas1951

DFW Teamster
I am a diabetic and recovering from multiple bypasses in 2003. I have a cluster of chronic issues I cannot fully recover from including one inoperable bicep tear which was a result of work at UPS. I will pursue the advice I've gotten... I was hoping someone out there had gone from full-time work back to part-time work so I could demonstrate some sort of company precedent. I know, for example, UPS does allow full-time managers/supervisors to go back to part-time status.

J

JonFrum

Texas,
Look before you leap. Part-time employees make (a lot) less per hour, have (a lot) less seniority, and work (very) hard. You may also loose some H&W and pension coverage.

The ADA seems to apply to you so UPS must come up with reasonable accomodations, including reduced hours.

The FMLA seems to apply so you can take up to 12 weeks off per year any way you need to: by the hour, the day, the week, whatever. (Part-timers only get six weeks, after three years.)

Workers Comp may also apply if the torn bicep gives you trouble.

Also, check your state laws, and your Contract Supplement.

SmithBarney

Texas,
Look before you leap. Part-time employees make (a lot) less per hour, have (a lot) less seniority, and work (very) hard. You may also loose some H&W and pension coverage.

The ADA seems to apply to you so UPS must come up with reasonable accomodations, including reduced hours.

The FMLA seems to apply so you can take up to 12 weeks off per year any way you need to: by the hour, the day, the week, whatever. (Part-timers only get six weeks, after three years.)

Workers Comp may also apply if the torn bicep gives you trouble.

Also, check your state laws, and your Contract Supplement.

I'm pretty sure he puts his health above is pay rate.

Great advice above though... good luck

J

JonFrum

I'm pretty sure he puts his health above is pay rate.

Great advice above though... good luck

My point was that by using ADA, FMLA, Workman's Comp, Leave of Absence, Vacation Weeks, Sick Days, Optional (Personal) Holidays, Legal Holidays, State Laws (if any), Supplement language (if any), Voluntary Layoffs, and even 8-hour requests, he could work part-time hours and keep full-time status, which is important for pay, benefits, and seniority.

His Supplement may not even let him switch to part-time without quiting and being rehired as a New Hire. I don't know.

retired2000

we did have a female go from full-time to part- ime. she may have even kept her pay at the full-time rate. she did retire fromthe company also.

Overpaid Union Thug

I wish people could go back to part-time in my area. We have a couple of drivers that claim they'd do it in a heart beat. I could move up the seniority list a little faster. I would have went full-time faster too. The only people I've ever seen go back to part-time (sort of) drivers that failed DOT exams and went back inside but only worked hours only. 22.3 workers will work hours only too. Other than that nobody has ever went back to part-time here.

SmithBarney

I wish people could go back to part-time in my area. We have a couple of drivers that claim they'd do it in a heart beat. I could move up the seniority list a little faster. I would have went full-time faster too. The only people I've ever seen go back to part-time (sort of) drivers that failed DOT exams and went back inside but only worked hours only. 22.3 workers will work hours only too. Other than that nobody has ever went back to part-time here.

Ah ha, so failing the DOT physical is the ticket... ;)

sano

From the link: The report concludes: "Given the unsafe work environment, the poor treatment by management and the lack of opportunities for full-time employment, it is no surprise that the turnover rate among UPS workers is so high."

Actually, the reason turnover is high is because we pay the same as Wendy's does for a job with bad hours and heavy lifting.
If I was not looking to be a driver in the future, there is no way I would preload for 9:50 per hour.

buttere

Rather than do a study and survey, that guy should have just gotten a part time job at UPS himself, he would soon see why everyone quits.