Good bye and good riddance to DIAD IV

QKRSTKR

We've had them for a little while now. Buttons are a little small. Signature key still gets hit by consignee. Scanner good, processor slow. Also on diad IV you had to hit the cycle key to move the bar up to pre-record, on diad V it is on the left side but on the touch screen portion, so if you accidentally hit it while doing a bulk stop with air after commit, late air. It also will read a lot of other barcodes as well, so you think you scanned 1z, but didn't. Grainger boxes do that a lot to me. It is lighter which I like a lot. That I think is the best feature.

When the shop put on new holders in truck, there is a space for daid V and IV. They had mine farther away. They are interchangable.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The D4 and D5 slots are simple to switch around in the holder, you just have to push a couple of tabs in to remove and replace them.

upsman68

You will like it. I think the buttons are kind of small. The best part is the laser to scan the packages. It is also very fast. Have fun

OptimusPrime

Great board except for the small buttons. It doesn't look very tough but it stands up great to the job. The scan you get from the board is phenomenal. It's so light that you don't even know you are carring it. I would stick to the old diad pouch though the men ones suck in my opinion. Oh yes it's got a nice flashlight and the keys light up very nice non that you are going to need it for a while.

Is it really that bad? I mean the buttons? Got big hands(you know what they say about that) but can still manage a Blackberry style keyboard on my phone. But I guess I don't text at a work pace. Sounds like it might be a nightmare in the winter.

Is it really that bad? I mean the buttons? Got big hands(you know what they say about that) but can still manage a Blackberry style keyboard on my phone. But I guess I don't text at a work pace. Sounds like it might be a nightmare in the winter.
I've got big hands big feet and big pee pee. See other thread

upsgrunt

I have when my diad went down , thank goodness I only had 4 stops left , besides that ups doesn't provide us with paper no more

If that ever happens again, just cut off the labels and scan with a good diad when you get back to the building.

HomeDelivery

those DIAD V look like our old scanners (we're getting new ones already, starting last month)
---------------------
are you guys allowed to carry a spare battery? sometimes i get a bad battery & i'll have to pop-in my backup one

some batteries are missing that foam spacer & i wedge a folded doortag notice on one side while pushing it into the scanner to keep it "tight"

------------------

also, you have that removable stylus on the back of it as well? i seem to lose it sometimes & i have a backup stylus that looks like a regular pen

------------------

does that laser work OK while trying to scan in broad daylight? ours are iffy with that (but not the new ones we're getting)

-------------------

i didn't like the carrier that they gave us with the velcro belt loop; I sewed it shut & i just run my belt around it so it won't ever come off my side

-----------------------

i'll go post up our new scanners at the fedex section

CFLBrown

Diad V is faster scanning multiple packages in a stop.

Diad IV worked better during peak for doing multiple stops quickly. I had a hard time putting the diad away after I reached the required stops. Eventually I put the IV in the back of the truck to get me to stop using it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Day One impressions....

The new scanner is waaaay better than the one on the DIAD IV once you get used to the different angle. I made it thru the entire day without having to manually enter a barcode; on my old DIAD IV I was probably having to manually enter 10% of the packages in my car because their labels were chewed up or otherwise unreadable. I am still stuggling to get used to the laser being a "bullseye" instead of a horizontal line. I like being able to scan labels regardless of their orientation.

There will no longer be an issue with customers pressing the signature key with their thumbs while signing. Yay!! On the flip side, the stylus is tiny and the little cord that keeps it connected sort of gets in the way when the customer tries to sign. I might wind up removing the stylus from the DIAD completely and keeping in my shirt pocket instead of making the customer fumble with it.

The keys are small and a bit confusing. I know that I will get used to them in time. There are numerous icons and functions that I have no clue about, and it was a challenge for me to transition between real keys and touch-screen keys during a delivery. I did not like the additional scan and little arrow up/down keys on either side of the DIAD; I kept pressing them by mistake. They are merely duplicates of keys that are already on the front and I found them to be of no real use or benefit. Sending text messages took me longer because of the small size of the keys, but I will improve with practice and I wont wind up typing gibberish due to forgetting to toggle between letters and numbers with that stupid "shift" key that was on the IV.

I liked being able to stick it in my back pocket. I dont care for belt clips or holsters, and never wore one when I had a IV. The small size of the V makes them unnecessary. I had a real problem figuring out what to do with it once I got back in the car; I have heard there is a new holder for the V that will replace the DIAD III/IV holders that are currently installed, but my car doesnt have one. When I stuck it in the DIAD IV holder, it jiggled around so much on bumpy roads that the scan key would continually get pressed against the inside of the holder. I had one delivery (immediately after a pickup) where the scan key had gotten pressed so many times that it took over 2 minutes for it to quit scanning and let me get back into EDD. My Telematics report for tomorrow will show that I had several hundred "recording in travel" occurences today. Oh well. I finally solved the problem by keeping it in my cup holder.

It "crashed" 4 times today, requiring me to restart it. There is a little indented restart key on the bottom that you can press by using the stylus or the tip of a pen, it has the same function as pressing "A K X" did on the DIAD IV. My sup said it may have been a loose battery, and that they will fix or replace it tonight.

Overall, I give it a B+. Its a huge improvement over DIAD IV.

jalnar

And when I.E. is finished we all will have an extra 15 stops due to the increase in efficentancy. Any time the company spends money on technology we have to do more work to pay for it. Just think the drivers who have had their routes for more then 10 years how many more stops they are doing for a NORMAL DISPATCH. I hope i am wrong but I dont think so. Remember 1 stop at a time .This is a marathon not a race

HomeDelivery

those DIAD V look like our old scanners (we're getting new ones already, starting last month)
---------------------
are you guys allowed to carry a spare battery? sometimes i get a bad battery & i'll have to pop-in my backup one

some batteries are missing that foam spacer & i wedge a folded doortag notice on one side while pushing it into the scanner to keep it "tight"

------------------

also, you have that removable stylus on the back of it as well? i seem to lose it sometimes & i have a backup stylus that looks like a regular pen

------------------

does that laser work OK while trying to scan in broad daylight? ours are iffy with that (but not the new ones we're getting)

-------------------

i didn't like the carrier that they gave us with the velcro belt loop; I sewed it shut & i just run my belt around it so it won't ever come off my side

-----------------------

i'll go post up our new scanners at the fedex section

my bad; i thought u guys were basing your scanners on this:

Bigs-As-Seen2BrownDIAD.jpg

but someone in my thread says you guys got the motorolla ones???

http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f50/new-motorolla-scanners-344420/

LTFedExer said:
Yes.....Ground and Express use the same ones and UPS started using them as well.​

which one is it?!?​

Bigs-As-Seen2BrownDIAD.jpg

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Day two on the new diad. My fingers are way too big for the alpha buttons. Signature clarification is a pain in the butt. Is there a touch screen function on this new toy to clarify autographs?