Got a problem with violence in the workplace (by mgmnt) that's not getting addressed?

C

chuchu

For way too many years a senior management person has gotten away with screaming, throwing things, beating on our vehicles with their fist to get us to "get out of the building" and finally allegedly assulted another management sup (by the sups own testimony). The union BA talked alot about filing labor charges against the company (over 50% of the centers grvnces were on this person) but never seemed to find the backbone to get it done. Losing our members grievance documentation and empty words was all we could seem to precipitate from all the union "effort" we got. Finally, after the management person lunged in a couple of employees faces during a discussion we got all the testimonies together and had a talk with the city prosecutor about the chronic violence in the center. That evidently helped us more than all the 800 phone calls (keep the refer. numbers from those calls for evidence and call from a pay phone or at LEAST someone elses phone besides yours or another UPS employee!) because we had ties from all over the state come in to talk with us. Don't be afraid to go out of the UPS "kingdom" to fix unprofessional behavior if your local mgmnt team won't stop it. "The law is for the lawless". Stand up for yourself even when the union doesn't come through because right is RIGHT every day. Even if you don't see it immediately you'll see change if you don't give up.

Returntosender

Re: Got a problem with violence in the workplace (by mgmnt) that's not getting addres

The ties don't want this crap out in publc/media. There are to many trails for the company to deny they did not know, in the public eye. Its an embrassment for them. Destroy the company image you destroy the company. In the ups world this is big. Shows a possibe cover up by upper management at division and district level. Tell your co worker get disposable phones and call the hot line number that way.

Scuderia

Re: Got a problem with violence in the workplace (by mgmnt) that's not getting addres

If you ever have to defend yourself, remember that the law states that you should only use as much force as necessary to stop the attack. Not more, or else you won't be able to use the "self defense" defense. So for example, if you punch him once and knock him out, leave it at that. Don't jump on top of him and start throwing hammer punches.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

If you ever have to defend yourself, remember that the law states that you should only use as much force as necessary to stop the attack. Not more, or else you won't be able to use the "self defense" defense. So for example, if you punch him once and knock him out, leave it at that. Don't jump on top of him and start throwing hammer punches.
Rally up some solid technique and situation control, it only takes about four distinct movements and two seconds to disable someone. :)

UnconTROLLed

perfection

For way too many years a senior management person has gotten away with screaming, throwing things, beating on our vehicles with their fist to get us to "get out of the building" and finally allegedly assulted another management sup (by the sups own testimony). The union BA talked alot about filing labor charges against the company (over 50% of the centers grvnces were on this person) but never seemed to find the backbone to get it done. Losing our members grievance documentation and empty words was all we could seem to precipitate from all the union "effort" we got. Finally, after the management person lunged in a couple of employees faces during a discussion we got all the testimonies together and had a talk with the city prosecutor about the chronic violence in the center. That evidently helped us more than all the 800 phone calls (keep the refer. numbers from those calls for evidence and call from a pay phone or at LEAST someone elses phone besides yours or another UPS employee!) because we had ties from all over the state come in to talk with us. Don't be afraid to go out of the UPS "kingdom" to fix unprofessional behavior if your local mgmnt team won't stop it. "The law is for the lawless". Stand up for yourself even when the union doesn't come through because right is RIGHT every day. Even if you don't see it immediately you'll see change if you don't give up.

So which district did this mgmt person get transferred to and how many accolades were recieved for the behaviour ? ;p

menotyou

bella amicizia

My district, if he's bipolar.

Indecisi0n

Ummm Cellular Camera phone's, end of story.

robot

Has A Large Member

If you beat one of your supe's asses off the clock and off property can you get fired for it?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you beat one of your supe's asses off the clock and off property can you get fired for it?

I don't know--why don't you do it and let us know how it works out for you?

Oh, and be sure to tell us if he kicks your ass.:happy2:

Just kidding---yes, you would be fired.

I`ve heard of it happening. Sup gets mouthy. Sup hits ground. Witnesses say he slipped. Ooopsy.

I have a few on my list that I better not run into once the retirement checks start coming.

robot

Has A Large Member

Haha! I was just wondering. I'm not confrontational but Ive wanted to strangle a few of my supes on occasion.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?

I would asssume when you are in jail UPS would fire you for not showing up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Haha! I was just wondering. I'm not confrontational but Ive wanted to strangle a few of my supes on occasion.

I do have a few customers whom I would love to have a chat with upon retiring.

rod

Retired 22 years

Years ago I saw my brother-in-law (who is also a retired UPS 30 year package driver) and our center manager get into a knock down drag out at a local saloon. center manager got the worst of it. Nothing was ever said at work and the center manager didn't put a target on his back (probably because the center manager threw the first punch and there were too many witnesses). center manager was a notorious drunk and was going through a divorce. Eventually he was "let go" by the company. The fight was over a female UPS driver they were both hussling. Brother-in-law eventually married her -------------------------so he lost the fight in the long run.

Jim Kemp

I don't know--why don't you do it and let us know how it works out for you?

Oh, and be sure to tell us if he kicks your ass.:happy2:
We had a driver beat up a supervisor and the sup got fired. It was off the the property and off the clock. The thing that got the sup fired was that he tried to start it on co. property and when the driver wouldn't take the bait the sup followed the driver down the road to a gas station where he got his ass beat. The next day he was gone.

Just kidding---yes, you would be fired.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center manager posts the accident/injury data within our district on a daily basis. Yesterday there was a Tier 3 accident (pedestrian) and 6 injuries. What is alarming is that 3 of the injuries were reported as assualt/violence and that all 3 were in Massachusetts. I assume that these occured in the hub and not on road---does anyone from this area have any information on these injuries?

S

splozi

There are a couple of irreg drivers at my center that I wouldn't mind knocking out. Or, you know, if they die in a fire... that would be awesome too.

Omega man

Rally up some solid technique and situation control, it only takes about four distinct movements and two seconds to disable someone. :)

It is much more lasting to just beat them up with their numbers every day.