Going fulltime in the hub will make me lose out in the long run?

PalletDockShifter

I was offered fulltime at my hub to become a loader/loader. This puts me in a weird position. I am at this moment part time and planned on going into feeders this year. I understand if I go into feeders while part time I will start as a cover driver making 85% of topout pay. However, if I jump on this opportunity to go fulltime loader/loader, and still go to feeders later this year, will I miss out on the chance to be a cover driver starting at 85% of topout? If I'm already fulltime loader/loader before moving to feeders wouldnt I be forced to start feeders as a fulltimer and have to go through the lengthy 4 year progression? Wouldnt staying part-time before feeders help me 'skip' progression?

I hope my question makes sense. This puts me in a weird position because if I turn down load/load, and then later this year when I move to feeders IF they disqualify me, I'm going to regret not taking fulltime load/load. On the flipside if I stay part time I would make more money quicker by going into feeders as a cover driver. Is this correct?

Last edited:

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
My supplement has no part-time feeders but I spoke with another driver at a railyard and he was a part-time driver at 85%. Are you sure you can be part-time in your feeder department?

If you don't have any bidding restrictions I would take inside and then go into feeders. At least that way you are full-time.

Box Ox

No idea what the answer to your question is. But if you’ve got a chance to go full time under the current contract, you might wanna go ahead and do it.

gorilla75jdw

Take the full time combo , use your full time seniority to take feeder job , either way you will have to go thru progression (just once) .

Daf

My opinion is you should not worry about getting 85% pay for the next three months. I would take Whatever full time opportunity first to get the full time seniority date in place. That is what matters most in the long run. I don’t see any way that you would skip progression.

Nimnim

The Nim
You have to go through progression one way or another. Either as a 22.3 or as a FT Feeder. I don't know your area or supplement as you've not said what area you're in so we can't check the language. You might have a higher wage going cover then feeder FT, but at least in my area in the southern supplement, local practices could be different, you as a pt cover in feeders would be passed over by any FT, either package or 22.3, that wanted to go into an available feeder position.

PalletDockShifter

It was my understanding thar if i start as a cover driver in feeders i start at 85% of topout. Then if and when the company decides to make me fulltime feeders (assuming i was feeder cover at this point) i would get to carry over my 85% rate until my 4 year progression period is over. So no i wouldnt skip progression but i could potentially be losing out on a higher pay for 4 years if i go fulltime before cover.

I might be wrong but it seems like to maximize my earnings i should try to go cover driver first. I think theyre about to call me for cover driver anyway. Puts me in a weird spot. Ill still tell HR im interested in the loader/loader and just hope feeders comes before they finish the hiring process.

Btw im in the southern region as well.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I was offered fulltime at my hub to become a loader/loader. This puts me in a weird position. I am at this moment part time and planned on going into feeders this year. I understand if I go into feeders while part time I will start as a cover driver making 85% of topout pay. However, if I jump on this opportunity to go fulltime loader/loader, and still go to feeders later this year, will I miss out on the chance to be a cover driver starting at 85% of topout? If I'm already fulltime loader/loader before moving to feeders wouldnt I be forced to start feeders as a fulltimer and have to go through the lengthy 4 year progression? Wouldnt staying part-time before feeders help me 'skip' progression?

I hope my question makes sense. This puts me in a weird position because if I turn down load/load, and then later this year when I move to feeders IF they disqualify me, I'm going to regret not taking fulltime load/load. On the flipside if I stay part time I would make more money quicker by going into feeders as a cover driver. Is this correct?
What are the hours on that job?

El Correcto

god is dead
It was my understanding thar if i start as a cover driver in feeders i start at 85% of topout. Then if and when the company decides to make me fulltime feeders (assuming i was feeder cover at this point) i would get to carry over my 85% rate until my 4 year progression period is over. So no i wouldnt skip progression but i could potentially be losing out on a higher pay for 4 years if i go fulltime before cover.

I might be wrong but it seems like to maximize my earnings i should try to go cover driver first. I think theyre about to call me for cover driver anyway. Puts me in a weird spot. Ill still tell HR im interested in the loader/loader and just hope feeders comes before they finish the hiring process.

Btw im in the southern region as well.
You are planning on going into feeders, that doesn’t mean you will get that feeder job. It’s a pretty sought after position. Take the sure thing and go full time would be my move in your position. Worry about possibilities later and stick to the sure thing.

gorilla75jdw

My opinion is you should not worry about getting 85% pay for the next three months. I would take Whatever full time opportunity first to get the full time seniority date in place. That is what matters most in the long run. I don’t see any way that you would skip progression.
There is no way to skip progression

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Here in NorCal, the bids into feeder go through all full-timer bidders first before a part timer even has a shot. The full time progression begins once you start full time. Only one full time progression is required.

Also, here, a cover feeder postion is an actual full time feeder position that also keeps their last bid, say package, inside, etc...If you've already run a full time progression, you'll be at 100% rate even as a cover feeder driver. Say there are 100 feeder runs, with 100 feeder bid drivers. They'll have (guessing)15-25 cover feeder drivers that when not covering do their normal position, package car driver, etc... Once per year, the 125 feeder drivers then bid on those 100 runs by seniority. The ones that don't get a run are cover. We have had numerous higher seniority feeder drivers decide to go cover and then they can have a package route as well.

Not sure if that's how it works in your supplement, but just giving you an idea of how it works here.

Like most others have said here before, if your overall goal is full time, I'd grab the first full time position that presents itself and get that full time progression started.

brown_trousers

There is no way to skip progression
I believe he is referring to red-circling his wage. If he goes PT feeder at 85% top rate, his wage would be around $31/hr. Then when he bids into a FT job, he gets red circled at his current pay rate of $31 until the wage progression catches up to his $31/hr

He wouldnt be skipping all of the FT progression, but he would skip a good majority of it