Got a call this morning, starting Tuesday

The Driver

I drive.
Well, after agonizing over whether I'd be called back for seasonal or for a permanent position, it looks like my center decided they wanted me as a full-time off the street hire for package car driving. It feels like a dream come true right now. Hard to believe that's it all worked out up to this point.

Does something not sound right about this scenario? I've only worked one season. I guess I'm in shock.

Acc0rd

Happy for you, though the rest of us wait years to drive, that's cool you got a job easy. I don't know how the other drivers who waited the years will feel about you though till you earn your stripes out there.

Good luck!

The Driver

I drive.
Happy for you, though the rest of us wait years to drive, that's cool you got a job easy. I don't know how the other drivers who waited the years will feel about you though till you earn your stripes out there.

Good luck!

I like to think that the fact that I worked my butt off last peak helped my chances. Still, to get this opportunity seems bizarre.

The Driver

I drive.
Calls right now could be for summer cover driving, not necessarily a FT gig.

That definitely crossed my mind. I asked specifically about whether they were interested in me driving seasonally or permanently and the HR person didn't mince words, flat out telling me that my center manager requested me to be permanent.

Also, don't summer seasonal drivers start on Memorial Day and run through Labor Day? If I'm starting Tuesday wouldn't that seem to lend more credence to the notion that I'm a permanent driving candidate?

Either way, I'm popping some champagne tonight. Cheers!

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
It happens. I have to go back and cover pick ups for a 2 week new off the street hire this afternoon.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? The OP isn't asking about getting help or making statements about his work...he's just wanted to know if getting hired after seasonal driving was a normal occurrence.
Well, after agonizing over whether I'd be called back for seasonal or for a permanent position, it looks like my center decided they wanted me as a full-time off the street hire for package car driving. It feels like a dream come true right now. Hard to believe that's it all worked out up to this point.
Does something not sound right about this scenario? I've only worked one season. I guess I'm in shock.

To the OP, congrats and good luck during qual. The mgmt must have seen something worthwhile in you so feel good knowing that you got the call!

30yearstolife

That definitely crossed my mind. I asked specifically about whether they were interested in me driving seasonally or permanently and the HR person didn't mince words, flat out telling me that my center manager requested me to be permanent.

Also, don't summer seasonal drivers start on Memorial Day and run through Labor Day? If I'm starting Tuesday wouldn't that seem to lend more credence to the notion that I'm a permanent driving candidate?

Either way, I'm popping some champagne tonight. Cheers!

Our temp drivers start May 1st. They are calling back a ton of them around here. I hope they are not stringing you along to get you to work your but off to make the 30 day probational period with no intention of keeping you! (They would never do that....ya, right) If that is their intention, to use you, there is little to no chance that you could make seniority no matter how great a driver you are. I have seen this happen so many times I can not even count the occurrences.

I am hoping this is not the case for you, but you should be forewarned that they string new drivers along like this in the vast majority of cases around here. On the positive side they are actually hiring some new drivers permanently for the first time in 4 years around here. The timing of your call back is just a bit suspect.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

oldngray

nowhere special
Our temp drivers start May 1st. They are calling back a ton of them around here. I hope they are not stringing you along to get you to work your but off to make the 30 day probational period with no intention of keeping you! (They would never do that....ya, right) If that is their intention, to use you, there is little to no chance that you could make seniority no matter how great a driver you are. I have seen this happen so many times I can not even count the occurrences.

I am hoping this is not the case for you, but you should be forewarned that they string new drivers along like this in the vast majority of cases around here. On the positive side they are actually hiring some new drivers permanently for the first time in 4 years around here. The timing of your call back is just a bit suspect.

Good luck!

May 1 is a big day for starting new drivers here too because its the start of free period. They can work them all summer without them gaining seniority. Work them in Sept if they want to keep them.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Doing great!!! I start my last week of physical therapy and I get around without a cane. Should be back at the package factory sometime in mid June. How is your knee doing?
That good, too bad you couldn't have planned it so you'd be out for the summer. My knee feels pretty good actually...through the miracle of doing nothing..lol. Had an mri, torn menicus...I'll eventually need surgery but I'll put that off for as long as I can.

oldngray

nowhere special
That good, too bad you couldn't have planned it so you'd be out for the summer. My knee feels pretty good actually...through the miracle of doing nothing..lol. Had an mri, torn menicus...I'll eventually need surgery but I'll put that off for as long as I can.

Have you been spending too much time on your knees at work?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I originally planned it that way but the knee had other plans. Don't feel bad because after I go back in June, I took July off.