Got fired

flyersfan

I got fired last night. Taken into office shown a picture I posted on facebook of me working. I got terminated. union steward says its not looking good. I been there many years as a loader. I want my job back but doesnt look good. I had the pic private so not sure how it got to anyone It was nothing bad in the pic just a picture of workflow I was getting. Anything I can do. Called teamsters and I get directed to a line no one answers. got business agent lie and they dont answer either

I see this all the time on facebook,a few yrs ago a driver put a comment on facebook regarding her supervisor,she was called into the office the next morning & got a verbal warning,that's it.Many of the drivers take pictures of their trucks of how it's loaded,how many stops/pick ups they had etc.As far as I know,nothing ever is said to them about their comments on facebook.I guess it depends on the supervisor or what you might post.But I thought after she got warned about it,she'd never do it again,apparently not.Some of these drivers posts really mock UPS,some supervisors had accts on facebook.I know I'd never do it.You should have got a warning 1st of all.The union should be able to get your job back,that's what you pay union dues for.Nothing is ever private anymore in today's world of technology,there's always someone watching you.If I was a supervisor & I saw something that I didn't like about someone's comment or picture,I'd take them aside & just tell them,watch what you are saying on here.I wish ya luck!

flyersfan

Sorry, that sucks. To the OP, we are not allowed to take pics inside the facility..as a loader for many years, you should know this. I'm guilty of the same offense as you, but I'd never post ups pics on the internet anywhere with my real name attached. This thread is a prime example of why many of us, myself included, are adamant about protecting our identities on BC. Hopefully, being truthful and apologetic will get you your job back.

What about pictures taken outside the bldg?A few months ago someone took a picture of the maint.mech.trying to repair a broken overhead door,we were all wondering what happened to it.Heard a driver knocked it down then kept on going,not really sure what exactly really happened till this day.Anyway,drivers sometimes take pictures with their phone inside the bldg with their phone showing their truck is so overloaded,nothing is ever said to them that I know of.I guess it depends what hub you work at & who your supervisor is.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
What about pictures taken outside the bldg?A few months ago someone took a picture of the maint.mech.trying to repair a broken overhead door,we were all wondering what happened to it.Heard a driver knocked it down then kept on going,not really sure what exactly really happened till this day.Anyway,drivers sometimes take pictures with their phone inside the bldg with their phone showing their truck is so overloaded,nothing is ever said to them that I know of.I guess it depends what hub you work at & who your supervisor is.
I'll admit, I don't know the "official" ups policy on cameras and taking pictures.
To the OP...your username was originally different right? It said a different name created this thread yesterday...and I remember you because not too many loaders even know what "salts" are anymore...lol. I vaguely remember you posted something a lil while back about sups riding you about misloads...you got written up or something like that, and you expressed concerns about possibly being fired over it. So, the fact that you were fired over a fb picture..was the this possibility just giving management a good reason to get rid of you? Not trying to be a jerk...just if you're gonna post your story and ask for advice....maybe give the whole picture. Because working here for years...you should know...if they really want to get rid of you, they'll find a way.

Last edited:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I agree.I don't give a damn about losing a job....i'll find another one.Jobs come and go.However,if I'm going to get fired,it wont be over some BS.
I disagree. I give a damn about keeping my job. I'm not a model employee, I need to learn to shut my mouth more, but I do my job well and take some pride in myself. I've been here too long to go work at Walmart for 9 bucks an hour. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Coca Cola Delivery Man87

I disagree. I give a damn about keeping my job. I'm not a model employee, I need to learn to shut my mouth more, but I do my job well and take some pride in myself. I've been here too long to go work at Walmart for 9 bucks an hour. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I understand your point of view.
I just observe reality.Reality is that "job security" is an illusion.ANYONE can lose a job.
I don't give a damn about losing my job,because I have a plan in place in the event that I do lose my job.I don't want to get fired/lose a job,but im not sitting and stressing out over it.

Notcool

I know how ups got the pic. an envious fellow employee i was told this by many people. but i should have been more careful and not have given anybody any reason to get me canned. my own steward said he has no doubt i got set up but he said its not looking good. said ups could have lost customers. i was a great employee. nightly i have the highest pph. all the part time sups wanted me on their belt. sort manager said he wished he had pds full with me. they cant get new hires to last a week. i loved my job. good pay and benefits. its just real depressing. i am paranoid to share my story in case ups is reading this too i want my job back id never post anything about ups again if did thats for sure

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I know how ups got the pic. an envious fellow employee i was told this by many people. but i should have been more careful and not have given anybody any reason to get me canned. my own steward said he has no doubt i got set up but he said its not looking good. said ups could have lost customers. i was a great employee. nightly i have the highest pph. all the part time sups wanted me on their belt. sort manager said he wished he had pds full with me. they cant get new hires to last a week. i loved my job. good pay and benefits. its just real depressing. i am paranoid to share my story in case ups is reading this too i want my job back id never post anything about ups again if did thats for sure
If everything you are saying is true and you aren't leaving anything out, you will get your job back, discharge reduced to suspension, time served at your local level hearing.
Tell them what you're telling us, and you'll be fine.

Overpaid Union Thug

I got fired last night. Taken into office shown a picture I posted on facebook of me working. I got terminated. union steward says its not looking good. I been there many years as a loader. I want my job back but doesnt look good. I had the pic private so not sure how it got to anyone It was nothing bad in the pic just a picture of workflow I was getting. Anything I can do. Called teamsters and I get directed to a line no one answers. got business agent lie and they dont answer either

What was the context of the photo? Was it just a random photo or were you complaining about working conditions and used a picture to illustrate? If so you might be protected under the NLRB.

http://www.nooga.com/159578/the-national-labor-relations-board-and-employers-social-media-policies

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Well what is the official ups policy on pictures? Is it considered a cardinal sin? It's not like you got set up stealing something...

Overpaid Union Thug

Well what is the official ups policy on pictures? Is it considered a cardinal sin? It's not like you got set up stealing something...

It's definitely not a cardinal sin in The Southern Region. Assuming his post wasn't protected by the NLRB (as I suggested it could be) his firing was still unjust wether he violated a policy or not. He will get his job back. And if he has the cojones he can get back pay as well.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I took pictures on the job on almost a nightly basis on my phone. Showed them to management mostly. Not a word was said. Usually it was concerning company bidness, however. Damage to a trailer that I didn't want to get blamed for, maybe a package that was missed by unload in a supposedly empty trailer. Sounds like the company was looking for a reason to terminate/make an example of someone. Selective enforcement sounds like to me. They do that a lot.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

My building has a sign at the employee entrance that says "photography, videography and audio recording is prohibited on company property." That said, management encourages us to take photos of our start times. I know plenty of PTers who've posted photos of themselves at work on FB and videos describing the job on Youtube... all in positive light... and no action's been taken against them. That said... it only takes one penishead manager to say 'huh? all those times I told you to take a photo of your start time... I really meant write it down, but on company paper or with a company pen, and you knew such. You're fired." so I don't bother...

I do know of a PTer who was being harassed for misloads that were part of an add/cut... he kept the papers that listed the add/cuts he endured on a daily basis to prove that it was dang near impossible for him to pull 100+ a day in a timely fashion... he got fired for stealing company property but he did get his job back.