Goodbye Preload, hello OMS!

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
today was my last day in preload, starting work in OMS at 1600 on Monday

i won't miss waking up 2 hours before start to scan packages
i won't miss the cardboard dust that irritates my skin and blocks my nose
i won't miss having 4 bosses demand completely separate things of me
i won't miss the crushing flow of packages
i won't miss the groggy feeling that comes from having to be up and making decisions when my brain wants me to be asleep
i won't miss having to go home early from nights out with my friends because i'm the old man falling asleep at 8PM

what i will miss though, are my employees and to a smaller extent my co-workers and the drivers i've known for 2.5 years now

i will miss leading, organizing, and managing people, probably one of the few things i can honestly say i was born to do

now on to my glorious career of angry customers and overwhelmed drivers!
:wink2:

curiousbrain

I had been following some of the threads you started; was wondering what was up with it.

A heartfelt congratulations, sir; and good luck wherever the road takes you.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Good luck, Tears. I enjoy reading your posts. I hope your new experiences create as many enjoyable ones as preload has.:wink2: OMS at my building is texting your boyfriend for 3 straight hours, then hiding in the diad room arguing for another hour or two!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
today was my last day in preload, starting work in OMS at 1600 on Monday

i won't miss waking up 2 hours before start to scan packages
i won't miss the cardboard dust that irritates my skin and blocks my nose
i won't miss having 4 bosses demand completely separate things of me
i won't miss the crushing flow of packages
i won't miss the groggy feeling that comes from having to be up and making decisions when my brain wants me to be asleep
i won't miss having to go home early from nights out with my friends because i'm the old man falling asleep at 8PM

what i will miss though, are my employees and to a smaller extent my co-workers and the drivers i've known for 2.5 years now

i will miss leading, organizing, and managing people, probably one of the few things i can honestly say i was born to do

now on to my glorious career of angry customers and overwhelmed drivers!
:wink2:

lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tears, good luck in your new position. Keep in mind that your drivers can be your best asset or worst liability, depending upon how you work with them. Do not send every ODS out response required. Do not ask them to call the center for something that can wait until they are back in the building. Don't be afraid to ask them for help if you need it. Work with them and they will work with you--work against them and you will dread coming to work each day.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Tears, good luck in your new position. Keep in mind that your drivers can be your best asset or worst liability, depending upon how you work with them. Do not send every ODS out response required. Do not ask them to call the center for something that can wait until they are back in the building. Don't be afraid to ask them for help if you need it. Work with them and they will work with you--work against them and you will dread coming to work each day.

Are these direct orders or can he think about it, since he is your boss now?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
first day on the job

holy crap it's easy, basically just a bunch of computer stuff, a mix of customer service, and driver issues

and my perfect work environment to boot, accountability but no supervision :happy2:

Nimnim

The Nim
first day on the job

holy crap it's easy, basically just a bunch of computer stuff, a mix of customer service, and driver issues

and my perfect work environment to boot, accountability but no supervision :happy2:

Well here's hoping the first day wasn't just a fluke. Good luck.

menotyou

bella amicizia
It's funny you mentioned that. One of our OMS' thinks that she is our boss. I like to remind her that I report to my on-car, PDS and center manager, not to her. The OMS is not my supervisor.

The teacher in Syracuse disagrees with this statement as I said it in a meeting once.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I agree wholeheartedly. Our morning OMS is on her cellphone 5 hours out of her 5.5 hour shift. She is the ultimate joke. Rumour is she is the center manager's and DM's toy. She dresses in these skirts Paris Hilton wouldn't wear to a bar. She has been counseled by HR more times that I have been upstairs, and I was a steward. :surprised:

badpal

I agree wholeheartedly. Our morning OMS is on her cellphone 5 hours out of her 5.5 hour shift. She is the ultimate joke. Rumour is she is the center manager's and DM's toy. She dresses in these skirts Paris Hilton wouldn't wear to a bar. She has been counseled by HR more times that I have been upstairs, and I was a steward. :surprised:
What she being counseled about her poor job performance?

upsman68

It's funny you mentioned that. One of our OMS' thinks that she is our boss. I like to remind her that I report to my on-car, PDS and center manager, not to her. The OMS is not my supervisor.

My on-car tried to tell me that our OMS clerks are our bosses. I also hate when I come in an hear them say "my driver this and my driver that"