Got let go by upper management, what to do?

Bobby Hill

I've been working for close to 3 months and also close to passing my probation date (needed 5 more days according to upper management) and today they told me I was being canned because they are starting to downsize and trying to figure out who to keep (within the next couple of weeks they said they'll give calls to people who want to come back).

However, I've been paying my union initiation fees from the get go but the other "seasonals" who came after me didn't pay any initiation fees at all, just their union dues. This is where I am confused if I'm really permanent part time or seasonal?

1. If seasonal or will not be getting a call back to come to work again, should I call my local teamster union to get a refund on the initiation fees? and how soon should I resolve this before its "too late" to get a return on this? (heard from many veteran UPSer's, the initiation fees indicate you are permanent part time?)

2. If I am permanent or would be coming back to work, will the initiation fees continue where I left off including the probation period that I have left?

Thanks

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've been working for close to 3 months and also close to passing my probation date (needed 5 more days according to upper management) and today they told me I was being canned because they are starting to downsize and trying to figure out who to keep (within the next couple of weeks they said they'll give calls to people who want to come back).

However, I've been paying my union initiation fees from the get go but the other "seasonals" who came after me didn't pay any initiation fees at all, just their union dues. This is where I am confused if I'm really permanent part time or seasonal?

1. If seasonal or will not be getting a call back to come to work again, should I call my local teamster union to get a refund on the initiation fees? and how soon should I resolve this before its "too late" to get a return on this? (heard from many veteran UPSer's, the initiation fees indicate you are permanent part time?)

2. If I am permanent or would be coming back to work, will the initiation fees continue where I left off including the probation period that I have left?

Thanks
Doesn't sound good.
They will normally give you more hope than that.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You can always go into management.
aS1rW.gif

P

pickup

He's not wrong.

If you're referring to his comment ,"job's not for everyone", then he is indeed not wrong. If you are referring to his opening comment "you must of sucked" then I disagree.

The original poster has three postings to his credit and none of them indicate that he was doing a bad job.

We have about 70 seasonal feeder drivers in my department and some are doing poorly, some average and quite a few very well.

We are starting to shed the good, the bad and the ugly
because we simply have to, volume is drying up. Simple as
that . For some who are being let go, it is no reflection of their having done a good job or not. It is possible that some will be hired permanently in months to come but not now.

So given we don't know if the original poster did a good job or not and that he does not have a history of smart Alec remarks, I didn't think the comment was called for .

AllOnTheHorses

If you have been been paying union fees.. then I suggest you speak to your union office. They will know best what your situation is.. if you can be saved. If you are still allowed in the building, I would seek out a union steward.. then still call local office to verify.

Bobby Hill

You must of sucked.

To answer your question, No I haven't; it wasn't just me but they were few people as well who came every single day, signed up for extra PT shifts, didn't come late at all & worked hard. My sup said he put in his recommendations for me to stay.

I was thinking about calling my HR rep on the situation but I don't know how to go through the proper channels for this situation. I can't really go into the facility any more and ask my shop steward or local union rep

Bobby Hill

If you're referring to his comment ,"job's not for everyone", then he is indeed not wrong. If you are referring to his opening comment "you must of sucked" then I disagree.

The original poster has three postings to his credit and none of them indicate that he was doing a bad job.

We have about 70 seasonal feeder drivers in my department and some are doing poorly, some average and quite a few very well.

We are starting to shed the good, the bad and the ugly
because we simply have to, volume is drying up. Simple as
that . For some who are being let go, it is no reflection of their having done a good job or not. It is possible that some will be hired permanently in months to come but not now.

So given we don't know if the original poster did a good job or not and that he does not have a history of smart Alec remarks, I didn't think the comment was called for .

Thanks for the support, I did my job well (at least to my knowledge), always did what the sup asked me to do with no problem. I've been coming into work every day and not being late; always helping others around me if they needed help. Getting along with my coworkers, sups, and even upper management full-timers that I see from time to time

PT Car Washer

Thanks for the support, I did my job well (at least to my knowledge), always did what the sup asked me to do with no problem. I've been coming into work every day and not being late; always helping others around me if they needed help. Getting along with my coworkers, sups, and even upper management full-timers that I see from time to time
Who are these "upper management people" you speak of.