Good o'reliable fedex

drewed

Shankman
Police: FedEx Delivers 200 Lbs of Pot to Wrong Address
Last Edited: Saturday, 05 Jul 2008, 4:45 PM EDT Created: Saturday, 05 Jul 2008, 4:45 PM EDT
BALTIMORE (AP) -- FedEx prides itself on reliability. But the shipping company can be thankful for a recent botched delivery.
Someone in Florida used FedEx to ship 600 pounds of marijuana to Baltimore. But when part of the shipment was delivered to the wrong address, city police set up a sting operation that led to an arrest.
Police tell The (Baltimore) Sun that they were tipped off on Tuesday when four boxes containing 200 pounds of marijuana were mistakenly delivered to a northeast Baltimore resident. The resident opened one of the boxes and discovered the shrink-wrapped weed.
The next day, city officers and state troopers posed as FedEx employees and arrested the intended recipient, 30-year-old Richard Gwatidzo. A search of two addresses connected to him yielded eight more packages containing about 400 pounds of marijuana.
Police say the drug sells on the street for about $1,200 a pound.
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Correct me if I am wrong but the story starts out saying 600 lbs,then later in the story it says 4 boxes at 200 lbs each.Doesn't that equal 800 lbs.Also isn't the maximum weight per box allowed 150 lbs.I think the reporter didn't check their facts.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Correct me if I am wrong but the story starts out saying 600 lbs,then later in the story it says 4 boxes at 200 lbs each.Doesn't that equal 800 lbs.Also isn't the maximum weight per box allowed 150 lbs.I think the reporter didn't check their facts.

You are right on the first part but wrong on the second. The weight limit for a Fed Ex ground pkg is 200 lbs.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The difference in the weights is because part of the shipment was delivered to the wrong house. I have seen several such shipments go through us over the years. On one of them, the pot was just shrink-wrapped and was going down the belt on the Preload. We could smell it, it was high grade Columbian weed. My OCS at the time was an ex-police officer, somebody gave it to him.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
What troubles me in this story is that police posed as FedEx drivers. What if some drug dealer in the future thinks that a driver is a cop? Puts drivers in a bad situation.

Randy

I have been told that the cops pose as UPS,fedex,DHL and USPS including driving vehicles.

barnyard

KTM rider
I have been told that the cops pose as UPS,fedex,DHL and USPS including driving vehicles.

I our area, we deliver the goods while the Popo is on stakeout. They arrest the perps when they retrieve the package (in the case of DR) or after they sign for it and take possession.

Taking possession is the most important part. It sounds like a case close to my delivery area is going to be tossed because we delivered a box of pot, but arrested the recipient before he actually took possession of the box. It was DRed on the porch. He said, "What, that's not mine."

TB

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What troubles me in this story is that police posed as FedEx drivers. What if some drug dealer in the future thinks that a driver is a cop? Puts drivers in a bad situation.

Randy

Yes it does, and the cops do it a lot. A few years ago management wanted me to deliver a known drug package and then have the cops swoop-in to make the arrest. I refused, and was told I HAD to do it. When I still refused, they had to relent and go with another plan. Do you think they care if it puts the driver in a bad position? We've had them pose as customer service agents at the front counter and also as drivers. I've even taped-up pkgs full of pot or cocaine just because I didn't want to have any issues with the recipient. I don't approve of drugs, but I also don't want to be Mr.Morality and put my ass in harms way. In the famous words of Nancy Reagan, "Just Say No!!" (to management).