Got Helper?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Just wondering how many drivers already have helpers. I got one early this year and have worked him a week already. My center is running 3 helpers right now including mine and is planning 60 helpers by christmas. This center usually has 52 routes in on Tuesdays during the regular year. Should be interesting. They're giving me about 25 to 30 stops more than usual right now and only allowing me like 2.5 helper hours a day. Im obviously giving him 3-4 hours per day now to make it even worth getting dressed.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I have 1 helper, 1 pod helper, and 1 golf cart trailer helper. I don't know what the pod or golf cart helpers look or sound like as they are management's responsibility.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Just wondering how many drivers already have helpers. I got one early this year and have worked him a week already. My center is running 3 helpers right now including mine and is planning 60 helpers by christmas. This center usually has 52 routes in on Tuesdays during the regular year. Should be interesting. They're giving me about 25 to 30 stops more than usual right now and only allowing me like 2.5 helper hours a day. Im obviously giving him 3-4 hours per day now to make it even worth getting dressed.
I heard drivers say the same thing here....only letting them use the helpers for 2 or 3 hours a day. And they wonder why people quit?

AndUPSER

First day I was used as a helper I only worked 2 hours. Since then I've been getting 5 which is pretty good. 42 hours total this week and only helped 3 days.

myUPS

Is there someone here who worked as a seasonal driver helper for the Tumwater, WA area for the holidays? could you please tell me what is it like to work in that area? is it busy? did you work everyday? how many hours? when did your day usually start? etc...

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I had a hinder...err...helper twice this week and they told me not to work them more than a few hours. I gave em' 6 hours since I have no idea what "a few" means and the helpers gave me a bunch of OT. Seems to have been a good trade-off.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I'm a helper and I haven't been called once yet. I've been employed for 3 Weeks :/
Well you're most definitely an employee however, you have not been employed. What a waste of everyone's time to string a person along like that..."congrats, you have a new job, whenever it is that WE need you so be available at the drop of a hat!"

Dr.Brownz

I used a helper everyday this week. Friday my helper bailed on me, so I got some middle aged lady who decided she had enough after 2 hours, who was then replaced by an old man 2 hours later who ,whilst I was chaining up to continue delivering, decided he needed to go home because the roads were getting bad. Some real all-stars this season!

oldngray

nowhere special
My last few peaks UPS started that "only use helpers for 2 or 3 hours (or 2.99 actually) bit. I would keep telling them it was pointless and it took me more time to meet and drop off the helper and do the extra work with his time card and a second DIAD than any time is saved me delivering. My route was a mostly business route and a helper made little difference yet UPS mindset is all routes are the same and you can deliver 50% more work with a helper (even if it is only for a couple of hours). Of course UPS would not listen to things they didn't want to hear. And yet I would get a call from center manager in the middle of afternoon about late ETA after I had already told them in the AM. I guess stops were supposed to just magically disappear from my truck.

capers8

Well you're most definitely an employee however, you have not been employed. What a waste of everyone's time to string a person along like that..."congrats, you have a new job, whenever it is that WE need you so be available at the drop of a hat!"
In my experience, we were clearly told on multiple occasions to not expect a call until the Monday before Thanksgiving, even though we were hired over two weeks ago. These helpers that are complaining about not getting called yet are likely just bad listeners.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
In my experience, we were clearly told on multiple occasions to not expect a call until the Monday before Thanksgiving, even though we were hired over two weeks ago. These helpers that are complaining about not getting called yet are likely just bad listeners.
A lot of helpers are.

Siveriano

I have a helper for 3 days already unfortunately for me he is 62 years old and cant keep my pace, so instead of 22-25 stops per hour when im with him im doing 16-18 but it seems like my center dont really care, i spoke with the girl who set the helpers to see if they can give me a different one, and she just told me to keep rushing him or have him quit.

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
3 weeks with a helper already. Put first off truck after third day. Dont care what time they allow for them. i use till i am done with them.

slvrsable

I was a helper last peak season, my driver used me at least six hours a day, mon-fri from Dec. 2 to Jan. 8th. I'm glad I didn't have 2-3 hr shifts!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I heard drivers say the same thing here....only letting them use the helpers for 2 or 3 hours a day. And they wonder why people quit?

They try stringing them along.

The real problem is the Clarksville-helper numbers they use. They boost the stop count so you can't move all day, or give other areas so you are driving more miles, and then have a hissy fit when you can't get it done in time. "But you have a helper" they will say?

Same thing every year.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
They try stringing them along.

The real problem is the Clarksville-helper numbers they use. They boost the stop count so you can't move all day, or give other areas so you are driving more miles, and then have a hissy fit when you can't get it done in time. "But you have a helper" they will say?

Same thing every year.
Yup..my drivers are going out 75 stops heavier with a helper for 2 hours.....ridiculous.