Gossip at UPS - Got any?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I was reminded of Brown Cafe when I read the below from my "Workplace definitions" calendar.

gossip
- Information of a scandalous nature, with questionable sources and veracity, that everyone takes as the 100 percent truth; a major currency of the workplace and a great way to pass the time. Common topics include workplace romances and affairs, skeletons in other workers’ closets, behavior that required the legal department’s involvement, and material that smacks of urban myth.

kingOFchester

:peaceful:
I was reminded of Brown Cafe when I read the below from my "Workplace definitions" calendar.

gossip - Information of a scandalous nature, with questionable sources and veracity, that everyone takes as the 100 percent truth; a major currency of the workplace and a great way to pass the time. Common topics include workplace romances and affairs, skeletons in other workers’ closets, behavior that required the legal department’s involvement, and material that smacks of urban myth.

"Its about the customers, not the numbers.":peaceful:

A

anonymous6

i heard they are cutting management positions 20 percent by 2011.( from my guy in Atlanta )

over9five

Staff member
Updated definition for UPS:

gossip - Information of a scandalous nature, with questionable sources and veracity, spread like wildfire courtesy of FNN (Feeder News Network) that everyone takes as the 100 percent truth; a major currency of the workplace and a great way to pass the time. Common topics include workplace romances and affairs, skeletons in other workers’ closets, behavior that required the legal department’s involvement, and material that smacks of urban myth.

P

pickup

okay, I got some gossip. All of this is based on second hand info but that is the nature of gossip. Apparently in a center(Not mine , thank god) somewhere in the great state of new jersey, there is a feeder driver that was an off the street peak hire that came in about about a year and 1/2 ago. During his time there during peak, he proved himself to be incompetent, slow, and nosy. He also made it a point to tell management who he saw slacking off in the railyards, etc. Anyway peak came and went and so did he but six months later he was hired on fulltime and made his book (made his 30 days probation) to the astonishment of every feeder driver in this center.
He now is a bonafide member of the teamsters and attends each meeting faithfully and everytime there are two feeder drivers muttering in to each other , he tries to stick himself into the conversation. There is speculation that he continues to report to management the information that he learns in the trenches. Speculation is rampant that that is the only reason he is kept around as any simple task given to him is any thing but simple.

The guy can't back well( this I have seen first hand) He walks around the yard staring at the other trucks.(I've seen this man with spectacles walking around with seemingly no destination in mind staring at trucks like he has never seen them before. ) It is so incredible that this man was hired. Does any feeder in new jersey know about this man and what his connection to management is? i withheld the name of the hub , but anyone who is from this hub should know about whom I am speaking

I had to drop by the center yesterday and while I was there I picked up a couple of tidbits. But I have to be real careful, can't tell too much of it ( I don't wanna get STUGGED)
A full time Sup quit.
A driver was terminated
A mechanic was terminated
All happened last week

Hey Hoax, does that handy little work place dictionary have the word "Integrity" in it?

tieguy

Banned
okay, I got some gossip. All of this is based on second hand info but that is the nature of gossip. Apparently in a center(Not mine , thank god) somewhere in the great state of new jersey, there is a feeder driver that was an off the street peak hire that came in about about a year and 1/2 ago. During his time there during peak, he proved himself to be incompetent, slow, and nosy. He also made it a point to tell management who he saw slacking off in the railyards, etc. Anyway peak came and went and so did he but six months later he was hired on fulltime and made his book (made his 30 days probation) to the astonishment of every feeder driver in this center.
He now is a bonafide member of the teamsters and attends each meeting faithfully and everytime there are two feeder drivers muttering in to each other , he tries to stick himself into the conversation. There is speculation that he continues to report to management the information that he learns in the trenches. Speculation is rampant that that is the only reason he is kept around as any simple task given to him is any thing but simple.

The guy can't back well( this I have seen first hand) He walks around the yard staring at the other trucks.(I've seen this man with spectacles walking around with seemingly no destination in mind staring at trucks like he has never seen them before. ) It is so incredible that this man was hired. Does any feeder in new jersey know about this man and what his connection to management is? i withheld the name of the hub , but anyone who is from this hub should know about whom I am speaking

sounds like Mr. Magoo

Magoo's Surprise Party

P

pickup

Updated definition for UPS:

gossip - Information of a scandalous nature, with questionable sources and veracity, spread like wildfire courtesy of FNN (Feeder News Network) that everyone takes as the 100 percent truth; a major currency of the workplace and a great way to pass the time. Common topics include workplace romances and affairs, skeletons in other workers’ closets, behavior that required the legal department’s involvement, and material that smacks of urban myth.

FNN is sort of the pony express of transmitting news , but instead of the information being delivered via letters , it is delivered orally. Information can make its way from lenexa kansas to maine via the drivers that travel from one hub to another and then pass the baton of info to the hub residents who then pass it to the driver that is going east to the next hub where the process is repeated. It is like the game of telephone where the final information often has no resemblance to the original story. This is addition to the info being filtered through the prism of each feeder's driver biases and hence some info gets embellished , some falls to the wayside, and speculation becomes part of the official story for the next driver.

There is often times a golden nugget of truth in the story by the time it makes its way to maine but it takes a wise man to know how to separate the crap that has been added to it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
There is often times a golden nugget of truth in the story by the time it makes its way to maine but it takes a wise man to know how to separate the crap that has been added to it.
Sounds just like gossip!:happy-very: