Going PT to FT? Read this (insurance-related)

PPH_over_9000

So I've been driving for over a year now, been using my BlueCross BlueShield Teamcare insurance the whole time. Apparently, though, when you switch from PT to FT you're supposed to switch over to a different insurance. From what I learned today, it used to be HR's responsibility to get that information out to new FTers. As we all know, however, HR is pretty much nonexistent within our company now, and it looks like I was one of many that may've fallen through that crack.

So to any PTers switching over to FT or any that've already made the switch but still have the same insurance cards, speak with your stewards and try to get in touch with your union hall about enrolling in the insurance plan for FTers. Taking the initiative early on may help you prevent any future headaches later on down the road.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
So I've been driving for over a year now, been using my BlueCross BlueShield Teamcare insurance the whole time. Apparently, though, when you switch from PT to FT you're supposed to switch over to a different insurance. From what I learned today, it used to be HR's responsibility to get that information out to new FTers. As we all know, however, HR is pretty much nonexistent within our company now, and it looks like I was one of many that may've fallen through that crack.

So to any PTers switching over to FT or any that've already made the switch but still have the same insurance cards, speak with your stewards and try to get in touch with your union hall about enrolling in the insurance plan for FTers. Taking the initiative early on may help you prevent any future headaches later on down the road.
I don’t think so man. PT’ers have the same insurance as FT’ers. I’m still using my original cards.

PPH_over_9000

I don’t think so man. PT’ers have the same insurance as FT’ers. I’m still using my original cards.

Yeah? I'm in the Atlantic Area, don't really want to post my local but I can via PM if anyone's interested.

I don't want to post too many details, but at the very least my local operates differently. PTers and FTers have different insurance providers and I've been running around using outdated insurance for over a year. The issue just came to light a few days ago and I had to make a trip to my local union hall to get it sorted out. As I was there, I overheard my BA speaking with the president about how they need to find out how many other PTers that went FT are in the same boat.

That's awesome that it's not the case everywhere, though. I thought it was the dumbest :censored2: when I found out.

Yeet

Yeah? I'm in the Atlantic Area, don't really want to post my local but I can via PM if anyone's interested.

I don't want to post too many details, but at the very least my local operates differently. PTers and FTers have different insurance providers and I've been running around using outdated insurance for over a year. The issue just came to light a few days ago and I had to make a trip to my local union hall to get it sorted out.

That's awesome that it's not the case everywhere, though. I thought it was the dumbest * when I found out.
Yeah that’s a new one on me. Southeastern.

PPH_over_9000

Yeah that’s a new one on me. Southeastern.

Hopefully I'm in, like... the one pocket of the IBT that works that way. When I went to make this post it didn't even occur to me that every region does things differently, even though I know that pretty well by now.

welp.... still, just a friendly heads-up to anyone making the jump. This post may not hold true for everybody, but it would be in every employees' benefit to find out before they ever need to use their insurance.

For what it's worth, I've used my PT cards several times since I became FT and not a single medical provider ever said my insurance was bad. It seems like it was still working per usual, but I just feel like I would've had a rude awakening one day if I didn't follow the advice of my steward and reach out to my BA. I'll edit the OP to reflect what you've told me, Yeet, thanks.

**Well shoot, I don't seem to be able to edit the OP. I would if I could, though.

Yeet

Hopefully I'm in, like... the one pocket of the IBT that works that way. When I went to make this post it didn't even occur to me that every region does things differently, even though I know that pretty well by now.

welp.... still, just a friendly heads-up to anyone making the jump. This post may not hold true for everybody, but it would be in every employees' benefit to find out before they ever need to use their insurance.

For what it's worth, I've used my PT cards several times since I became FT and not a single medical provider ever said my insurance was bad. It seems like it was still working per usual, but I just feel like I would've had a rude awakening one day if I didn't follow the advice of my steward and reach out to my BA. I'll edit the OP to reflect what you've told me, Yeet, thanks.

**Well shoot, I don't seem to be able to edit the OP. I would if I could, though.
You probably said this already but I’m lazy. What happened that made you realize something was off?

PPH_over_9000

Part of my recent bout with heat exhaustion included a few appointments that I was told workman's comp wouldn't cover. The doctor said if that was the case and I used my personal insurance, they would have to lie when she submitted the bill by saying it was not a work-related injury/illness. Just to smooth the process, I paid out-of-pocket.

A few days ago I was speaking with a steward and he asked me why I was doing that, why I didn't use [different insurance company.] I was straight up confused because I didn't know what he was talking about, so I pulled out my cards to show him my Teamcare insurance cards and he had this EUREKA! moment where he realized I had never switched over to the FT insurance provider when I became a driver.

There's a lot nobody tells you when you make the switch. I get that it's on me to figure this stuff out, but this kind of thing would've never even struck me as a possibility.

Yeet

Part of my recent bout with heat exhaustion included a few appointments that I was told workman's comp wouldn't cover. The doctor said if that was the case and I used my personal insurance, they would have to lie when she submitted the bill by saying it was not a work-related injury/illness. Just to smooth the process, I paid out-of-pocket.

A few days ago I was speaking with a steward and he asked me why I was doing that, why I didn't use [different insurance company.] I was straight up confused because I didn't know what he was talking about, so I pulled out my cards to show him my Teamcare insurance cards and he had this EUREKA! moment where he realized I had never switched over to the FT insurance provider when I became a driver.

There's a lot nobody tells you when you make the switch. I get that it's on me to figure this stuff out, but this kind of thing would've never even struck me as a possibility.
Interesting. Guess I’ll be talking to someone tomorrow to make sure this isn’t my situation as well. Thank you for sharing your experience.

PPH_over_9000

Man, I'm a UPSer. I'm here to help.

lol, you're welcome, man. I've had a hell of a ride these past few weeks and I just don't want anyone to fall through the same cracks that I seem to have fallen through.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Man, I'm a UPSer. I'm here to help.

lol, you're welcome, man. I've had a hell of a ride these past few weeks and I just don't want anyone to fall through the same cracks that I seem to have fallen through.
Speaking of cracks.....
1629767155998.png

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

I don't want to post too many details, but at the very least my local operates differently. PTers and FTers have different insurance providers and I've been running around using outdated insurance for over a year. The issue just came to light a few days ago and I had to make a trip to my local union hall to get it sorted out. As I was there, I overheard my BA speaking with the president about how they need to find out how many other PTers that went FT are in the same boat.

That's awesome that it's not the case everywhere, though. I thought it was the dumbest * when I found out.
What local big guy?